Author Topic: Unknown Soldier  (Read 1697 times)

Offline Mumsiewumsie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Unknown Soldier
« on: Tuesday 31 August 10 15:39 BST (UK) »
 I hope someone can help with this photo. I've no idea who this young man is, or what date the photo is, although for some reason I think he's dressed to go off to WW1. I found his photo in a 'scrapbook' that was given to my Aunt-in-Law by her mother, on the Aunt's second birthday in 1918. The photo was next to a photo of the Aunt's mother, but I don't think he is the Aunt's father if I compare him to the few photos we have of him.

If anyone can date the photo and tell me which regiment he belonged to I'd be very grateful.

Many thanks in advance.
MWFH
Jones, Evans, Kelly, Bromilow, Isherwood, Ivill, Atherton

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
Re: Unknown Soldier
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 16:15 BST (UK) »
Hi mums,

The uniform is of the 1st ww period and the only regiment that I can think that fits with the style of cap badge is the 9th Queens Royal Lancers. If you could post a high res image of just the cap badge it may help to say one way or the other if this is so.

OR.
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Mumsiewumsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 16:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the response. Here's the cap badge, I hope it helps.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 16:39 BST (UK) »
Thats better thank you. It certainly appears to be the badge of the 9th Queens Royal Lancers. Have you a name for him ?

OR
Claxton- East London & Essex<br />Cuthbert- Mile End East London <br />Edwards - East London & Essex<br />Goll- Norfolk<br />Harris-Mile End East London<br />Hurr - Suffolk<br />Law- Bethnal Green East London<br />Moll- East London<br />Robinson- Bethnal Green East London<br />Tait- Argyll & Glasgow<br />Thompson Shoreditch East london<br />Watson- Glasgow<br />Wood- Bethnal Green East London<br /><br />Local history interest; Noak Hill & Harold Hill Essex<br /><br />census information crown cop

Offline Mumsiewumsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 August 10 16:40 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for your help. I'll see if I can put a name to him now.

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 20:39 BST (UK) »
Thats better thank you. It certainly appears to be the badge of the 9th Queens Royal Lancers. Have you a name for him ?

OR

Sorry mate....

I'm going to completely kybosh all that you have said!!!  :o ;)

This is an infantry soldier (not cavalry) from the Notts And Derby Regt (Sherwood Foresters), and he is a bugler and a marksman. Quite probably 1914/5
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline Mumsiewumsie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
OK, I'll investigate that one as well - thank you

Offline scrimnet

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • No plan ever survives first contact...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 20:58 BST (UK) »
For comparison... ;D 

I think you'll only need to look at one... 8)
One more charge and then be dumb,
            When the forts of Folly fall,
        May the victors when they come
            Find my body near the wall.

Offline old rowley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • first steps
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 September 10 21:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks Scrim, I was not too sure if I had it correct at the time of my original posting as what I first thought as being a number nine in the centre (which had me thinking it was the 9th) I can now see is a Hart. Glad to be be proved wrong as this helps Mumsie more than me giving her duff info.

OR