Author Topic: STOYLE & LEE Carpenters & Builders US lookup  (Read 19338 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: STOYLE & LEE Carpenters & Builders US lookup
« Reply #72 on: Sunday 26 September 10 17:12 BST (UK) »
Good question; I wondered, too.  There are some Stoyles in the US who might work as recipients; in Ohio and upstate NY.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Sunday 26 September 10 19:51 BST (UK) »
Are you sure the postcard was mailed (in an envelope) to someone in England?

PS  Thank you for the photo enlargements.
[/quote

The postcard was, I presume, mailed in an envelope but I could not tell you if the UK was it's destination.
It's presumed it's destination was the UK as the writer uses Sterling to express an amount of money.If it were going inland surely the writer would use dollars? UNLESS he was writing to fellow Brits in the US of course. The postcard was purchased,by me, in England.
The writer also calls the wood "timber"and refers to the "first and second floors" terms more British than American I believe.
Reading it again I'm convinced Ted is the writer and Sally his wife.....but I stand corrected!
TABB of Saltash

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Sunday 26 September 10 20:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone,

Referring back to reply 17 from Ambra and the question asked on reply 64 by 001UK. Just posting to give a little background on the Edward Stoyle who was quoted. He did marry in Bedwelty in Q3 1904. The Father John Stoyle died in Bedwelty in March 1902 and Elizabeth his Mother in Dec 1904. According to a family tree the fathers occupation was Board of Trade Inspector.  I have'nt found the family yet in 1871 but the siblings of Edward are listed as John Clarke Stoyle 1853 - 1885. George Henry Stoyle 1855 - 1930. Thomas Stoyle 1857 - 1904.  William Stoyle 1863 - 1941. Elizabeth Stoyle 1870. Arthur Stoyle 1871 - 1960.  Very well travelled family most of the births are in different locations around the UK and including Scotland. As yet I have'nt been able to check them out. I also checked out all the US Census and Passenger records as d Erato did much earlier and found nothing apart from the 1910 possibility.

This shows the Edward Stoyle referred to:-

1901 Wales Census   - Civil parish: Bedwellty  - Ecclesiastical parish: Bedwellty St Sannan -Town: Blackwood. Monmouthshire.  Wales.

John C Stoyle 77 Born Launceston, Cornwall, England. The initial "C" stands for Clarke. Pensioner - Royal Engineers
Elizabeth Stoyle 71 Born Southampotn. Hampshire.
Edward Stoyle 36 Born  Methlic, Aberdeenshire, Scotland. Carpenter. Worker.

In 1891 I suspect this is also Edward Stoyle although it says born Essex - no Edward Stoyle was listed for that County on the BMD Records - it also may show he had a Military background. Also interestingly the 2 others William and Arthur are the correct ages for his brothers.

1891 Census Civil parish - St Giles County - Essex

Cavalry and Artillery Barracks

Edward Stoyle 26
Arthur Stoyle 19
William Stoyle 25

1881 Wales Census Montgomery

Hannah Davies 59
John C. Stoyle 57 Boarder. Born Cornwall. Civil Assist Ordinance Survey C S O Officer
Edward Stoyle 16 Boarder. Born Scotland. Civil Assist Ordinance Survey C S O Officer

The Mother Elizabeth and other siblings are in Bedwellty - 1881 Wales Census

Elizabeth Stoyle 48
William Stoyle 14
Elizabeth Jane Stoyle 11
Arthur Stoyle 9

Regards
Sandra

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline johnnyboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Monday 27 September 10 16:57 BST (UK) »
Are you sure the postcard was mailed (in an envelope) to someone in England?

PS  Thank you for the photo enlargements.
[/quote

The postcard was, I presume, mailed in an envelope but I could not tell you if the UK was it's destination.
It's presumed it's destination was the UK as the writer uses Sterling to express an amount of money.If it were going inland surely the writer would use dollars? UNLESS he was writing to fellow Brits in the US of course. The postcard was purchased,by me, in England.
The writer also calls the wood "timber"and refers to the "first and second floors" terms more British than American I believe.
Reading it again I'm convinced Ted is the writer and Sally his wife.....but I stand corrected!

I think that your purchase of it in England is proof enough that it was sent to England. Unless a British recipient in the U.S. took it back to the U.K. Did the seller tell you where and how he/she obtained it?

Americans use--and probably used at the time of the photo--"lumber" for "timber." And I guess I should have used "pavement" instead of "sidewalk"! 

Sandra: Thanks for posting the information on the Stoyles. Helpful in making them real.

John  :o :o :o
ENGLAND (all Yorkshire but one)
SLATER: Ovenden, Halifax, and Massachusetts
DOBSON, LONGBOTTOM: Thornton (Bradford)
DRURY: Darton, Halifax, and Massachusetts
NEVIL(LE): Wigan (Lancs.), Darton
MEGSON: Dewsbury, Ossett
GARSIDE: Woolley, West Bretton

SCOTLAND
ROBERT HENDRY: b. 1856, Who-knows-where-shire, Scotland; 1882 to US
DEMPSTER, HOUSTON: Lesmahagow, Glasgow, and Massachusetts
GALBRAITH, MEIKLE: Kirkmichael, Ayr.; Hamilton, Glasgow, and Massachusetts

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Monday 27 September 10 17:56 BST (UK) »
Hi John
I agree, I think it's destination was the UK.
Have yet to ascertain the chain of purchase.
You carry on using sidewalk....when in Rome etc.
TABB of Saltash

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 02:27 BST (UK) »
I agree that the postcard was more than likely mailed to the UK.  However, when I was a child and visiting Ireland, my mum met whom we thought was a distant relative.  For 30 years we thought we knew how we were related.  About 5 years ago I found out we were not related by the common ancestor "John".  Ever since then, I've been very careful about assuming anything.  (As it turns out, we still may be related, just not with the ancestor we thought we both shared.)

The postcard was probably sent to the UK, but I would keep an open mind.  ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline 001uk

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Tuesday 28 September 10 07:46 BST (UK) »
I agree that the postcard was more than likely mailed to the UK.  However, when I was a child and visiting Ireland, my mum met whom we thought was a distant relative.  For 30 years we thought we knew how we were related.  About 5 years ago I found out we were not related by the common ancestor "John".  Ever since then, I've been very careful about assuming anything.  (As it turns out, we still may be related, just not with the ancestor we thought we both shared.)

The postcard was probably sent to the UK, but I would keep an open mind.  ;)

Agreed!
There's really no way of ever finding out.The card could have been anywhere since c1915!
TABB of Saltash