Author Topic: James look up  (Read 3691 times)

Offline carlingford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James look up
« on: Tuesday 31 August 10 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi, I want to find James Janson, or I'anson, my gg grandfather, prior to his marriage in 1825.  A while back CatOne kindly found him in 1851 census, HO107/2272 folio 302 page 302, born in Holme Westmoreland, and 1841 HO107/528/12 folio 12 page 1. I also have him 1871 census, living in Barrow, with his first wife, Sarah, but his birthplace looks different, very difficult to read. If you can confirm Holme was his birthplace, would there be parish records to search to find more about him and his parents etc ? Thanks Tony.

Offline Gigi

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: James look up
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Tony,

When was James born according to the census data?

Also where was he married?

Was he alive in 1881?

I can't find anything on familysearch.

Gillian
Elwood/Ellwood: WES & CUM
Johnson: Crosby Ravensworth, Hilton & Dufton WES
Robinson: CUM
Langhorn: Kirkby Thore WES
Dover: WES & CUM
Parker: Soulby, Bedale
Hunt: Gentleshaw, Bladon, Hanborough
Slynn: Birmingham
Rammell: KENT
Felton: Shropshire

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 10:58 BST (UK) »
Hi
I think the registers for Holme at that date are not on the IGI and if that is the case he will not show up on familysearch.  Having checked further it appears that the church in Holme only started in 1841 (or at least the original registers at Kendal RO do) so you will have to widen the search to local parishes.  The www.genuki.org.uk site will tell you what churches there were in the area.
If you are not near enough to go to the local record office then you can order films of most parish registers to search at your local LDS family history centre.  They are worldwide and listed on familysearch.
Regards
Andrea

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 11:14 BST (UK) »
Can you give the 1871 reference as I can't find him.  Which Barrow did you mean?  There are several.
Oh, found him now living with son Thomas and his wife Sarah and their family.  James is a widower age 64.  Occupation Sawyer as before.  I think the birth place is Ulverston.  RG10 4243 166 28 if anyone wants to look.
Andrea

Offline carlingford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 12:32 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies, James was born in 1807, he was married at St Oswald Church, Warton near Lancaster, I don't think he was alive in 1881, I was thinking of travelling up to Holme on Friday but the Ulverston birth place has thrown a spanner in the works,  Tony.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 14:01 BST (UK) »
But if there was no church at Holme at that time you need to look elsewhere anyway.  I should go to the Record Office in Kendal if you have time and ask them to look at the census entry - they are the locals and have the expertise.  They have a mass of parish register transcripts on open shelves so you can have a happy time looking through them.   
Ulverston is odd as it seems to pop in and out of the counties!
Andrea

Offline carlingford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 14:27 BST (UK) »
Silly me, I should have realized the church wasn't in existence in 1807, It must be my age! I shall take your advice and go to Kendal and see if they can decipher the 1871 birth place and take it from there. My wife said she'd love a day out in Kendal, two birds with one stone as they say, thank you so much for your help, Tony.

Offline carlingford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 September 10 13:06 BST (UK) »
Went to Kendal Record Office, very helpful, the place of birth for James was Burton, as in Burton in Holme, Burton in kendal , so mystery solved. Managed to find James mother and father. Thanks for your help, Tony.

Offline sillgen

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 September 10 13:14 BST (UK) »
Glad you have sorted it.
Andrea