Author Topic: Drill Hall Carluke - Edmonstone  (Read 2515 times)

Offline RachelHewson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Drill Hall Carluke - Edmonstone
« on: Thursday 26 August 10 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hello all - I'm a newbie so pls be gentle with me!

My maiden name was Edmonstone and I've used Scotlands People website massively to trace back my family tree to the early 1800s. At present I am looking at a branch of a great great uncle who was John Edmonstone, a Colour Sergeant in the Light Infantry based at the Drill Hall in Carluke in the early 1900s. He has quite a tragic (and I'm sure all too common) story in terms of the number of children he had that died very young. I found a gravestone picture online just yesterday with details of himself and 6 of his kids that died.

John himself died in 1910 aged 45, his wife died in 1917 but from the births I have found there were two surviving children. Janet Shaw Edmonstone, born 1905 and Maggie Edmonstone, born 1903. I have found a death cert for Janet in 1986 (no marriage) but cant find any more trace of Maggie, no marriage or deaths. I've looked on Ancestry to see if there are any English records but also to no avail.

Sooooo...anyone have any ideas where I can go next with my search for her? And also where I could find out more about what would have happened to them, given that they would have been only 14 and 12 when their mother died. I've googled the Drill Hall in Carluke but also cant find much info about that.

Any advice from experts will be gratefully received!!

Rachel

Offline fancy nancy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Drill Hall Carluke - Edmonstone
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 August 10 18:58 BST (UK) »
Hi there, why not try Carluke Historical Centre, they are based at 79 Hamilton Street Carluke and are open on the last Saturday of the month from 10am to 12 midday.
They have quite a knowledge of information.

Offline lud

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 August 10 19:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel,
she may have emigrated, there is one Margaret Edmonstone age 26 departed Glasgow to Canada in 1927  http://www.rootschat.com/links/09lt/
Lud

Offline PALMARC

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 12 April 13 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel, I know its a couple of years since you posted this thread, but I have just found it and hear is some info that may or may not be of use to you. I found this whilst trawling my way through the intimations in the Carluke Gazette from 1906. Sometimes the newspaper published an obituary or just a detail of the deceased.
DEATH OF SERGEANT JOHN EDMONSTONE: Sergeant John Edmonstone, Drill Instructor, passed away somewhat suddenly, at his residence, Drill Hall, on Friday evening last week. Deceased, who was 41 years of age, was a native of Cockenzie, Fife. Twenty two years ago, he enlisted in the 1st Battalion of the Highland Light Infantry and served with his regiment in the insurection at Cresta. Something like 8 years ago, Sergeant Edmonstone came from the depot in Hamilton to set as Drill Instructor to the Law Company of Volounteers and his work gave satisfaction to all concerned. A little over 2 years ago he was appointed Drill Instructor to "D" (Carluke) Company, 8th H.L.I., in which capacity he has since served. His illness only lasted for a few days and terminated totally on Friday as stated.
   The remains of Sergeant Edmonstone were interred in Wilton Cemetery on Monday with military honours. The military party accompanying the cortege numbered over 200 and consisted of Territorials, Imperial Yeomanry and a party of Sergeants from the depot at Hamilton. The officers present were Adjutant Stevenson, Major Anderson, Captain Hunter, Captain Gibb and Lieutenant Gray. The coffin which was covered with many beautiful wreaths was carried to the grave by a party of Sergeants.
    A short religious service was conducted by the Rev. F.M. Hauxwell. The parting salute was fired over the grave and the bugles sounded the Last Post. Deceased was of a genial nature and very popular with those he associated with. He leaves a widow and family.
    I also came accross this death in October, 1918. EDMONSTONE: At Shotts Sanitorium, on 17th inst., Millicent Kate Edmonstone, daughter of the late Colour Sergeant John Edmonstone, Carluke, in her 18th year. This would put her born circa 1900 and I just wondered if she could have been your missing Margaret.
Hope this is of some use to you. If I come across any other Edmonstone info, I'll be in touch, but it may be some time yet.
Regards Allan
Gilchrist, Ogilvie, Muir, Pillans, Gibson, Gold, Hobart

Offline lud

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 13 April 13 09:39 BST (UK) »
Palmarc
compliments for information, his headstone can be found on www.scottishwargravesproject  and is buried in Lanarkshire  Wilton cemetery Carluke,great work,
Thanks
Lud

Offline RachelHewson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 January 18 11:44 GMT (UK) »
THank you - even though it's some years late in thanking you! I've just got back into my genealogy and so this is very helpful!