Author Topic: George AH HOY  (Read 19726 times)

Offline McGreevy

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George AH HOY
« on: Saturday 28 August 10 13:15 BST (UK) »
I am having difficulty tracking down my Chinese Great Grandfather Georg Ah Hoy, or as he was buried simply George Hoy. He cam from NSW and married Anne Christina Newlands
They settled in Charters Towers Queensland . He died in 1922 aged 80.

Can find no record of his marriage. Nor can I find Miss Newlands.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Edward McGreevy of County Down Ireland
 Price,  Charters Towers
Margaret McKee County Tyrone Ireland
Newlands Sydney Wales

Offline Raylen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ah Hoy
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 28 August 10 13:56 BST (UK) »

www.bdm.nsw.gov.au

Birth

NEWLANDS
Ann C
Father: William   Mother: Catharine
Reg V1846695 31A/1846
Denomination - Presbyterian   
Parish/Circuit/District - Sydney, Scots Church

There is also this marriage in NSW  ::)
NEWLANDS Ann C
HOOD George F
598/1867  Sydney

Raylen

Tuck-Baydon,Wiltshire
Woolford-Hampshire
Christie-Stirling

Offline ennael

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Ah Hoy
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 28 August 10 14:03 BST (UK) »
there is this birth which may fit:
V18473356 35/1847 
HOOD  George  F 
Father George
Mother Hannah

Leanne

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: George AH HOY
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 September 10 05:13 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I've been trying to help McGreevy on couple of other current threads,  :D searching for George's wife's details and her forebears.

QLD online BDM search George Hoy's date of death is recorded as 23 Sept 1922, ref 1922/C2845, and as that index notes ** born New South Wales aged 80 years I  confirm that I have not found any index on NSWBDM's Early Church Records (ie pre civil registration) to help with that birthdate/place .  By his surname it may be unlikely a church baptism was undertaken. (Sept 1922 - 80 giving cira 1841 -1842).  There are parts of the 1841 NSW Census extant, and I think the NSW State Archives have digitised them.  Perhaps a physical search at the Kingswood Archives Reading Rooms (near Penrith NSW) may find George or his immediate family on that Census.  I don't live in Sydney, sorry. 

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=480307.new;topicseen#new
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,480225.msg3393261.html#msg3393261

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 September 10 06:33 BST (UK) »
On line INDEX at NSW SR there is 20 Oct 1883 naturalisation for HOY Ah, native place of Canton, China.  There is a facility to order a copy of the full record.

http://srwww.records.nsw.gov.au/indexsearch/keyname.aspx  I entered "Ah Hoy" in their keyword search. 

Also I noticed that in April 1855 on the ship Constitution there was a family with surname HOY migrating to Australia from UK.  Among that family were twin boys aged 12, one was named George (born 1842-3).  The passenger list is digitised and freely available online at http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/nrs-lists/nrs-5316  None in the family could read.  The family had been living in Cams, England before migrating, I haven't followed that up, but perhaps others may, to determine if that family and their forebears were Anglo Saxon.

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline McGreevy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 05 September 10 06:57 BST (UK) »

Thanks

I have had a look at the shipping records and it could be him. Still does not explain his Chinese heritage. I found a record of George Ah Hoy in Charters Towers in one of Eric Rolls books but I have lost the record.

Thanks again for all the help. You have been wonderful helping me piece my family together. :)
Edward McGreevy of County Down Ireland
 Price,  Charters Towers
Margaret McKee County Tyrone Ireland
Newlands Sydney Wales

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 05 September 10 07:37 BST (UK) »
Just doing my bit  ;)

Offline Aussie1947

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 05 September 10 10:09 BST (UK) »

Hi,

Maybe this is your George Hoy

1903 PO Directory George Hoy Pedley St Charters Towers

1913 Electoral Roll George Hoy Miner Natal Downs Rd Division of Kennedy Sub-Division of Charters Towers.

Qld Gazette 1st Mar 1873 Unclaimed Letters George Hoy of Charters Towers also 1st Nov 1873 George Hoy of Rockhampton.

What is interesting is that there was a George Ah Hoy on the 1874 PO Directory under the listings of Carrier/Carter/Drayman of William St Rockhampton.

Regards

Gerry

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 05 September 10 10:58 BST (UK) »
Well found Gerry !

I think this may be of interest too

George Ah Hoy, a BAKER at Croydon Qld in 1888 Brisbane Post Office Directory and Country Guide - Croydon thats a goldfields town in the then police district of Burke .... probably around 150 miles south-east of Karumba on the Gulf of Carpentaria ... long way from Sydney to there especially in the 19thC... 

Perhaps Queensland Family History Society may have more info for McGreevy, fingers crossed. 

http://www.qfhs.org.au/

Cheers,  JM