Author Topic: Mountmellick Children's Home  (Read 8148 times)

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mountmellick Children's Home
« on: Thursday 26 August 10 13:31 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find out any information on a Mother and baby home in Mountmellick which is now St Vincents hospital, Co Laois.  Does anyone know if this was part of the workhouse?  The birth I am interested in was just after the second world war.  I am trying to learn something of the conditions of the home and what life was like for those living there.... also if people choose to be in the home of their free will.
Thanks, Clarissabell

Offline Mountmellick Local

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Mountmellick Children's Home
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 August 10 14:43 BST (UK) »
As far as I know, St Vincent's Hospital was a workhouse and not a mother & baby home per se.  I'll ask my Mum but I think that was its past history.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 August 10 16:15 BST (UK) »
There's links to Workhouse information in LAOIS RESOURCES at the top of this thread which will include its history.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 27 August 10 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks guys.  I am really trying to find when it stopped being a workhouse... I know the Sisters of Charity took over the running of it, but what kind of a "home" did it become then and if pregnant women were kept there against their will or not and if it was a sort of Magdeline Laundry. 
I've come across 2 children who were discharged from there just before they turned 3 years old and I wonder if that was a policy in the place, and if so, where did these children go once they turned 3?  Does anyone know if the mother's were involved in doing laundry work?  What happened to the toddlers while their mothers were working?? 
So many questions...

Offline Mountmellick Local

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 27 August 10 18:57 BST (UK) »
To be honest, I don't know about any of that. It was always a geriatric hospital in my lifetime and I only knew that it originated as a workhouse. But I'll see what I can find out and let you know...

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 August 10 19:01 BST (UK) »
From the workhouse website: "The workhouse later became St Vincent's Hospital. From 1903 to 1986, nursing care was provided by the Daughters of Charity."
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mrs Dalloway

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 August 10 21:32 BST (UK) »
Mountmellick local - that'd be brilliant if you could find out anything.... and yes aghadowey, I read that piece on the Workhouse website.  I wonder what "nursing care" means... 

I suppose I need to find out if this institution was a Laundry or not, as the case I am interested in shows that mother and child were in the home together for almost 3 years.  Surely both weren't "sick"... and if thery were what sort of care was provided?

Perhaps I need to get in touch with the Sisters of Charity.  I wonder if there is a convent still in the area. 

I really appreciate your help.  Thanks,
Clarissabell

Offline benababy5

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 19 April 19 15:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I just found your post. My grandmother is from mountmellick and she remembers seeing babies in the home. She also vividly remembers women on their knees scrubbing the floors. Si mountmellick was definitely a mother and baby home

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 April 19 11:41 BST (UK) »
http://www.workhouses.org.uk

Mountmellick Co Leix Laois

became St Vincents in 1903 to 1986, Daughters of Charity

unmarried girls would have been sent there to have there baby, most times the girls were not allowed to keep the baby