Author Topic: Excise officers  (Read 37495 times)

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
Re: Excise officers
« Reply #54 on: Monday 12 March 18 16:34 GMT (UK) »
If you like a read about a certain Excise officer, have a read of the following.

https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/whisky-heroes/13105/malcolm-gillespie-gillespie-the-gauger/

https://archive.org/stream/areporttrialmal00edwagoog#page/n5/mode/2up

He has a bit of notoriety regarding Aberdeen. :o :o

Malky

Offline whitej

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Interesting links.

But what about my question regarding John Cameron tidewaiter Perth? Could he be in these records?

Offline Flattybasher9

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Manners cost nothing, and are worth the effort.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 13 March 18 10:34 GMT (UK) »
Questions and answers from the past :-

http://www.talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17289

Replies 3 and 6 of the following :-

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=777173.0

Malky

Offline vladzod99

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Thursday 06 September 18 06:06 BST (UK) »
Hi there.  I am conducting family tree research from Australia.

I am trying to find an excise officer called John Meredith (probably born sometime between 1770 and 1806, probably born in Wales or less likely Lancashire) .  John Meredith was stated to be an excise officer in the Australian death certificate of his son James Frederick Meredith.

As James was born in Knighton, Radnorshire, Wales in 1824 we know that his father John Meredith had to be born sometime before 1806 and that he was living in or near Knighton in 1824.

From searching the National Archives I've determined that he is not the John Meredith who became an excise officer in 1844 (as that John Meredith is too young).  I've not found anything useful when searching google books or the Lancashire business directory's.

I suspect from the 1851 census that he may instead be the John Meredith who was 75, born Knighton Radnorshire and stated to be a superannuated excise officer.  At that time in 1851, that John Meredith was living at Bishops Stortford in Hertfordshire.

However, it is also possible that the John Meredith I am looking for could be 10 years or so younger than that and had lived at various times in Lancashire or Radnorshire, Wales.

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone was able to find any information about any John Meredith's who were excise officers born in the time period about 1770 to 1806 in England or Wales, as I'm afraid I seem to have run into a dead end in my research.

Much thanks if you are able to be of help with my search, particularly if you have an ATHENS password.

Offline Liza115

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 03:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Bookbox. Following your link was the first time I've managed to find any useful images through the National Archives website. It's not an easy site to get to grips with!
I managed to find William Price, the excise man I'm looking for, in image 20 of the index at CUST 47/715.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C13440027

This is the minute book for Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday, 1 Aug 1857 to 9 Jan 1858. His name is indexed with the numbers 37 and 57 beside it. I worked out that 37 and 57 are not page numbers (because there are only about 30 images for each book) but maybe refer to the notations on the pages.
I assume the index relates only to the volume I'm looking at. I couldn't find anything marked 57, and the one for 37 said: "Mold Ride Wales North Collection converted into a Division to be called Mold 2 Div'n". He was living in Ireland then, but may have died soon after. How might '37' relate to him?
Are the minute books whose images I can see the entire record, or do they refer to something else I need to look up in person at Kew?
Thanks for any further light you (or anyone else) can shed on this.
Liz115

Palfrey - Radnorshire, Wales
Odell - Ontario, Canada
Gilmour - Newton Mearns, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Hare - Ipswich, Suffolk, England and Limerick, Ireland
Price - Antrim, Down, (now Northern) Ireland
Freeman - Waterford and Tramore, Ireland
Taylor - Taunton, Somerset, England
Helyar - Clifton, Bristol, England

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 09:45 BST (UK) »
Actually 37 and 57 are the page numbers. You're seeing the alphabetical  index at the front of the book which explains why there are about 26 images...

The entries will need looking at at TNA
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Liza115

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks, StevieSteve.
So there is actually more information to see about the people mentioned in this index that isn't available online? That's what wasn't clear to me.
It is a bit puzzling, because in amongst the indexed names are indexed lists of things that have happened. Sometimes the index number for the action does match the number for the name. For example, at CUST 47/720/1, dated 1858, it mentions William Price -- 75, and "Three 1st Class Assistants to Dublin 4 Divn, in Dublin Colln -- 75. That might be where he was, but it is a common name.
I'll just have to make a trip to the National Archives and look in person to find out.  :)

Palfrey - Radnorshire, Wales
Odell - Ontario, Canada
Gilmour - Newton Mearns, Renfrewshire, Scotland
Hare - Ipswich, Suffolk, England and Limerick, Ireland
Price - Antrim, Down, (now Northern) Ireland
Freeman - Waterford and Tramore, Ireland
Taylor - Taunton, Somerset, England
Helyar - Clifton, Bristol, England

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi

In the minute book there's a quick summary of the full note in the left hand margin. That's what's being indexed. There can be more than one note per page so they may not be connected so William Price may not be involved in the Dublin note.

In my experience, the Dublin example will say something like

Following the minute of last ... 3 Assistants were appointed to Dublin namely X of Y Collection, Z of B Collection and C of W Collection. It will list their replacements for their old jobs and then their replacements and so on  which can become quite a chain if they're higher-ups
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Tuesday 18 September 18 11:53 BST (UK) »
So there is actually more information to see about the people mentioned in this index that isn't available online?

The index that you're looking at online provides page references leading to more information in the Minute Books.

The entries in the Minute Books (at Kew, not online) can be informative as regards appointments and salaries. Some examples below, although the dates are earlier than yours (and names have been edited here):

Wednesday 9 December 1818
Charles Cooper, Officer of Portsmouth 3rd Division, Hants Collection, being by Minute of 1st instant appointed a Port Officer in the Port of London, ordered that William Clark, Officer of the Stockbridge 1st Ride, Sarum Collection, succeed him on the Head of the Board. (National Archives, CUST 47/513, p. 118)

Saturday 6 February 1819
Ordered ... that James Robins, Officer of Gosport, 1st Division, Hants Collection, be Officer to attend the Packing and Shipping of Excisable Commodities for Exportation at Gosport in the Room of Charles Cooper, removed (National Archives, CUST 47/514, pp. 79-80)

Tuesday 8 August 1820
Ordered that ... Charles Cooper ... Port Officer at £100 per annum be [one] of the new Port Officers at £101.15 per annum (National Archives, CUST 47/523, pp. 3-5).

ADDED - supplementing StevieSteve's post.