Author Topic: Sandy, Bedfordshire  (Read 11620 times)

Offline davendonna2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Sandy, Bedfordshire
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 30 September 10 16:27 BST (UK) »
It's almost as if the Jeeves/Jeives/Geeves were spawned in Sandy.  Ours were market gardeners and brick layers and come out to Canada around 1880. 
Jeeves (1674-1821) of Sandy, Bedfordshire
Coltman (1833) of High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire
Lowry (1767) of Cumberland, England
Berryman (1858) Cornwall, England

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 30 September 10 16:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Sharm     & welcome to RootsChat

Have you checked the Sandy PR marriage to see if it gives an abode for Alice Hart or if she was a widow. The IGI member submission suggests she was born 1762 (guessed at as being 21 years prior to marriage year !) but there is no extracted baptism for her in Bedfordshire; although a Thomas & Elizabeth Hart were baptising children at Sandy between 1762 & 1772.

That's why I suggested she may be a young widow - being an Alice xxxxx previously married to a Mr Hart, but I have not found one as yet.

Regards John     
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline scarlett98

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 30 September 10 18:41 BST (UK) »
Hello
I found the marriage for Francis Jeeves/Geeves and Alice Hart on the free reg site, on it it says hes a widower it doesn't say she is, nor does it mention abodes, i don't know how to access the original record (i live in Lancashire).
John Geeves 1786 married Ann Allen (shes a mystery as well) in 1807 Cheshunt, Hertfordshire.
I do have some information on Francis and john's children if anyone thinks they would like them.
John and his family moved to the Bethnal green area of Middlesex by the time of the 1841 census.
Sharm  :)

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 01 October 10 07:21 BST (UK) »
You can order and view the microfilm of the parish register at your nearest LDS Family History Centre - there's a list on www.familysearch.org.

His first marriage may have been at Henlow on 20 July 1778 where Francis Jeeves of Sandy married Elizabeth Pierce (per transcript). Elizabeth Jeives, wife of Francis, was buried at Sandy on 9 Nov 1780 (Freereg).

Usually transcripts only add parish of residence if other than otp, otherwise it's assumed that the it's otp.

David
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 02 October 10 14:56 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth Jeives, wife of Francis, was buried at Sandy on 9 Nov 1780 (Freereg).

This as expected is on the PR; however the next entry on 29 Nov 1780 is burial of John, son of Francis Jeives - but I cannot find a baptism for him.

The marriage entry on the PR transcript has no further info on Alice Hart
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Broadbrush

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 24 February 20 22:34 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if the respondents davendonna from Canada are still on this site ?
I have recently discovered a link between my BROAD ancestors & the JEEVES family of Sandy.
My 5x Gt grandfather moved around through being a brushmaker. Born in Salisbury, he married in Kettering in 1805, having numerous children there. He ended his days in London, but seemingly via Norfolk & Suffolk where some of his sons set up businesses. He & his wife, plus 2 youngest sons & all of his daughters ended up in the Clerkenwell area.
I've just discovered that one daughter, HARRIOT married ALLEN JEEVES (b1808) there in 1832 - but he was from Sandy, & that is where they lived thereafter - seemingly Settington House at some point. 1861 census shows them in Beeston & Allen with 150 Acres employing 12 men.
I'm also interested in another gardener CHARLES CARTER - who was a witness to above wedding, and also lived in Sandy. It seems that he was the brother of Harriots mother, CHARLOTTE, nee CARTER. The name of CARTER was passed down a couple of BROAD generations - and I've seen a JEEVES one as well. I've come up with a number of JEEVES family. Does this help anyone or can anyone fill me in a bit more ? Thanks

Offline Retired2021

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 02 October 21 19:59 BST (UK) »
Hi
My first post on this site and I suspect 3x grandfather came from Beeston but after marrying Jane Brown they moved into Lincolnshire and travelled about a bit. Apart from the spelling of the surname would I be right in thinking Samuel Geeves 1821 came from Beeston