Author Topic: Help in finding parents  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Robert Forster 1892-1913
    • View Profile
Help in finding parents
« on: Thursday 26 August 10 16:40 BST (UK) »
Original posting http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,404274.0.html

???I entered this post quite a while ago and still struggling to find anything concrete, just wondered if anyone would be able to help again. Really struggling, searching a name like Forster in the north east is like trying to find a Smith. I did do a search on Thomas Forster born apprx 1792 in Tanfield and came up with possible parents of Thomas born 1763 and Jane Collins 1765 married in Tanfield in 1788 but really dont know how to evidence this. Any suggestions please
Kind regards
Mercel 
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

CENSUS & BMD INFO IS CROWN COPYRIGHT www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline esdel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help in finding parents
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Mercel

I have some Tanfield Durham folk who married one or two Foster/Forster
Let me know lots of names  and I will see what I can find
esdel
Bouch, Say, Marshall, Sproule, Turnbull,  Newby, Rouse, Curwen. Birdhope Craig

Offline esdel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 November 10 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Might the Bishop's Transcripts for Tanfield help you?

https://beta.familysearch.org/s/image/show#uri=http%3A//pilot.familysearch.org/records/trk%3A/fsrs/idgs%3A004047845.004047845_00021&hash=Mrd8SMocDIIen2Q83tu%252B82PRagg%253D

If your folk stayed in the Tanfield area it may be worth going forward and seeing if you can find their children's baptisms as well as ancestors

At times the parish registers were quite detailed - it depends on which vicar wrote them up (the Shute Barrington years 1797-1812 are very good)
If you are lucky you may find the the parent's birthplaces and / or their descent in what normally is a simple christening record.

A friend of mine has just been typing up some Northumberland records for FreeReg and the parish of Rothbury showed the mother of a child being baptised as 'daughter of (her father's name)' and 'native of (her birthplace)'. The birthplace of the parents was often included at that time
Such "extra" info won't be included in the IGI, though it will be included in the Free Reg database, if the relevant records have been transcribed.
If you find baptisms the images may be on the LDS pilot or beta sites, within the Bishops  Transcripts for Durham/ Northumberland.

Good hunting!
esdel
Bouch, Say, Marshall, Sproule, Turnbull,  Newby, Rouse, Curwen. Birdhope Craig

Offline Mercel

• RootsChat Senior
  • John Robert Forster 1892-1913
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 November 10 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Esdel, I will look into that. I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.
Kind regards
Mercel ;D
Hepworth - Yorkshire and Durham, <br />Forster, Thompson, Heatherington- Durham, <br />Harkness and Devlin- Glasgow, <br />Bolton and Smiths Sunderland, <br />Galey, Norfolk and Sunderland. <br />Cory - Heacham Norfolk<br />Connelly - Ireland,<br />Carson - Ireland, <br />McKay, Glasgow and Ireland,<br /> Tait,Ireland<br />Turley, Sunderland and Ireland, Devlin Londonderry Ireland, Higgans, londonderry Ireland, Hamilton, Ireland

CENSUS & BMD INFO IS CROWN COPYRIGHT www.nationalarchives.gov.uk