Author Topic: Burial - Needle in a haystack  (Read 4970 times)

Offline Lancashire_Rose

• I am sorry but my emails have stopped working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Burial - Needle in a haystack
« on: Tuesday 31 August 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for some advice about how to proceed with finding my great grandfather's burial place.

Samuel Harrison (1886-1927)

From the death certificate he died on his way to the Poor Law Infirmary in Hemsworth, West Yorkshire on August 23rd 1927. There was an inquest on August 25th. There are no coroner's records for me to get any information from but I have found a newspaper which reported the accident and the inquest, this tells me that his brother James Harrison a green grocer from Hall Lane, Moses Gate identified his body and attended the inquest.

I have searched all the municipal cemererties records for the area in West Yorkshire, I have searched the church records for the Hemsworth church, the infirmary didn't have a burial site. I have found no trace of him in West Yorkshire so I am wondering if perhaps his brother brought his body back to Lancashire (Farnworth area) for burial - all his family were in Farnworth/Moses Gate.

I have searched various Bolton municipal cemetery records and church records and haven't yet found him in the Bolton/Farnworth area.

I posted about this on the West Yorkshire boards a few weeks ago but I thought I would ask the Lancashire boards people if they have any ideas or suggestions for me as I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall with this but I am determined to find him  :-\
Lancashire - Deakin, Harrison, Heaton, Wallwork, Cook(e), Hurst, Marshall, Nuttall
Yorkshire - Buckle, Trevitt, Marshall
Suffolk - Buckle
Shropshire - Trevitt, Speak

Cheshire - Hargreaves
Lancashire - Roberts, Bramhall
Wales - Roberts

Offline HOWMUCH

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Burial - Needle in a haystack
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hello Lancashire Rose
I was wondering whether there would be an orbituary notice in the particular newspaper that recorded the inquest.
Sometimes,I have identified a more local newspaper where the deceased lived and that had the details of the service and mourners . In your sad case however money may have been an issue :'(
Good luck anyway
Eric :)

Offline cissy172

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 September 10 22:06 BST (UK) »
Hi
Don't know if you have seen this site:

http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html

It has a lot of places in Lancashire BMD from Church records, although there's no Samuel Harrison in the Farnworth with Kearsley Churches, there are loads of other Harrisons.You can also search the whole of Lancashire....

There's a death/burial for a Samuel Catlow Harrison in Burnley in 1927....
Shard..Widnes/Radcliffe inLancashire & Doncaster Area
Wrigley...Radcliffe & Bury Area
Mitchell ...Gwinear Cornwall/Radcliffe Lancashire/Stockport Cheshire
Allen....Radcliffe Lancashire
Ashworth... Bury & Radcliffe Lancashire
Goodier....Stockport Cheshire

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 September 10 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hiya Cissie...don`t know if it helps Lancashire Rose in any way...
Samuel Catlow Harrison died 1927 was aged 33 and his death was registered in Lancaster...so he would have been born 1894 ...a little late ..the death is on
www.lancashirebmd.org.uk
allan :)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Lancashire_Rose

• I am sorry but my emails have stopped working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 September 10 10:42 BST (UK) »
Hello everyone, many thanks for taking the time to read my thread and for the replies. My gt grandfather was 40 years old when he died and the one mentioned in Burnley is definately not him. Howmuch: thanks for the idea of the obituary section in the local papers, I did search quite a few in both West Yorkshire and Lancashire but turned up nothing. I agree that the family probably wouldn't have been able to afford it anyway, it seems they didn't have two pennies to rub together. I did think that perhaps there may have been reports in the Farnworth Journal if a body was "being brought home" for burial but alas I have found no trace of any such report.
I'm beginning to think that perhaps he was buried somewhere in West Yorkshire where he died, apparantly there was a duty (tax) to pay to each local authority passed through if you were transporting a body so I think I shall turn my attention back to West Yorkshire for a while. Thanks again everyone  :)
Lancashire - Deakin, Harrison, Heaton, Wallwork, Cook(e), Hurst, Marshall, Nuttall
Yorkshire - Buckle, Trevitt, Marshall
Suffolk - Buckle
Shropshire - Trevitt, Speak

Cheshire - Hargreaves
Lancashire - Roberts, Bramhall
Wales - Roberts

Offline gingernut1

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandmother Ann Amplis
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 September 10 22:54 BST (UK) »
Hi

My great grandfather is also Samuel Harrison and is the bane of my life.    In my 'collection' of Samuels I can tell you that I have :

29.12.1926 died aged 46 buried at St Thomas, Hyde
1926 - no age - Beckett St Cemetery, Leeds

Also its free to do an initial search on the Manchester Council Cemeteries site - although it will only give you the grave no, date of burial and also the names of others in the grave that may help you marry them up to your Samuel.   You can pay a fee for more information but I am not sure what you get for your money.  There are a few Samuels to chose from!

Hope you have more luck with your Samuel than I have with mine!

Cheers
Ginger
Midlands - Bradshaw ,Harrison, Hollis, Wood, Mander
South Yorkshire - Biggins, Rusling,Greaves 
London/Islington - Marsh, Keeley, West, Astbury Sweeting, Allensby, Gillman
Lancashire -Clegg, Mander, Harrison
Somerset/Wiltshire - Marsh, Ryall, Trollop
Cambridge, Ely and area - Allensby, Sulman, Muncey

Offline dotty

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 September 10 08:27 BST (UK) »
Where was he living at  the time of his  death and where did his wife get buried?

Dotty
Braithwaite,Roney,Hartley,Jackson,Reed, Cumberland /Westmorland .Livesey,Hartley,Taylor,Sefton,Harrison,Knowles,Lancashire.Bottomley,Schofield,Woodhouse ,Hobson ,Norcliffe  and Hartley West Yorkshire.Bottomley Dumfrieshire and Lanarkshire.Pinder ,Warwickshire.Kisby ,Cambridgeshire

Census information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline gingernut1

• RootsChat Senior
  • My Grandmother Ann Amplis
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 September 10 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi dotty

His wife Ruth died and was buried in Watford in 1901.   He died on 16th Dec 1916 don't know exactly where but have been to his grave in Southern Cemetry in Manchester.   The headstone gives date of death but we cannot find his details registered to get a cert. 

He was a boatman and according to the family was crushed after falling in we suspect in the Manchester area.   He also appears to have done the missing link between his wife dying and the 1911 census where he was living in Chorlton with his sister and the family. 

His children, we are told, during that period thought they were orphans and were brought up by relatives and others.

I have wondered if he was in jail or perhaps found himself another family..... its a mystery

Cheers
Ginger

Midlands - Bradshaw ,Harrison, Hollis, Wood, Mander
South Yorkshire - Biggins, Rusling,Greaves 
London/Islington - Marsh, Keeley, West, Astbury Sweeting, Allensby, Gillman
Lancashire -Clegg, Mander, Harrison
Somerset/Wiltshire - Marsh, Ryall, Trollop
Cambridge, Ely and area - Allensby, Sulman, Muncey

Offline Luzzu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 September 10 13:10 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This is an example of the kind of information you get from the City of Manchester burial register.  You already know his date of death, profession and probably age so the only extra information it would give you is his address which you may already have too.

Hope I'm not breaking any copyright rules here but I think it okay to post a portion of a document  ???.

Luzzu
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Armitage, Slaithwaite; Buck, Staffs & Hampshire; Buckley, Bolton & Manchester; Temple, London & Hampshire; Crummett, Norfolk & Burnley; Osborne, Cornwall & Burnley; Haigh, Manchester & Todmorden; Gralton/Grant, Manchester & Ireland; France, Manchester & Slaithwaite; Shackleton, Burnley & Yorkshire; Dicks, Nottingham & Wiltshire; Sowter, Derbyshire