Author Topic: John Maynard St Dunstans Stepney d. 1557...memorial in church?  (Read 3587 times)

Offline dayvida

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Maynard St Dunstans Stepney d. 1557...memorial in church?
« on: Friday 27 August 10 06:41 BST (UK) »
I'm following up a reference contained in the will of John Maynarde, d. 1557, mercer of London and briefly sheriff of London in the 1550s.  Maynarde left specific instructions about the location and inscription of his tomb in Stepney church in the course of the will.  I'm having trouble locating an online guide for memorials at St. Dunstan's, though perhaps I'm looking in the wrong place.  His will was written 5 November 1557, and proved on 23 November.  I'm guessing then that he would have died around the 20th.  Maynarde lived at the manor of Poplar, near what became the old East India Docks. 

Equally of interest would be whether his widow, Eleanor (Tuke) Maynarde was buried with him.  I don't know whether she remarried after his death, but only that she survived him.  Eleanore was a daughter of Sir Bryan Tuke, Treasurer of the Chamber for Henry VIII, and an aid to both Cardinal Wolsey and Thomas Cromwell.  John Maynarde was one of two sons-in-law named by Tuke as overseers of his will of 1545.  An odd side note:  I've not seen any posted family group sheets for Tuke that show his daughter Eleanor and her husband John Maynarde.  I descend from Tuke's daughter Mary, who married Sir Reynold Scott of Scott's Hall, Kent.

Children mentioned in John Maynarde's will include Frances, Elizabeth, and Susan.  Thanks for any help with this! :)
Barham/ Berham in Kent and E. Sussex, Franckelyn/etc. in Kent, Sare in Kent, Ady/Adie in Kent, plus allieds.  Families tended to range from Wadhurst, E. Sussex, to Maidstone area and east to Faversham, plus London.  Focus on early Tudor to Restoration (ca. 1500 thru 1690), and Maidstone area parishes.  Family tied to 17th C. Virginia.

Offline Lady Di

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Maynard St Dunstans Stepney d. 1557...memorial in church?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 27 August 10 07:43 BST (UK) »
From Google Books:

"Notes & Queries: Volume 172"

" ... died in 1557, his will dated 5 Nov. 1557 (wherein he described himself as " John Maynarde of Poplar, Co. Middlesex, Esquire ") being proved in the PCC on 23 Nov. 1557. He was buried within the chancel of Stepney Church on 12 Nov. 1557 as recorded in ...... "

It also mentions "...one of the seven children of Sir Brian Tuke of Layer Marney, Co. Essex, Treasurer of King Henry... "

I can only see a small portion of the text but you may have better luck.

Edit - you may also find some family information on the relevant Visitations of London/Essex etc

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Meriel

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 27 August 10 20:48 BST (UK) »
Hi,

You may already have done this but thought I would mention it in case you haven't. If you go to

http://www.british-history.ac.uk/

and type in John Maynard 1557 in the search box there are some items that I think relate to your man and are very interesting (though not all are relevant).

Meriel
smith : leage : emerson : anderton : hart : boyce : baker : weaver :
penycate : greenway : taylor : wellbelove : bulmer : fanning : turnham : whitehouse

Offline dayvida

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 29 August 10 05:41 BST (UK) »
Thanks to both you guys for the help.  The "Notes & Queries" text beyond the snippet is a pay-per-view at Oxford Press, which I've done ($11 US).  The B/H Online reference has some good bits, which have enticed me to look for a printed edition of Henry Machyn's diary.  Essentially Pepys about 100 years before Pepys!  A rare glimpse into the Tudor social world of mid-century.  Machyn praises Maynarde's edition of the Lord of Misrule tradition at his Poplar manor, and likewise thought highly of the food served at Maynarde's funeral afters.

An interesting sidebar from John Maynarde's will is a reference to a promised betrothal between his daughter Frances and "Sir Edward Seymer," who I take to be Edward Seymour, which is very intriguing indeed.  That would be Anne's brother, and we know that this marriage didn't happen.  Frances did marry, but to another fellow entirely.  I can't think of another candidate for the fellow cited in the will, so I'm doubly curious about how this original intention came about!  If there are any Seymour scholars out there who can shed light, I'd love to hear!

Cheers again for the assist. :)
Barham/ Berham in Kent and E. Sussex, Franckelyn/etc. in Kent, Sare in Kent, Ady/Adie in Kent, plus allieds.  Families tended to range from Wadhurst, E. Sussex, to Maidstone area and east to Faversham, plus London.  Focus on early Tudor to Restoration (ca. 1500 thru 1690), and Maidstone area parishes.  Family tied to 17th C. Virginia.

Offline thelaststraw

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 04 October 10 17:46 BST (UK) »
Hello
I am very new here, but I was searching information on the Tuke family, of which my mother was one, and I arrived here.  I would love others to let me know what they know about the descendants of Sir Brian Tuke, as my mother's family has always had a Brian.  Her brother was the last, as far as I know.
Tuke, Newman, Wayland

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 07 November 17 21:27 GMT (UK) »
This John MAYNARDE is mentioned in the 1588 will of my ancestor “And my body to be buried in the chauncell of the parishe churche of Stepney by my late brother John MAYNARD if I happen ther to departe this life”

She is Agnes HUSYE “daughter and heir of John HUSYE Esquire, the second son of Thomas HUSYE of Shapwicke, in the County of Dorset”
She was married 4 times ;
1st to Roger MORE (d. 1551)
2nd to Thomas CURSSON (d. 1555)
3rd to Michaell WENTWORTHE (d. 1558)
4th to Edward SAUNDERS (d. 1576)

I am trying to identify how my Agnes relates to the John MAYNARDE. Can anyone help me, please?

Grantley

PS; I have a copy of John MAYNARDE’s 1557 will.

Offline Speedway ace

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 05 February 22 23:46 GMT (UK) »
 She is most certainly Agnes Maynard, (Dame Agnes Saunders) her brother is John Maynard she cant be mistaken of her own brother. The problem stems from the Inscription to Roger Moore in Bicester church, it is poorly formulated and can be missread or perceived. If read carfully it can be seen that Agnes Husye/Hussey is the wife of Rogers father (who's name is omitted) Agnes Hussey is Rogers mother not his wife also named Agnes. If you read it as Agnes Hussy is his wife then must must also perceive that it reads that she is buried with him which patently is not true.

Here lyeth buried the 20th September 1551 Roger Moore ESQ,...... second son of ? More of the More and his wife Agnes daughter and heir of John Hussey etc   (clearly the wife of his father)
The person who made the inscription  or even the person who copied the details (as I believe it no longer exists) did not make the distinction bettween his mother Agnes and his wife Agnes.
Again Agnes is very unlikely to be mistaken about her own brother John Maynard.

Hope this helps, Nigel
Plankney, Copcott, Hampton, Crant, Johnson Baynham, Lyghtfote, Southwick, Legate and others in England & Calais (France)

Offline Speedway ace

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 06 February 22 14:36 GMT (UK) »
this may be of interest?... ref John Maynard/Manard, Wife named as Margaret and daughter Susan had 3 husbands, Francis married Walter Roberts.

Middlesex Pedigrees, as colleceted by Richard Munday, Archive.org
Plankney, Copcott, Hampton, Crant, Johnson Baynham, Lyghtfote, Southwick, Legate and others in England & Calais (France)

Offline grantleydawn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My collateral ancestors
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 February 22 08:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Nigel and thankyou.

As it transpired Dame Agnes SAUNDERS was the daughter of John HUSSEY of Shapwick, Dorset.

Her sister was Margaret, the first wife of John MAYNARD (will 1557, buried Stepney)

John MAYNARD's daughter Fraunces first married Walter ROBERTS and second to William BIRDE. They appear in Dame Agnes SAUNDERS 1588 will as "my neece Ffraunces BIRDE . . . . and her husband Mr William BIRDE".

Dame Agnes SAUNDERS mentioned in her 1588 will that if she died in Stepney, then she wished to be buried by her late brother John MAYNARD. Wills of long ago rarely included the words "in-law", like we do today.

Dame Agnes SAUNDERS ended up being memoralised in St Etheldreda's Church, Hatfield, Hertfordshire with her daughter Elizabeth BROCKET. Her memorial confirms that she was the daughter of John HUSSEY.

This is my transcript of the memorial stone ;
IN THE MEMORY OF DAME AGNES SANDERS, WHO DECEA
SED THE XX DAY OF OCTOBER ANNO DNI 1588
FREIND AS THOV BY THIS MONVMENT DOST PAS
AND HERE SEEST WHAT I AM : READE WHAT I WAS
HVSSY MY FATHER WAS, AND I HIS HEYE
MY HVSBANDES MOORE, CVRSON, AND SANDERS, WERE.
BY MOORE, I OF TWO DAVGHTERS WAS A MOTHER
WHEREOF BLOVNT, ONE, BROCKET ESPOVSED ANOTHER
ONE DAVGTER AND SOLE HEYRE, OF CVRSONS BED
I THEN BROVGHT FORTH, WHOM I TO FARMOVR WED
OF SANDERS LORD CHEIFFE BARON, ONE, NO MORE
BVT ONLY NAME I LASTLY HITHER BORE,
WHERE SHE WHOM I ENCLOSED IN MY WOMBE
BY CVRSON HATH ENCLASD ME IN THIS TOMBE
IF OF MY VERTVES THOV WOVLDST MEMORY SEE
IN HIR I LEFTE THEM WHO IN THIS LAID ME
THEN LET THIS SACRED ACTE HIR LOVE SET FORTH
AND HIR RELIGIOVS LOVE DECLARE MY WORTH.

Io: hufsey esquire of the houfe of
shapwick in dorfetfhire
Roger moore of burcester efquire
Tho: carfon of waterperry esquire
Sir Edw: Sanders knight, Lo: cheife barro'
Sir mychaell Blount of maple dirrham
Sir Io: brocket of brocket hall
Sir george farmour of eastoneston
In northton shire
     Dame Mary Farmer