Author Topic: MURTAGH  (Read 1850 times)

Offline lainey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
MURTAGH
« on: Tuesday 05 April 05 10:30 BST (UK) »
I have previously posted re this surname and have almost sorted things but have hit another brick wall. 

My GGG Aunt (nee Terry) married a MURTAGH.  On all the censuses she is the "wife of an Army Surgeon".  I was never able to find the husband but have just sent off for his daughter (Catherine's) marriage certificate and his name was Archibald Murtagh.

As suggested on this board his occupation may have been "hyped" up a bit and this has turned out to be true, his occupation was actually Master Mariner not Army Surgeon.  Now I have his first name I have searched for him everywhere and can't find him on any of the censuses.  His son Archibald appears (born abt 1882) but no sign of Archibald senior.  I presume if he was a Master Mariner he may have been at sea.  The only definite fact I know that he is listed as deceased on his daughters marriage certificate in 1900.

I have looked on 1837 online to try and find his son and daughters birth records so I could apply for their certificates for further info on him but I can't find these either!

(I have previously posted on the Hampshire Board in here which details the census records under the title "Help Please" !!)

Are there any census records for people at sea?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Elaine

Cole, Lawrence, Sturgess, Terry, Wareham, Broomfield, Taylor, Lovett, Davis, Brindley