Author Topic: Clark, Sheaf, Waterman of Portsea  (Read 22025 times)

Offline little drummer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Clark, Sheaf, Waterman of Portsea
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 11:41 GMT (UK) »
i have some info on the sheaf family. how much do you know all ready.  louisa elizabeth sheaf,she married joseph j billows in 1881.
joseph was a licenced victualler in 1901, they lived in cows on thr isle of wight. they had 3 children florence mary louisa,ruby aubrey . and a son ivan howard, if you need more info just let me knoe. hope this is some help to you

Offline little drummer

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 14 December 10 11:56 GMT (UK) »
i have some info on the sheaf family. how much do you know all ready.  louisa elizabeth sheaf,she married joseph j billows in 1881.
joseph was a licenced victualler in 1901, they lived in cows on the  isle of wight. they had 3 children florence mary louisa,ruby aubrey . and a son ivan howard, if you need more info just let me know. hope this is some help to you

Offline DMCLARK

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 18 December 10 02:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I have also read in some places that the woman was either named Esther or Hester. I wonder which one is correct? It does not seem to be a 'family name'?

So far I have found five children of Jessie and James Clark.

James Colin Clark b. 1888 Western Australia d. 1948 (my great grandfather)
Arthur Vivian Clark b abt 1891 d 1916
Jessie Mildred Clark b 1893 Queensland d. 1943 Queensland
Arthur Campbell Clark b 1886 Western Australia d 1886 Western Australia (15 days old)
Harold Reginald Clark b 1894 Queensland d 1895 (13 months old)

I do not know much about James Clark. Unfortunately, we were never really told any stories.

Offline super15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 20 December 10 06:06 GMT (UK) »
Hello All,
I came across this list while googling to find out about Portsmouth commercial fishers in the mid-C19th, what type of fishing they did etc. I'm an academic maritime historian specializing in Australian pearl-shelling, so I know quite a bit about James Clark who was for many years the most influential man in the industry. There's a lot to know about him. Orphaned at three, he died in Brisbane in 1933 a very wealthy man. I also know about his brothers Steve and AJ (Aaron John) because in the 1890s they were part of the syndicate known as the Clark Combination which I have published on in the academic journals. James withdrew from pearl-shelling in 1919, but he had wisely invested in sheep stations with a partner and owned half-a-dozen of the best properties in Queensland by the time he died, one of them running about 140,000 sheep! I don't know anything as yet about any of the other children of Adam & Louisa, and was interested to read from lindynz that Joe went to NZ. BTW, I think it was Steve who was with his father when the cutter Friend went down. After that, and Louisa's death a short time later, James ended up in the Protestant Orphan School at Parramatta, run at the time by the daughter of Samuel Marsden, known in Aus & NZ as the 'flogging parson' - I hate to think what that was like!
Regards

Offline super15

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 08 July 11 04:47 BST (UK) »
Hello DMClark,
Just to say I got your message and have tried every which-way to reply, but to no avail. :-\ The system won't allow me and I don't know how to convince it otherwise. However, this gives me the opportunity to correct something I wrote in my earlier post. James did not go to the Parramatta Orphan School. I sent to the NSW State Archives for the file and it turned out to be another James Clark. I'm sorry for misleading people about that. I'm now working on the idea that the children stayed together at Dempsey Island, made possible by Louisa's quick marriage to James Fraiser, who may have been Adam's partner. If you send me another message I might have more luck with a reply.
Regards
Steve

Offline Tom Piper

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 08 July 11 08:35 BST (UK) »
DM Clark & super15

I think that you will have to make at least three postings before you can send personal messages, and that means postings on another thread, contributing to someone else's thread to increase your rating as it were. Maybe Little Nell can help but that I think is the way.

This particular thread has made interesting reading since it was first posted-shows the value of Rootschat.

Tom

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 08 July 11 20:55 BST (UK) »
Tom is correct - the personal message systems has a small restriction on it when you first join.

Just add your reply here, unless it contains private information.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline brendamac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 01:48 BST (UK) »
 :DHello from New Zealand
I am helping my stepchildren do their family tree, they are descended from Aaron SHEAF and Elizabeth WATERMAN.
Their Grandmother (still alive and living on the Isle of Wight) is a Great Grandaughter to them - Aaron & Elizabeth.
I have been very pleased to find the postings about them and because I had been working from almost total ignorance about the SHEAF family I have discovered quite a lot and managed to create an interesting, although at times rather tragic tree.
There was a descendant who now lives in New Zealand, I would be pleased to hear from that person as I am in Hamilton New Zealand, as is my stepson and his sister also a descendant lives in Perth, West Australia.
A question :  All the family trees and researchers quote Aaron SHEAF's wife as Elizabeth nee WATERMAN. Does anyone know where Elizabeth's maiden surname is referenced or sourced ?
Kind regards,
Brenda
Hamilton, New Zealand

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 12 July 11 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Brenda

The marriage between Aaron Sheaf and Elizabeth Waterman took place in Portsea on 22 Feb 1819.  This is from a transcript of the parish register.  It is also included on the IGI from extracted records.  I reckon it's a safe bet to say that you can take the details as correct.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk