Author Topic: Newark, New Jersey & New York City  (Read 13205 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Newark, New Jersey & New York City
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 12:43 BST (UK) »
The Social Security system didn't begin until the 1930's, so it sounds like he definitely wasn't around for that.

Offline hamleyseeker

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Saturday 16 October 10 17:11 BST (UK) »
I just want to say that I'm currently in NY state; have visited Newark - found the house where JH lived but otherwise nothing else but may go to Jersey City Archives. Manhattan was great and there the staff and other users at the Municipal Archives were extremely helpful and I'll certainly pay at least one return visit there. I may yet find John's death?!

Thank  you all so much for your help and advice. :)
Veronica
Pipe, Fuller, Goodrich/King, Gale, Mansell, Hughes, Dore, Mellish, Nida, Caldwell, Jones, Hamley, Leigh, Barnett: England various counties
Moloney, Cunningham, Corb(o)y, Ryan - Tipperary/Limerick

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Saturday 16 October 10 17:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Veronica: Welcome to New York. Have you been to the genealogy room at the New York Public Library's main research library? The research library is now called the Steven S. Schwartzman Building. It's at the corner of 42nd St. and Fifth Ave. The genealogy room is called the Milstein Division of U.S. History, Local History & Genealogy. It's in Room 121. Next door is microfilm and fiches, including city directories

Good luck in your hunt.

John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline hamleyseeker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Sunday 17 October 10 03:09 BST (UK) »
Hi John
Thanks for this. I have that place on my list but wasn't too sure as to what I would achive there but if I can achieve both BMDs and the Directories then it is well worth a visit. Time is always the problem - trying to fit it all in!

Is the Steven Schwarzman Building better than the Municipal Archives in Chambers and do they have Directories to fill the gap between 1886 & 1893?

Veronica :)
Pipe, Fuller, Goodrich/King, Gale, Mansell, Hughes, Dore, Mellish, Nida, Caldwell, Jones, Hamley, Leigh, Barnett: England various counties

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Sunday 17 October 10 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Veronica: I've used New York City Directories for the 1910s on microfilm in the New York Public Library's Microform room, Room 119.

I searched the library's catalog for Newark directories. It looks as if the Microform Room has the Newark directories you're looking for. Here's the result of the search (I've put the relevant information in boldface):

Subject    Newark (N.J.) -- Directories.
Call No.    *XMG-156 Library has: 1835-1860 [Microfiche]
Research Call Number    *XMG-156 Library has: 1835-1860 [Microfiche]

*ZAN-G67 Library has: 1861-1903, 1905-1906, 1908-1918, 1920, 1923, 1927-1932, 1934 [Microfilm]

IZ (New Jersey-Newark) Library has: 1935-1939, 1957-1958, 1964-1965 [Text]

John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline hamleyseeker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 18 October 10 02:58 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that John.
The next time I'm in NY I'll first go through the remaining borough death indexes pre-1891 & then I'll go up to the library for the Newark directories. My gut feeling is that he died in New York as that is where all his family remain (in various boroughs).
Veronica :)

Offline hamleyseeker

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Saturday 06 November 10 16:03 GMT (UK) »
Well... I'm now back in the UK.
I did visit the library, met an very nice English librarian who proved to be very helpful but unable to produce the volumes of the directories. I was there on a Friday & they close at 1pm and too late to return to the Municipal Archives (a great place for indexes etc. for New York city). I failed to find the deaths of John or Harriet Hamley in the indexes for all boroughs of New York City.

I then went to the LDS FH Centre 125 Columbus Street where an Elder looked up the film numbers for New Jersey deaths on the Family search Catalogue Now I'm left with the quandary - either ask a friend/relative to visit the Jersey City Archives to view the indexes or order the films one by one to view at Hyde Park Centre (£7 each).

One success was that I found the place where John Hamley lived in Newark but it appears to have been burned down and rebuilt as a one storey diner!

Thanks again for everyone's help in my quest.

Offline josephrgreen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 08:04 GMT (UK) »
Was anyone able to find more information on Charles W Green?  According to my tree, he might be my GG Grandfather.  But I am trying to fix some loose connections.  Charles had a son named Stephen, anyone able to find out who Stephen Green married and what their offspring were named?