Author Topic: Help - Why can't I find this man William John Morris- Completed  (Read 4161 times)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Family History - the ultimate detective story
    • View Profile
Help - Why can't I find this man William John Morris- Completed
« on: Tuesday 05 April 05 09:06 BST (UK) »
 ??? ??? ???

William John MORRIS (MORRISS) Farm Labourer, was born in Easton, Huntingdonshire in 1866, and appears with his family on the 1881 Census in Lincolnshire.  But despite numerous variations of his name(s), I can't find him anywhere on the 1891 Census, and his family had moved back to Easton by then.

By 1893, he has become a Railway Platelayer, and marries Eliza EDGSON in Salford, Lancashire, and they go on to have four children between 1894-1901.  That's fine, they all appear on the 1901 Census, ........ then would you believe it - he goes missing again as I can't find his death anywhere between 1901 and 1917 (the date of his daughter Sarah's marriage, where he is shown as deceased.)   Surely he would have been too old to have been in the 1914-1918 war ?

Has anyone any suggestions please - I am going round the flippin' bend trying to find this geezer ??

??? ??? ???

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: HELP - WHY CAN'T I FIND THIS MAN ??
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 09:34 BST (UK) »
We all sympathise with you over ones like this! It looks like one of those 'wait till the 1910 census' ones. If he's there it will narrow down the date of death. If not, he's either already dead, or 'missing' from that census too.
As you have a fairly short span of years for his death, have you tried looking for a will? - only an idea.

Re 1891 census, I guess it is just a case of mistranscription. If the writing is really bad he could be indexed as anything! Could try all William's born of right age born in Easton. Although it is a common Christian name I cant imagine there were hundred's born in the village in that year. I've tried just a Christian name before, and looked at the options - that's how I found 2 Deboo families - one indexed under Bubos and one under Devon!
Just a thought.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline D ap D

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stuck with John Jones in Wales? Join the club!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 09:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Mobo,

my first thought was: if he was working on the railways in 93, chances are he will also be working there in 91, meaning he will probably be moving around the country.

I've transcribed a fair few districts for FreeCen and the number of railways platelayers, married but living alone in lodgings or as a boarder is amazing (even for a small town like Llanrwst).

If the marriage cert gives his residence at the time of marriage, that might be an indication of which railway company he was working for, and hence at least narrow down the region he was working in. Maybe he was working for the GWR? then on moving the LNER?

However, he should at least be on the ancestry 91 census, unless his name has been transcribed very imaginatively.

I agree at 48 he would have been too old to have been in WW1.

The main problem with his death I suppose would be that the BMD are not as yet complete, and trying to find a Morris, while not quite Smith or Jones is still trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Sorry I can't help, but perhaps my thoughts may help point you in the right direction.
Stuck with:
William Williams of Llanllyfni
John Jones in Llanelli
Evan Evans in Caio
David Davies of Llansanffraid
Evans: Caio/Carms
Jones: CDG, DEN

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Nor do I think that any other nation than this of Wales, or any other tongue, whatever may hereafter come to pass, shall on the day of the great reckoning before the Most High Judge, answer for this corner of the earth": The Old Man of Pencader to Henry II

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 09:43 BST (UK) »
D ap D rightly reminds us that Free BMD is not complete.

I assumed you had searched for the death on 1837online. If not then that is definitely the next step!
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 09:45 BST (UK) »
 :D :D :D

Thanks Liz !

Pretty certain there wasn't a will, and yes I've typed in variants of his village, leaving the village out and just putting the county etc. etc. - zilch !!

Like you say, I'll probably be stuck until the 1911 Census comes out.  Crazy when you think that I've got as far back as the 1500's in four of my lines, and even been able to trace some Irish !

Thanks anyway

;D ;D ;D

BUCKLEY, Ches. & Lancs, DUNN, Ireland & Lancs. EDGSON, Rutland, Leics & Lancs. LYON, Lancs. McNULTY, Ireland & Lancs. MORRIS, Beds, Hunts & Lancs. SWARBRICK, Lancs. TURNER, Lancs. WILLIAMSON, Lancs.

All Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 10:12 BST (UK) »
 ;D ;D ;D

This has always been the problem DapD.

The MORRIS's were a Hunts family, but William obviously left home somewhere between 1882 and 1892, becoming a Railway Platelayer along the way.  Also, it was Contractors who employed Platelayers, and not the Railways, so I couldn't search for his death there.   

When he married Eliza EDGSON in Salford in 1893, he was living in one lodging house, and she in another.  She was born in Long Clawson in Leics. and had come to Salford sometime earlier with her family.  They then moved to Stockport, Ches, leaving her behind, she was just 17 when she married William !

I have often pondered on what brought him to Salford, and obviously it was the Railway so I suspect he would have been working in the area. 

;D ;D ;D

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 10:24 BST (UK) »

In answer to your question Liz - yes I've searched the 1837online - (spent a fortune) !!

Boo-hoo - I'm not playing !!

:'( :'( :'(

Offline jacdee

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 16:48 BST (UK) »
Hey Mobo,
I really do sympathise with you! I have also lost an entire family from the 1891 census - both parents and 5 young children - not a trace of them, and theres only so many variations of the surname Hawthorn that I can think of!!
I wonder wether the 1891 census is complete?  ???
I've searched Ancestry, and even asked for help from fellow rootschatters, but still no luck! And then to top it off by 1901 the mother of the house is a widow, and I can find no trace what so ever of the fathers death! Like you i've searched freebmd, ancestry and 1837online (spent a fortune too!), and now i'm hitting my head on a brick wall cos I don't know where to try next! I swear this family is going to drive me mad!! It's just so frustrating! It's nice to know i'm not the only one having this problem!

Sorry I couldn't help much!  ;D
Jacdee
Crowther, Mccloud/mcleod, Harrison, Hawthorn, Hicks, Pattison, Shrimpton
This information is Crown Copyright, from http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mobo

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 05 April 05 18:39 BST (UK) »

Thanks for the kind words of support Jac - I know how you must be feeling as well.  I too think the 1891 Census may not be complete   ??? ???

I suppose I'll have to put this man on the 'back burner' 'til the 1911 Census comes out - if he died before then, then I guess I'll just go quietly potty.

Are we all nuts or what ??

Happy hunting !!