Author Topic: St Andrew's Old Church, Hove - MI?  (Read 1340 times)

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
St Andrew's Old Church, Hove - MI?
« on: Thursday 02 September 10 18:09 BST (UK) »
A distant relative is supposed to have a memorial inscription in St Andrew's Old Church at Hove - Charlotte Blake, who died in December 1879.
If there is anyone nearby who is able to visit the church and see if the plaque is still in existence, I would be most grateful for a note of the wording.
Having never been to Hove [sorry!] and unlikely to visit [sorry again!!] I hope someone can help, and I will do a return favour if possible.
A

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: St Andrew's Old Church, Hove - MI?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 September 10 18:51 BST (UK) »
If your relative's memorial was in the graveyard, you may have a problem.
I believe when Church Road was widened in 1895, a considerable number of occupants of St Andrews cemetery were dug up and reinterred in the large cemetery in Old Shoreham Road.  At the time there many complaints for the firm that did the work were not very good at keeping detailed records and they were even accused of grave robbing.  (Brighton Examiner 5 July 1895)
Some of the headstones turned up later being used as building materials and as steps down into basement properties.
Roy G

Offline ainslie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: St Andrew's Old Church, Hove - MI?
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 September 10 22:49 BST (UK) »
Roy
That's a very sad story and not unique, but from what I read, I think the memorial might be inside the church.
A