Author Topic: Gravestone Kinsale  (Read 16514 times)

Offline boobah

• I am very sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Gravestone Kinsale
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 September 10 07:54 BST (UK) »
Dear Celtic Liberty, many thanks for photo, on census 1901 there is a Helena and John Savage b. Co Fermanagh but none of the children tie in with names on that stone.  No 44 Fisher St.  Another puzzle. Wonderful exercise for the brain though !. 
Cheers and thanks.
Boo

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 September 10 08:32 BST (UK) »
Boobah,
I don't think that there is any real confusion between the names on the stone and the census for 1901 that aghadowey found (see your post on the Fermanagh board)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,480400.msg3392572.html#msg3392572

If you compare the two:

On this post, Mary is saying that the stone gives:
Just saw your post, I have a photo ( not easy to read) of a Higgins/Savage headstone in St Multose.
Ellen d April 1893 age 48
Eleanor Charlotte Frances Savage d 2 Aug 1905 age -?4
and her mother Charlotte Anna Savage (nee Higgins) d 17 Oct 1938 age 76
Mary

Looking at the 1901 census Aghadowey found on your Fermanagh post, the family is:
John Savage, 66, Merchant and Boat owner, born Fermanagh
Helena Savage age 61, born County Cork - his wife
Frances Emma Savage, age 20, born County Cork - his daughter
Eleanor Savage Higgins, age 1 - granddaughter, born County Cork
Edward Jas Savage Higgins, age 2 - grandson, born County Cork

It would seem as it's possible that poor little Eleanor Charlotte Savage  / Higgins, who died age 4 in 1905, is both the little girl on the gravestone and the granddaughter of John and Helen Savage who is staying with them, along with her brother Edward, at the time of the 1901 census?    Certainly Mary doesn't have the Higgins name for Eleanor on the gravestone but does say that the stone is worn and not easy to read, and in 1901 the baby's name is definitely Eleanor Charlotte Savage Higgins.

According to the census the two grandchildren are with their grandparents and Aunt Frances Emma Savage, soit's possible that  their mother  is Charlotte Anna Savage, nee Higgins from the gravestone, who was not with them that evening.    It appears that Charlotte, if she is their mother, must have been either the wife of a son of John and Helena, or that there is some confusion with the names the wrong way round and she was Charlotte Savage who married a Mr Higgins.

Whilst there are some discrepencies, there seem to be too many coincidences of names for the gravestone and the census not to be the same family, as the ages fit.    What would be interesting would be to try and find Charlotte Savage (nee Higgins) or Charlotte Higgins (nee Savage) and her husband on census night, because you have an approximate date of birth for her (she died in 1938 age 76) and that might lead you to her husband, and confirmation if she was John and Helena's daughter, married to a Mr Higgins, or whether she was a former Miss Higgins married to John and Helena's son.

I'll see if I can find anything around births for more children for John and Helena.

Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 September 10 09:21 BST (UK) »
1911 census- Charlotte Savage, daughter Helena and brother William Higgins- (unfortunately Mr. Savage not in household although Charlotte listed as married):
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__5_Urban__part_of_/O_Connor_Ville/399681

1901 census here- (love bit under illness):
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Cork/Cork_Urban_No__5/Rockboro_Road/1115882
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 September 10 09:45 BST (UK) »
Births:
Eleanor Savage Higgins, Q1 (Jan-April) 1900  Registrations District: Millstreet, Cork

Edward James Savage Higgins, Q3 (July - Sept) 1898  Registration District: Millstreet, Cork

These would appear to be the two grandchildren with John and Helena Savage in Kinsale at the time of the 1901 census

Death:   Now this on is interesting, because it looks as if I spoke too soon in my previous post:

Ellinor Frances Savage (sic) death July 1905.   Born 1891.
Mary said that the gravestone inscription was worn, so it looks as if Ellinor / Eleanor who is buried there may have been 14, not 4, and not therefore the little granddaughter.     Whilst it's good to think the little girl didn't die, the one that did was 14 so it's not much better, is it?

Helena McCabe
Marriage, Kinsale, 1863.  
John Savage.
Marriage, Kinsale, same year, so assume it's them
Film: 101249
Volume: 8, Page: 411
(ps. film, volume and page entries are the same for both marriage listings, so it is theirs)

From Family Search (all extracted records, not submitted):  
Children born to Helena McCabe and John Savage:
Richard Archibald Savage, 19 October 1864
Mary Jane Savage, 29 March 1866
Catherine Helena, 16 April 1867
Isaac James Savage, 22 September 1868
Elenor Savage, 27 February 1871
John Wesley Savage 31 May 1872
Eliza Ann Savage, 11 November 1873
Edward William Savage, 31 July 1875
Helena Savage,17 December 1876

Now the one that is not there, if the two families are the same, is the Frances Emma Savage that was living at home with her parents at Fisher Street at the time of the 1901 census.  
There is a birth for Frances Emma Savage in Kinsale in the final quarter (Oct - Dec) of 1880.  That would fit with the census record.    The same lady appears to have died, still Frances Emma Savage, at the age of 69 in Kinsale in 1950.   Again, the ages fit.  So was she the daughter of 'your' John Savage and Helena McCabe?   If she was, then the Higgins grandchildren must be the children of one of her elder sisters, or am I just going round in circles?
Did one of the sons marry Charlotte Higgins, in which case why are the children Higgins in the 1901 census and not Savage?

Started out certain that the Higgins / Savage gravestone and census were the same family, I think I'm now talking myself out of it.     

p.s. just saw aghadowey's further post - also love the bit under illness!!
Census information Crown Copywright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk / National Archives of Scotland

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 September 10 10:01 BST (UK) »
Result!!  (of a sort, though even more confused)

Richard Archibald Savage, which is not likely to be a common name, and is the name of the eldest son of John Savage and Helena McCabe
Exactly the same details appear for the marriage of Charlotte Anna Higgins
Marriage:  April- June 1889.
Registration District: Cork
Film Number: 101256
Volume: 5  Page: 41.

So now we know that the Higgins / Savage family tie up appears when Richard Archibald married Charlotte Higgins, but why were the children shown as grandchildren of John and Helena, yet given the surname of Higgins and not Savage?  I know in my own Scots/Irish family widows often reverted to their maiden names after their husband's death but I can't see a death for Richard Archibald, at least not yet

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 September 10 10:05 BST (UK) »
Have to go out and intend to sit down later to go through all this but first thought is that there could be more than one Higgins-Savage connection which makes the records look confusing.

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 September 10 10:11 BST (UK) »
1901 census:
Richard A Savage, 36, born Kinsale
Shipping Clerk, status Married, but living as a Boarder at Queen Upper Street, St Anne's Ward, Belfast.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/St__Anne_s_Ward__Belfast/Queen_Street_Upper/974585/

Taking that in conjunction with the 1901 census aghadowey found for Charlotte -
it must be the right Charlotte, as Richard's younger sister Helena is living with her.
Charlotte states he is married, but also that she is the head of the family - yet Richard is alive in Belfast.
There are 2 daughters living with her, Eleanor F age 18 and Helena Mary age 8.    Helena fine, fits with the younger 2 staying with their grandparents, but Eleanor F's age would predate Richard and Charlotte's marriage.  

As aghadowey wonders, were there just 2 separate Savage - Higgins marriages/families, but a huge proliferation of Eleanors, Helenas, Frances' etc etc that is confusing the picture?

Offline Maggie1895

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 September 10 10:41 BST (UK) »
OK, last post on this until you get back aghadowey,  because I think your offer to try and sit and sort it all out is much needed!

1911 census, still in Fisher Street, Kinsale:
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Kinsale_Urban/Fisher_Street/422939/
Helena Savage is a Widow, age 72, H o H  47 years married, born 10 children, 6 of whom are living.     All this fits with the death of John Savage, which Boobah has clarified (via the Fermanagh board) John died in 1909 age 75.
Living with Helena is her daughter Emma Frances, now 30.   Again, all fits unless there are 2 almost identical John and Helena Savages in Cork, and I can't see another one.
Also living with her are the 2 grandchildren from 1901, Eleanor Savage Higgins and Edwards James Savage Higgins.
It's beginning to look to me as if Eleanor and James were the red herrings in the earlier confusion. 

The gravestone that Mary found ages back in this thread showed the deaths of Helena, of Charlotte Anna Savage nee Higgins, who we now know was married to Richard Archibald Savage, and of her daughter Eleanor Frances Savage.

Aghadowey, your thoughts about another Higgins connection..  It's now obvious from the census in 1901 and 1911 that these two children weren't staying with grandparents, but living with them permanently.      I still feel that the 2 families (census and gravestone) are one and the same family, but that there was a second Higgins connection that we haven't yet found that produced Eleanor and Edward, because it no longer looks as if they were Charlotte and Richard's children at all.  All the rest of the family connections fit.

Would appreciate your thoughts before I tie myself up in even more knots!

p.s. once we get on the trail of these things they become irrestistible..
if the children were living with their grandparents from such an early age (Eleanor was only a year old in the 1901 census) then it's likely that their mother had died.

Death: Eleanor Higgins
Q. 1, 1900, Millstreet registration district, the same district as the children's birth registrations
Vol 5, p 482.
The death registration shows Eleanor's birth year as 1871.
One of the children of John Savage / Helena McCabe was listed as Elenor, born 27 Feb 1871.
I haven't managed to find a marriage for Eleanor to a Mr Higgins to support this, but as the death registration is the same quarter as the birth of the little girl, and the age of Eleanor, presumably dying during or immediately after childbirth, is correct for John and Helen'a daughter, I think you are right.

Two Savage-Higgins marriages.
Richard Archibald Savage married Charlotte Higgins, and their children grow up with the surname Savage.    Charlotte is the Charlotte on the gravestone Mary found.
Eleanor Savage marries an unknown Mr Higgins, gives birth to Edward James Savage Higgins in 1898 and Eleanor Savage Higgins in 1900, and dies.  That would be why these two children lived with their grandparents.

Does that make sense to you? because if it does we are looking at the same family.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 September 10 16:22 BST (UK) »
Still working on this puzzle but want to post  few links before I lose them or forget. In 1911 Census Helena (McCabe) Savage is listed as having 10 children (6 living). From all the evidence so far these would see to be the 10-
1. Richard Archibald (1864) m.(1889) Charlotte Anna Higgins
2. Mary Jane (1866)
3. Catherine Helena (1867-1869 Kinsale district)
4. Isaac James** (1868)
5. Eleanor (1871-1900?) m. ? Higgins?
6. John Wesley*** (1872)
7. Eliza Ann (1873)
8. Edward William (1875-1876 Kinsale district)
9. Helena (1876)- in 1901 census with sister-in-law Charlotte
10. Frances Emma (1880-1950)

Isaac James Savage** (1868) m.(22 Sept.1896 Manhattan, N.Y.) Jane Anderson (born c1873 Louth) daughter of George Anderson and Jane Irwin. 1900 census says Isaac to U.S. in 1892- there is an Isaac Savage arriving N.Y, on "Marsala" from Queenstown, Ireland on 9 Apr.1892 (unfortunately passenger manifests at this date don't give much detail). A son James Richard A. Savage born Jan.1900 N.Y. and then the family moved back to Ireland (son John Wesley Savage born c1909 Cork).
1900 U.S. Census, marriage record and son's birth on LDS Pilot Site. 1911 census here (occupation baker & grocer)-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Kinsale_Urban/Fisher_Street/422933
Isaac may have intended to stay in U.S. (Isaac J. Savage born 22 Sept.1868, English, grocer, naturalized 2 July 1897). Wonder if return to Ireland had anything to do with death of his father in 1909?

Details in red added