Author Topic: Can't find 18yo Walter Massey Bishop on 1881 census  (Read 1721 times)

Offline jamessurloire

• RootsChat Extra
  • Just getting started...
    • View Profile
Can't find 18yo Walter Massey Bishop on 1881 census
« on: Thursday 26 August 10 22:39 BST (UK) »
I am hoping someone might be able to lend their experience in helping me find Walter Massey Bishop on the 1881 census.

What I know about Walter:

• Walter Massey Bishop was born 05/01/1863 in St Helier Jersey and was baptised 29/11/1863 in St Helier parish church. His parents were George Gillman Bishop and Elizabeth Rachel Fleming.

• On census day 02/04/1871 Walter was living at 32 Pier Road St Helier Jersey with his maternal grandparents John Fleming and Elizabeth/Betsey (maiden name possibly Guill), his uncle John Fleming & aunt Rachel Fleming, his mother, and his 2 brothers Arveld George Winter Bishop and Charles Fleming Bishop.

• On census day 03/04/1881, I know that Walter's future wife 15 year-old Emma Louisa Hassell (or Hassall or Harsell) was working as a servant at 49 Bath Street in St Helier Jersey. However I have no idea where Walter was; I can't seem to find him anywhere.

• Some time in the following few years I presume Walter married Emma, though I don't know when or where.

• Walter’s son John W Bishop was born around 1886. Walter’s son Hubert R Bishop was born around 1888.

• On census day 05/04/1891 Walter was a stationary engine driver, living at 1 Tunnel Cottages on Tunnel Street in St Helier Jersey (present day Tunnell Street) with his wife and sons.

• Walter’s daughter Florence Gertrude Bishop was born 24/08/1891 and was baptised 27/09/1891 in St Helier parish church.  Walter’s daughter Lillian May Bishop was born 05/04/1893 and was baptised 23/04/1893 in St Helier parish church.

• On census day 31/03/1901 Walter was still an engine driver, was still living at 1 Tunnel Cottages with his wife and 4 kids.

I don't have access to the 1911 census nor any death or burial records so I don't know any of the story post 1901.

Where I'm really looking for your help though is trying to figure out where 18-year-old Walter might be in 1881, as it's probably just before his marriage. Maybe I'm just not being clever enough in my search... Might he be doing military service? Did the census include the armed forces?

Any light you can shed on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks very much

James
Current focus: Hill, Peters, in and around Bristol ; and Bishop, in and around London

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Can't find 18yo Walter Massey Bishop on 1881 census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 September 10 13:26 BST (UK) »
Hi James

I'm afraid I can't offer any answer as to why he can't be found in the 1881 census. I have looked in the Seamans Pension records to see if a WMB was paying in to the pension fund, which would have meant he was a sailor, but there are no entries.

However I can see a marriage record in the index for St Simon's Church, St. Helier for ELH, Jun 1872 to Nov 1938 on page 136. There is a WMB on the same page.

Stewart

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.