Author Topic: Castle Family History  (Read 14296 times)

Offline Susan Larson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Castle Family History
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 21 November 10 05:32 GMT (UK) »
Brie

I see  you are interested in John Horace Castle (1882).  According to my research and stories from my family, he was called Horace.  He was born Jan 19, 1882 in Worksop.  He married Ellen Gertrude (Nellie) Irwin.  at the Abbey Church in Worksop on June 19, 1907. You may already have this information, but it is all I have at this time.  I think i have a nice photo of him as a young man.  I will have to check my files.

Susan

Offline Susan Larson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 21 November 10 05:56 GMT (UK) »
I am looking to verify information I have found on John Castle born Jan 19, 1819 in Grantham, Lincolnshire.

I believe his father was John Castle born Feb 11, 1789 in Bourne, Lincolnshire.

His mother was Mary.
(Possibly Mary Rowley born in 1792.)

I also found a Thomas Castle born in 1753 in Gosberton, Lincolnshire (wife Mary)  that I believe was the father of John (1789).

If anyone can verify this information I would appreciate it.  If these are the correct people, I have more information on other children, etc.

Susan

Offline Babbacombegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 21 November 10 09:27 GMT (UK) »
I have John Castle born 1819, died 1885 who was married to Elizabeth.  His sons were Austin, Edward, John, Tom and George.  I have a copy of his Will.  You say you have a photo outside the family home.  Is this a house or the carriage works?  I would be interested in having copies of anything that you have and would be happy to send you anything that I have.

George Ernest Castle was my grandfather and yes he had red hair and was a tall man as was my father Tom Castle.  I do get rather muddled up with all the Johns.  I can confirm also that we come from the Herrod family.

Offline Brie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 21 November 10 10:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Welcome to rootschat.

As you mentioned I am very interested in John Horace Castle. I have seen the details of the marriage at Notts record office. I will PM you with the details I have about Ellen etc.

With regards to your queries about the Castles in Lincolnshire, I would suggest you place a post on the Lincolnshire board. There are some excellent genesleuths there  :)

Brie

Offline Susan Larson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 21 November 10 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all who responded to my queries.  It looks like several of us are Castle cousins.   I am happy to send any of you my information and pictures.  I will need to spend some time going through my research and scanning the info and pictures before I send it out.  Our branch of the family went to America and ended up in California.  Besides my information, I have some family stories given to me by Betty Wilson of Ossington, Newark.  I will go through those again and see if they pertain to any of you.  Betty recently died. She was the daughter of Harry Castle, 1886.

Susan 

Offline Babbacombegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 21 November 10 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Blimey my Dad always said that one of the Castle family went to San Francisco.  I tried several times to see if I could find that branch and now it looks as if I have.  Brilliant.

Offline Babbacombegirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 26 November 10 16:16 GMT (UK) »
I also have a copy of the Newark Herald of January 1885 reporting on the death of John Castle who committed suicide by hanging in Lombard Street.  Sad end.

Offline tup1

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 27 November 10 18:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I looked on the(Freereg site) and found the following information in regards to baptisms at St Wulframs Church Grantham I thought these might be of interest to you.I am no connection to the Castle family.

Parents  John & Martha Castle  abode Little Gonerby (an area in Grantham)  occupation.Cutler.

Elizabeth  born 24/June/1812.Bap.27/June/1812 Buried 22/Nov/1814 Aged 2. abode 2 High St Grantham.

John  Bap.20/Jan/1819.

Thomas  Bap.22/Aug/1826.

I live in Grantham if I can help let me know.

Kathy

Offline Susan Larson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 08:29 GMT (UK) »
John Horace Castle  and his father Thomas Percy Castle