Author Topic: Complete - Hi All and can anyone help?  (Read 8383 times)

Offline nick200

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Complete - Hi All and can anyone help?
« on: Tuesday 31 August 10 10:39 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I have been promising myself that I would do this for years but I have now finally started!

I thought that I would start with my mums side first as we know more about this side!

I have got as far as Daniel Bohannan (or Bohannon) who was born in 1730 but I cannot find out who is parents were?  ???  He was born in Great Waltham and died in Pleshey in 1801. He married Ann in 1749 in Pleshey and she lived from 1725 till 1775. They had three children - Ann born 1750, Daniel born 1751 and Nathaniel born 1754.

Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Nick

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hi All and can anyone help?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 September 10 16:35 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat!

The EssexSEAX site had transcribed some baptisms for Great Waltham, but they are only up to 1700 at the moment. However they will do a search for you at quite a reasonable cost, and you can get the form to fill in on line.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline geno500

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 September 10 20:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Nick  as you are new to Roots Chat I will do the look up at Chelmsford records for you,it will be at least a week before I can get there,nice going to get back to the 18th cent,if I find the birth record it will only show the mothers first name,so I will try for the marriage as well.
Best Regards

Offline nick200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 September 10 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Paco and geno,

Thank you both for your help.

I am on holiday so cannot get on the intrernet often at the moment.

Paco, thats great I will try when I get back.  :)

Geno, thank you for your help, it will be interesting if you find any more.

:)

Best regards

Nick

Offline geno500

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 19 September 10 09:24 BST (UK) »
Hi had a quick look at the Pleshey baptisms yesterday will try for the marriage later

Ann daug of Daniel and Anne Buchanan 15th June 1750
Daniel son of Daniel and Anne Buchanan 10th Nov 1751
Nathaniel son of Daniel and Anne Buchanan 28th April 1754
Anne daug of Daniel and Anne Buchanan 15th may 1757
Sarah daug of Daniel and Anne Buchanan 9th March 1760

I saw in the list of marriage licence that a Sarah Bohannan married a Andrew Poulton D/ALL 1793

I suggest this may be the Sarah born 1760 if you want I can pull the licence and see where they married,there are normally onlt 3 reasons for getting a licence bride pregnant so cannot wait for banns,one or both parties are under age,they are not from the parish they are getting married in.

Best Regards

Offline nick200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 19 September 10 11:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Geno,

Thank you for all your help, I will update my tree now to show your findings.

Thanks for your offer of looking into Sarah's marriage, I would like to know but I can wait. I think that you have already helped more than I ever expected!

Thanks again and if you ever need me to look into records at Banbury Oxfordshire then please let me know.

Best reagrds

Nick

Offline nick200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 19 September 10 12:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Geno,

Thank you for all your help, I will update my tree now to show your findings.

Thanks for your offer of looking into Sarah's marriage, I would like to know but I can wait. I think that you have already helped more than I ever expected!

Thanks again and if you ever need me to look into records at Banbury Oxfordshire then please let me know.

Best regards

Nick
Ps, does this mean that the mothers maiden name is Buchanan or that they were known as Buchanan and then became Bohannon? This would expalin why I cannot go any further with Bohannon?

Offline geno500

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 19 September 10 15:48 BST (UK) »
Hi  no we still do not know her maiden name,the records are quiet clear that the name is Buchanan but you must remember that lot's of people could not read or write in the time scale you are looking at also the regional accent did not help also the clergy nearly always came from upper middle class famlies  and would have lived many miles from the parish so would have no idea just how the name should be  spelt,still nothing like getting another two children to put into the tree,will try for the marriage next time,I did look up Boyds which is a index of marriages in Essex and could find no Bohannan listed but the index is by no means complete,so who knows waht I will find

Best Regards

Offline nick200

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 19 September 10 17:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Geno,

At least it explains why my search went blank, and it makes sense that the spelling or even how it was pronounced would affect the way that it was written. I think it now means that I need to get over to Essex and see what is over that way. There is a story in the family that we originated from a family that came over with William the Conqueror (De Bohun) and if the spelling was to change over time then it explains why it ended up as Bohannon but it would be good to find the link. Especially as they are both associated with Pleshey! I have managed to get a lot of history of De Bohun from 975 until 1600's but I would now like to see the link. Maybe I am too impatient for this!!  :D

Thanks for your help, especially with the time and the two extra children.

Best regards