Author Topic: Possible burial places for Rathdrum Area?  (Read 22831 times)

Offline wicklow way

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Possible burial places for Rathdrum Area?
« on: Saturday 28 August 10 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I've been looking for the possible death/burial place of my ggg grandmother and grandfather. He was baptised in Rathdrum (COI) in 1831 and seem to have lived there during his first marriage (COI)and later during his marriage (RC) to my ggg grandmother.
They were both alive in 1901 and by 1911 she was a widow. Yesterday, I looked at burial places in Rathdrum (RC) and Greenan (RC) but graves dated from around the late 1940-1950s. I also checked the (COI) grave yard in Rathdrum but had no luck.
Is there a register of deaths/burials I can check? I have looked through the Wicklow Headstone Index for the areas close to Rathdrum but have had no luck.
Any guidance would be much appreciated
Wicklow way

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Possible burial places for Rathdrum Area?
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 August 10 09:45 BST (UK) »
I've been looking for the possible death/burial place of my ggg grandmother and grandfather. He was baptised in Rathdrum (COI) in 1831...
Is there a register of deaths/burials I can check?

You can search for death registrations on the Irish BMD Index on familysearch (this covers up to 1958). Death certs do not state place of burial, but finding an exact date may help locate a death notice in a local newspaper which may possibly mention the cemetery.

see also : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline wicklow way

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 August 10 11:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Thank you for your help once again!.
I had checked the Irish BMD Index but nothing came up. But when I put in my details again I got what I think may be my ggg grandfather and his son also David, both died 1906.
Despite a large family, I can't seem to find many of them on the Death Index.
Whilst looking at the Index, I see the Rathdown district has some names which could be related. Which area does this cover? Would Rathdrum be included in this by any chance?

Thanks again

Wicklow way

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 28 August 10 12:18 BST (UK) »
Rathdown registration distrct covers areas of south east co. Dublin and north of Co. Wicklow down to about Greystones on the east coast and inland to Enniskerry.

Rathdrum is the largest registration district in the county, and covers a much of the east of the county to the south of Rathdown district, and includes towns such as Kilcoole, Newtownmountkennedy,  and south to Rathnew, Glenealy, Redcross, Arklow, Rathdrum town & Wickow town.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline wicklow way

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 28 August 10 17:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Shane.
I wasn't too sure if part of the Rathdrum area might be included in the Rathdown District.
Whilst looking at archives of Rootsweb, there is a mention of an
Abraham Atkinson, died 25th November 1870 in the Workhouse, Rathdown, consumption 10 days
. There is a possible connection as my ggg grandfather David had a brother called Abner. Will have to look into this some more.
Also mentioned were deaths for
Abner Atkinson 24th August 1870 , 88yrs, pensioner, married
- Davids Father and
Maria Atkinson, certified death Rathdrum
- Davids wife..
I have also found that David and Marias son David died between Jan-April 1906, David himself died between April- June 1906 and their daughter Elizabeth died between April- June 1906. I will have to get their death certs to find cause of deaths. This is terribly sad, all that loss.......
Does anyone know of earlier burial grounds in the Rathdrum area for COI & RC 1870s - 1920
Any other guidance much appreciated

Wicklow way

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 29 August 10 19:22 BST (UK) »
Abraham Atkinson, died 25th November 1870 in the Workhouse, Rathdown, consumption 10 days
not quite on topic, but the Workhouse is now St Colmcille's Hosp in Loughlinstown.

I've been looking at the O.S. maps for the area round Rathdrum, but I can't see any obvious cemeteries, other than those you mention.

There may be small graveyards around other churches - I know there's one in Asknagap(RC), but that's a bit further ...

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline wicklow way

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 21:13 BST (UK) »
Hi eadaoin,

Yes, I looked up the Rathdown Workhouse after Shanew147 pointed out the area involved and found out some very interesting things about it. I didn't realise it was on the site where St. Colmcilles now stands.

I will look at Asknagap and see if there is anything relating to my search.
Thank you for your help

regards

Wicklow way

Offline Venezia

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 April 11 15:26 BST (UK) »
Kilcommon Graveyard (a small old graveyard up in a field just outside Rathdrum, on the Glenealy road, is a possibility. There are gravestones there from at least 1735 to the 1930's (not exact, just based on a visit). Hope that helps.

Offline LH

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 28 April 11 19:42 BST (UK) »
Have you taken a look at:
http://search.freefind.com/find.html?si=13812782&pid=r&n=0&_charset_=windows-1252&query=atkinson
which may show some of your Atkinsons.
Abner Atkinson is mentioned.

Cheers