Author Topic: Minns in Devon, Essex and London  (Read 988 times)

Offline rjknott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Minns in Devon, Essex and London
« on: Thursday 26 August 10 15:01 BST (UK) »
Emily Jane Lane MINNS was born in Mar/Jun 1853 in Devon, the daughter of Lancelot and Elizabeth (nee Lane, 1831 Devon) MINNS.

Lancelot went off to Northumberland, his place of birth, via India, apparently leaving his family for good.

By 1861 Emily and her mother are in Essex:

RG9/1089  Woodham Walter
John Coe, 65, b Kent
Hannah Coe, 68, b Hatfield P, Essex
Elizabeth Ellen Coe, 28, daughter-in-law, b Bitbury (?), Devon
Emily Mins, 7, visitor, b Plymouth, Devon

The 1841 census offers three Coe sons as a potential husband (George, 19; William, 17; James, 10), the last of whom looks promising as he is a widow in 1851; but he appears to have married someone else. Elizabeth's 'husband' is only useful in helping to find her in later censuses, but I can't find a marriage.

There is an odd entry in 1891:

RG12/1360   Woodford, Walthamstow, Essex
Elizabeth L Minns (?), 60, widow, mother, b Devonshire (transcribed as MUNNIS)
Laura Besant, 30, widow, dau, b London
Ralph Besant, 31, single, son, b Scotland

It would appear to be her (and suggest that she was never married to a Mr Coe), but Laura is a new name. Ralph and Laura's surnames and status are hard to interpret.

There is an Elizabeth E Coe, 46, married to Joshua J Coe, living in Lambeth in 1881 but they appear to have married in 1876 in Stoke Damerel, Devon in 1876 where they were both born; and a possible death in 1895.

Any other sightings of Elizabeth or Emily would be gratefully received.

Richard
All the families I am researching are listed on the main page here:
www.64regencyancestors.com

Census: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Victorian Historian

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Minns in Devon, Essex and London
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 21 April 19 18:19 BST (UK) »
Over the past few years I have been researching the loss of the ship Resolute at Balaklava on 14th November 1854. My research arose from having seen an account of the incident written by a member of the Royal Artillery, William Saunders" who was on board the Resolute when she went down. Saunders refers to "A gunner named Minns who was saved with me ..." This led me to research Lancelot Minns and in doing so I came across your "64 Regency Ancestors" webpage and your posts on RootsChat.Com. I have recently published a two-part article about William Saunders and the loss of the Resolute which includes and credits you with information from your website, but also iincludes further information on Minns' Royal Artillery career I found in  research at the National Archives at Kew.

It seems to me that you would find this of interest, but that you would be unlikely to come across the article yourself. I had hoped to be able to find an email address for you but have not done so. I have therefore joined RootsChat.com as a means to communicate with you. I am entirely new to it and had hoped to be able to write solely to you, rather than in a post, but am not sure I have achieved that! I hope you don't mind me getting in touch. If you see this and are interested, please reply and we will try to work out how best I can refer you to the material on Minns.

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 21 April 19 18:36 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat, Victorian Historian.  Richard (rjknott) should get an email notification that you have posted on the thread.  Personal messages can be sent between individuals off-thread once you have a couple more posts to your credit.

I wonder whether any headway was ever made with the Minns/Coe/Besant question, which appears to have been overlooked on here since the thread was started nearly 9 years ago?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline rjknott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 21 April 19 20:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for posting.

As you will have seen, it is Lanty Minns' sister who is the direct ancestor rather than Lanty himself, but I included something of him in her biography on the website: I think her life is one of the most interesting of the 64.

My site crashed a few months ago and when I rewrote it I didn't include a contact address, but I have now corrected that. I've also sent you a PM, so either should give you what you need.

I knew that Lanty had fought with the RA at Sevastobol, but knew nothing of the ship you mention, so it would be good to know more.

Richard

Offline rjknott

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 May 19 17:34 BST (UK) »
I wonder whether any headway was ever made with the Minns/Coe/Besant question, which appears to have been overlooked on here since the thread was started nearly 9 years ago?

No real progess! I have established that Elizabeth (no second name when baptised) was born in Bigbury, Devon in 1826 (so her age is rarely right on the censuses), daughter of William Lane, shoemaker (as i says on her marriage certificate to Lancelot Minns); but no definite sightings after 1861.

I've also become convinced that the Besants in the 1891 census are not related.

Richard

(Contact has been made with Victorian Historian)