Author Topic: Catherine Collins b 1901 Dublin  (Read 14545 times)

Offline agnieszka

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Catherine Collins b 1901 Dublin
« on: Friday 03 September 10 15:38 BST (UK) »
I am trying to find my grandmothers birth. I believe she was born Catherine Collins in Dublin 1901 but cannot find a record of this.
I found her family in the 1901 Ireland Census living in  Digges Street, Upper, Dublin South. Her parents were Ralph Collins and Bridget Madden. She had siblings called Mary, Teresa, Ralph. Margaret and Bridget.
My grandmother came to Scotland about 1917+. She married in Scotland, lived all her life and died here. I would love to know more about her family. I couldn't find them in the 1911 census.
Thanks for any help you can give me.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Catherine Collins b 1901 Dublin
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 September 10 15:49 BST (UK) »
Have you already tried some of the possible matches on the Irish Civil BMD index ?  There seems to be a few possible matches on there..some as 'Kate'

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 September 10 15:59 BST (UK) »
found a possible for one of the children (Ralph) on the 1911 census, attending a boarding school in Molesworth Street, Philipstown (now Daingean)

see : Boarding School, Philipstown

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 September 10 16:50 BST (UK) »
For reference here's the family in 1901 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Dublin/Mansion_House/Digges_Street_Upper/1342891

Searching for 'Ralph Collins' in civil registration index brings up only 3 entries (Dublin South registration district)-
married Apr./June 1891 (Ralph and Bridget)
birth July/Sept,1895 (Ralph Francis)
dewath July/Sept.1924 (age 58 so born c1866)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 September 10 16:57 BST (UK) »
The following site lists the baptism of Theresa Mary Collins, born 1892m daughter of Ralph Collins & Bridget Madden of 28 Greenore Terrace at St. Andrew's (R.C. Church)
http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline agnieszka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 September 10 12:53 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to shanew 147 and aghadowey for help with Catherine Collins. I wonder if you could answer a few questions for me as I am new to Irish genealogy.
I am still unable to link Catherine to her family. She was born on 13 September 1901 so obviously doesn't appear on the 1901 Census. There are no births for Catherine Collins in Dublin South in the third quarter of 1901. Do I assume she is the Kate Collins whose birth is listed?
Why can I only find a few of the family in the 1911 census?
I found Ralph Collins Jr. in the school in Tullamore age 18. Was this a Reformatory as stated?
I found Teresa Collins 19 employed as a domestic servant in Dublin.
Why can't I find the parents Ralph Collins and his wife Bridget and their younger children Bridget c 14, Margaret c 12 and Catherine c 9.
Does it mean that they were not in Ireland at the time of the census?
Any help would be gratefully received.

Offline annette hammond

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 January 12 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi my name is annette and Ralph Collins is my gr gr Grandfather, i have some information for you that might help, ralph married bridgetin 1891 this was his second marrage, in the 1911 cencus bridget collins iswith her uncle Andrew Carberry, maybe Catherine is with another relitive ? info i have on ralph is he is a coach builder, his father is John Collins and mother Jane Williams, hope this will help

Annette

Offline agnieszka

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 17:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello Annette.
Thank you for your post. I didn't have Ralph's parents' names and I didn't know he had been married before. Do you know his 1st wife's name?
Your great great grandfather Ralph Collins would have been my great uncle, I think.
Ralph Collins junior died in WWI
I have done quite a lot of research on Catherine Dunlop,my grandmother who was the daughter of Ralph senior and the sister of Ralph junior.
Regards
Agnes

Offline hasta

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Was Ralph junior in the Royal Navy during WW1 ?

I see a record for Ralph Collins, born 1895, Dublin, died 1918, naming his mother Bridget Collins as Next of Kin at an address in Cork. (9, Well Lane, Cork)
A long shot here maybe but I see this family in Cork in 1911 census, Bridget (mother) with daughters Bridget 13, Margaret 11, Kate 9, and Nora 3. Seems broadly correct. but not perfect. No Ralph, though she is married, and her age is out, also lists the children as having been born in Cork.

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__4_Urban__part_of_/Washbrew_Lane/391417/