Poll

How did you find Rootchat?

Directed to a topic via a search engine?
402 (50.8%)
Fellow researcher?
194 (24.5%)
Mailing list or message board?
82 (10.4%)
Magazine or poster?
16 (2%)
Other
97 (12.3%)

Total Members Voted: 786

Author Topic: How did you find Rootschat?  (Read 180642 times)

clagsey

Re: How did you find Rootschat?
« Reply #54 on: Friday 16 September 05 15:07 BST (UK) »
my dad heard about the site on radio merseyside.

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Friday 16 September 05 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Clagsey

Welcome to Rootschat

You're find people on here really helpful & friendly.  We all look forward to seeing more of your posts :)

Casalguidi

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Boomerang

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 17 September 05 18:08 BST (UK) »
This site was recommeded to me by a friend who had just started to research her family history. I hadn't really started tracing my family until I used Rootschat, but in the short time I have been researching I have got quite far back on all sides of my family, with the help of Rootschat.  ;)
AUSTRALIA: Knight, Wallis, Harrop, McNeill, Ditchburn        SCOTLAND: Macfarlane, Noble, Fulton, Nicholson, Cameron, Matheson, McQueen, McCauley       
LANCS: Varley, Wilkinson, Harrop, Knight, Clark, Chadwick, Hilton, Holt        YORKS: Varley, Wilkinson, Hilton, Holt, Ingham, Smith        LINCS: Clark, Melbourne, Taylor     

Census information is Crown Copyright @ www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RuthieB

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 17 September 05 19:28 BST (UK) »
my dad heard about the site on radio merseyside.

Is that PaulE's doing again?

Welcome Clagsy!

RuthieB
Jones, Mantle; Radnorshire
Russell, Stonehouse, Agar; Yorkshire/Durham
Brown, Fair; Durham,  
Little, Cumberland
Morris, Woolley, Owens; Montgomeryshire.

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AnjiM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 17 October 05 22:45 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to work out how to put my family tree on to my website and was on the Family Historian User Group site and Rootschat webspace was regularly being recomended.  Well I found the site and I've been so busy looking at the really useful help and advice on every kind of topic, I haven't had chance to look at the website thing!  Guess one thing all us family researchers have is patience so I know I'll get there someday.  :)
Arthur - Egloshayle, Cornwall
Atkins - Hyde Heath/Chesham, Bucks
Conway - Plymouth/London/Ireland
Cowle/Coule - Cornwall
Fry - Lymington Hampshire/Brighton
Keen, Moreton, Sander/Saunders - Cholesbury, Bucks
Montague - Poplar/Bethnal Green
Moyes - Suffolk
Rowlands - Oswestry, Shropshire
Ryder - Chorleywood
Wright - London

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 17 October 05 22:55 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to work out how to put my family tree on to my website and was on the Family Historian User Group site and Rootschat webspace was regularly being recomended. Well I found the site and I've been so busy looking at the really useful help and advice on every kind of topic, I haven't had chance to look at the website thing! Guess one thing all us family researchers have is patience so I know I'll get there someday. :)

Welcome AnjiM!

It's a wonderful rush when you first join RootsChat - all these different skills/talents, and loads of helpful people.  Within a month of joining I had my family history site up and running - there's loads of advice on this subject on this board http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,292.0.html, and in particular lots of examples to look at as listed on this post - http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,23896.0.html

I'm sure you'll continue to get a lot of out of RootsChat.

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Cal241

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • does my butt look big in this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Monday 17 October 05 23:02 BST (UK) »
My Cuz Prue M in Oz got my hooked!! My bro has now joined too!

Great site have made so much progress on here!

UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk                Bigg-Sheppey/West Ham<br />Dodd - Cheshire <br />Ingram - Dorset, London, Morlaix, Australia, California<br />Kerfoot - Warrington, Pemberton, St Asaph<br />McKinneley - N Ireland, Liverpool <br />Marshall - Midlothian, Cheshire<br />Morrish-Chelsea<br />Shiel - Melrose<br />Woodhall- Liverpool, Shropshire/Staffordshire<br />Dagliesh- Melrose<br />Stevenson - Melrose<br />Smith & Jones! Scotland & Wales

Offline ganache

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 20:17 BST (UK) »
Kirkcudbrightshire: Dunbar,Coltart
Dumfriesshire: Stevenson,Gibson,McWhir,Baird,Carruthers,Davidson,Sharp,Maxwell
Cumberland: Nixon

Offline Cedas

• RootsChat Member
  • my worst fear - I will turn into my 3 x gt grandma
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Wednesday 19 October 05 20:40 BST (UK) »
Well I am new so I know how I found it - I had been searching for ages for one ancestor - bought birth and death certs which turned out not to be him.  I could only find him on two census years - one he said he was from Birkenhead and the previous one he said Altrinhcam!  Eventually Altrincham turned out to be the one - he was born in 1850.  So I finally had confirmation of father's name and occupation mathcing the marriage cert.

A kind contact researching the same name (different person no family connection) posted a look up request for 1851 census . Another very kind rootschatter posted the reply and suddenly I had a host of new ancestors.  The jigsaw puzzle fitted together perfectly.

Brilliant - I joined in and saw what lovely people chat here and now I am an incurable addict - I rush home from work to see what new posts have appeared.  Hope I can be as helpful to someone else one day.
Davies: Flintshire & Liverpool<br />Williams: Anglesey & Liverpool<br />Hughes: Anglesey<br />Evans: N Wales<br />Street: Lancs & Cheshire<br />Skilling: Liverpool & Ulster<br />Gilfillan: Co Down<br />McNickle: Ulster, Derry<br />Dempsey: Co Derry<br />Bilsborrow: Liverpool<br />Potter: Liverpool
Also special interest in Edinburgh, Whiting and Goodger