Author Topic: John Michael Freeman 1847 -1895  (Read 3410 times)

Offline dizzydeb

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Michael Freeman 1847 -1895
« on: Sunday 29 August 10 03:29 BST (UK) »
I am still looking for my Gt Grandfather ...his name was John Michael Freeman..On the England census he stated Roscommon Ireland as his place of Birth..Family thought he was buried at Donegal but that is a long way from Roscommon..I have his death certificate in Salford,England in 1895 at age 48 as well as his marraige certificate also in England to Mary Anne Howitt in1881.His father was named as Patrick Freeman was a Farmer.I have looked at available Irish Census but the Freemans i have found i am unable to confirm if they could be mine or not.I do not know his mothers name..I would love to be able to find his birth and any other information on his early life in Ireland as well as his parents.I would really appreciate any help that some kind family history person can offer me. :)

Offline johnros

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Michael Freeman 1847 -1895
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 August 10 06:25 BST (UK) »
The LDS list the 8 May 1847 baptism of a John Freeman in Boyle Catholic Parish.
Father Patrick. Mother Joan Dogherty.

For names of baptismal sponsors and name of townland (unlikely) where born, see LDS film 8 May 1847. The LDS film is a photo copy of the actual parisg register.

See also http://www.leitrim-roscommon.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=51430

Suggest you check the 1857 Griffith’s Valuation for land occupied by Freeman (and Dogherty) in Boyle Civil parish.

Offline dizzydeb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: John Michael Freeman 1847 -1895
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 October 10 08:07 BST (UK) »
Hi thankyou for your reply and for  helpful advice.I did have this baptism but still am not sure if it is my John Freeman as i cant find anything else to verify his mothers name..There are 3 Freeman families in the 1901 census but i cant be sure if they are mine or not..I looked at the Griffiths valuation as you suggested and there are 3 Patrick Freeman families in the Roscommon area.One in particular has  a Patrick Freeman with  3 Dogherty 's in Corracoggil South..Not sure if that is near Boyle..This could potentially be Joan's Family?..( somewhere else i have seen her name as Johanna) Would you know if there is any other way i can check any of this.I am not near anywhere that has the LDS film and as i live in Australia i can only search online.

I have been told by family members that John was Roman Catholic so thats right.

Have you any idea how i could find a marraige for Patrick Freeman and Joan Dogherty.?I cant find one online.

Thanks for your help
Deb