Author Topic: Llanarmon, Wales  (Read 6248 times)

Offline JoanneB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Llanarmon, Wales
« on: Monday 30 August 10 17:08 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I have only recently found my Gt Grandfather after a long, long time, hooray!

He was Edward Roberts born 1849 Llanarmon, and was a Butcher.  I have him on the 1871, 1881, and 1891 censuses, I think he died shortly after that.  On the 1871 and the 1881 he is said to have been born in Llanarmon, on the 1891 it says born Llansilin. I also have his marriage certificate 1870 married to a Martha Evans where his father is listed as Thomas Roberts a Butcher. I have not found them on the 1851 or the 1861 censuses which would have helped me progress.

Is there anyone who has access to records for this area who could help me?

Best Wishes
JoanneB

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Llanarmon, Wales
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 August 10 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hi

It sounds as it it was Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog in Denbighshire. It's only a few miles over the hills to Llansilin.

I'll check what I've got as some of my ancestors (Roberts!) came from that area.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 August 10 17:20 BST (UK) »
On the 1851, there is a family in Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog that might be yours. Thomas is a Shepherd, though

Nant y Glog, Llanarmon DC, Denbighshire
HO107/2509/62/4

Roberts
Thomas, 31,  shepherd,
Margaret, 28
Thomas, 5
Edwd, 2

All down as being born Denbighshire

I'm having to go through my sources  manually rather than with an index so it will take a while

Gadget

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 August 10 17:24 BST (UK) »
Now this is interesting ~

On the next page and next door to the other family,   is this family:

Nant y Glog, Llanarmon DC
HO107/2509/62/5

Roberts

Thomas, 62, Butcher
Ann, 65
Edward, 36, Rag Burner (?)

All b. Denbighshire

Offline JoanneB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 00:24 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget,

Thank you so much for helping me, and it does indeed look very interesting. Possibly my Gt Grandfather, Gt Gt Grandfather and Gt Gt Gt Grandfather!!!  I am quite excited about this.

I looked again at Edward's marriage certificate to see if the witnesses matched any of the names, but no luck.  Researching the Roberts name is difficult there are so many, and looking on Freebmd for Edward's birth, I am unsure of what would be considered a good bet.  Do you think Corwen for the registration district?

Best Wishes
JoanneB

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 07:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Joanne

Yes, it would be Corwen. Do you know that he was definitely born in 1849? Also, what religion they were? 

If they were Church of England/Wales, Paul, one of our really helpful members, might be able to find a baptism for you  :)

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 08:54 BST (UK) »
I see that Edward spent his adult life in Llangollen and was down as a brewer in the 1881

This just might be the marriage of  Thomas, Senior, in Llanarmon:

8 January 1813 Thomas Roberts and Ann Jones both of the parish, by Banns. witnessses David Hughes and  Thomas Lewis

It's not for certain though and need to check up the marriage of Thomas jnr.

In 1841 Thomas, snr, is here:

Nat y glog, Llanarmon DC
HO107/1399/7/5/2

Roberts
Thomas, 50, butcher
Ann, 55
Edward 26, Ag lab
David, 14
Mariah, 9

All b. County

and it looks like Thomas Roberts, jnr, is already away from his parents, working as a Male Servant

Pen y Bryn, Llanarmon DC
HO107/1399/7/6/3

Thomas Roberts, 20, MS, b. County

Gadget

Offline Paul

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hello Bridget :)
I couldn't see a baptism for Edward Robert or any children to a Thomas Roberts(Butcher) in Llanarmon Dyffryn Ceiriog 1840/1860  :(

Paul.

Offline JoanneB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 18:30 BST (UK) »
Hello Gadget,
Thank you for all your hard work, I know how long it can take doing these searches.

Yes on the 1881 he was down as a brewer (I think a relative was a brewer at that time), but on the other 2 censuses he was listed as a butcher. My grandfather was also a butcher.

On Edward's marriage certificate he was aged 21 in August 1870 so that is confirmation that his birth year is 1849. Regarding religion I have always thought CofE as I know my grandfather and other family all were.

Thomas Jun. (father) is a butcher on Edward's marriage certificate in 1870 so if this is the family he wasn't always a shepherd.

The first name 'Austin' is a Roberts family name but I haven't come across it on any census yet except the 1911. I only mention it because it is less common that some of the other names.
The perfect outcome would be Edward's birth/baptism  in 1849 in Llanarmon father Thomas a Butcher  It's never that easy is it... Best Wishes Joanne