Author Topic: AMOS sisters - MARY GAFFIGAN, ANNIE McKEE and ISABELLA CAMPBELL  (Read 10251 times)

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
AMOS sisters - MARY GAFFIGAN, ANNIE McKEE and ISABELLA CAMPBELL
« on: Friday 03 September 10 19:07 BST (UK) »
I am looking for illusive materials on the AMOS sisters, ANNIE, ISABELLA and MARY, and anything on the life of JOHN AMOS GAFFIGAN, my great grandfather.  This would include materials on MARGARET CRENNAN GAFFIGAN, my great grandmother, and AGNES BRIDGID CRENNAN GAFFIGAN CARROLL, as stated in her obituary and was my grandmother.

MARY AMOS GAFFIGAN (with her sisters, ANNIE AMOS [or possibly McKEE] and ISABELLA CAMPBELL) had left to go to Scotland with her husband PATRICK GAFFIGAN.  We have not located their marriage, in either Ireland or Scotland. Patrick was also born in Ireland according to records we have found.  They had two children, Thomas and John Amos, who were born in Scotland.  After his death she took the children and went to California to live among the two other sisters had arrived in Northern California - before 1867.

In our search for my great grandfather, JOHN AMOS GAFFIGAN, we found that he arrived in the United States with his mother and brother THOMAS in July 1867, aboard the SS Iowa from Glasgow and Londonderry-Moville. We know that he was born in Paisley, Scotland, about 1859, but his parents, Mary AMOS and Patrick GAFFIGAN, were according to various census information from somewhere in Ireland but had left for Scotland probably for work. His father Patrick was born about 1822 and mother Mary was born about 1833, and in both cases ostensibly in Ireland – probably Ulster. Patrick apparently died in Scotland, but we have no details of that death and burial at all.

The family, without the father, arrived in New York and stayed in New Haven, Connecticut. to get bearings from their relatives or sponsors before they made the trip to California. But we have no idea who those people might have been.

We also do not know how they made their way and transited to the Isthmus. But they boarded the Moses Taylor in Nicaragua bound for San Francisco. There they were met by Mary’s sisters. But we have run into an identification problem. It seems as though they may have been sponsored by either one or both of her sisters, who were resident of San Francisco at that time.
The Gaffigans (or Goffigans as listed in the Manifest), and (who may have started out in Scotland as McGaffigan according to the 1851 Scottish census) were met in San Francisco by a Mrs. Charles (Isabella, nee AMOS) CAMPBELL, who then lived at #6 Thompson Avenue in South Park, San Francisco. (This was prior to the great earthquake and fire of 1906, which destroyed much of that area.) They were met also by a Miss Annie AMOS of #5 Thompson Avenue, another aunt that was then single, widowed or divorced.

Mr. Charles Campbell was evidently employed as a collar maker at the Kimball Company at 4th and Bryant. They lived on that block that had a Miss Kelly and daughter, the Crennan family (John married a Maggie Crennan), the Driscolls and the Goodenoughlys.
The Gaffigans temporarily stayed with Annie (or Anna) AMOS (who may have been a Mrs. McKee, but we do not know: SF Census, 1880, born about 1832). They had landed in San Francisco about August 1867.  They then had to move to Alameda California in 1868 with Annie because of the earthquake that year. The two families resided with a Dr. Lambert for the rest of the year and returned to San Francisco in 1869.  They then resided with a Mr. James O’CONNELL who had a stationary and book store at 310 5th street. But we do not know just where Annie lived at that time, nor do we know where the Campbells were residing.

We would like to confirm that Isabella CAMPBELL (CAMPPELL in SF 1880 census, born about 1834) and Annie AMOS (possibly Anna McKEE) were the sisters of Mary AMOS GAFFIGAN.
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: AMOS sisters - MARY GAFFIGAN, ANNIE McKEE and ISABELLA CAMPBELL
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 September 10 20:51 BST (UK) »
1880 Census  San Francisco, California

John Gaffigan 23 Born Scotland. Printer
Maggie Gaffigan 21 Born California.
Arthur Gaffigan 1m Born California

1900 Census San Francisco, California

All children born California

John Gaffigan 43 Born Scotland. Married 1878. Immigrated 1867. Naturalized. printer.
Margaret Gaffigan 41 Had 7 Children and 7 survive.
Arthur Gaffigan 20 Singer
Albert Gaffigan 17 Peddler Of fruits
John Gaffigan 15 Can-Maker
Mary Gaffigan 13
Aggie Gaffigan 11
Lillie Gaffigan 8
Clara Gaffigan 9 months

http://www.rootschat.com/links/09p1/

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 September 10 21:00 BST (UK) »
1910 Census  San Francisco Assembly District 34, San Francisco, California

John Gaffigan 52 Married for 32 years. Painter. House. Immigrated 1870
Margaret Gaffigan 32 Had 8 children and 7 survive
Arthur A Gaffigan 30 Labourer. All Kinds
Albert A Gaffigan 28 Printer
Agnus A Gaffigan 21 Stenographer. Painter. House.
Lilly A Gaffigan 18 Cashier. Theatre.
Clara Gaffigan 10
Albert Gaffigan 11/2
Mary A Gaffigan 23

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 September 10 22:17 BST (UK) »
1870 Census San Francisco Ward 9, San Francisco, California

Chas Campell 43 Born New Jersey. Engineer.
Isabella Campell 38 Born Ireland.

1880 Census  San Francisco, California

C. Camppell 54 Born New Jersey. Commission Mt
Isabella Camppell 46 Born ireland
Anna Mckee 48 Born ireland. Boarder

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 September 10 23:10 BST (UK) »
Sandra, thank you very much  ;D

This last transmission is very new information and it starts to fill a hole that I have been wondering about.

So I can go back to New Jersey to locate the Campbells (sic) to see when they married.  It is now evident that they - the sisters - came to San Francisco from that area.  I had heard that Anna might have been married, but we had her as Annie Amos for so long we did not know.  This boarder is the oldest sister, and it confirms that she must have gotten married somewhere along the line.  I wonder just where.

Mary, John's mother, was in Scotland but what of the sisters?  That is a trail I am attempting to unravel. 

Maggie Gaffigan, John's wife, was a Crennan (nee Murphy) and they lived next door in South Park, San Francisco. 

That 1870 census material was new as it relates to the Campell (sic).  I wonder if I have been barking up the wrong tree by looking for Campbell when their name may have been Campell or Camppell.  It gives me something more to go on.  Again, thank you very much!!!  8) I have just had my eyes opened.
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 September 10 10:21 BST (UK) »
Living next door to Charles Campell in 1870 was Thomas Campbell, age 30, machinist.  He was born in Scotland.  Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but could he possibly have been a relative?

Could your Gaffigans have moved to Alameda County in 1868?  If they did live in the City of Alameda, and you are interested, I could tell you a bit about their neigbourhood, if you have their address.  (I know Alameda [city] quite well.)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 September 10 12:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Lisa,

Just to update on the searches I've done so far.

I did see Thomas Campbell above Charles on the 1870 - wife and children all born New York but can't locate marriage for that. See an entry for a Thomas Campbell born Ireland with his Mother in 1860 New York but no Scotland entries.

New Jersey Marriages 1768 - 1985 shows nothing for Chas/Charles Campell/Camppell/Campbell that I can see.

A few Charles Campell/Campbell born around 1826/27 nothing that sticks out in earlier Census for New Jersey or California.

Nothing in the California San Francisco Area Funeral Home Records 1835 - 1931 that I can see for any Gaffigan/Campell/McKee etc.,

Castlegarden or the "A" site don't have any appropriate immigration entries for Isabella or Annie/Anna Amos. Tried them under McKee and Campell/Camppell/Campbell to see if either went to the USA married - drawn a blank there as well.
Nearest I came was an entry for an Isabella Ames aged 22 years Londonderry to Philadelphia on SS Rockaway 23 Aug 1853  ???

Regards
Sandra  :(

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 September 10 14:06 BST (UK) »
 ::) Lisa, as a result of the earthquake in 1868 (and except for the fire of 1906, it was a doozy!) both Mary and her kids went to Alameda.  Annie went also.

They lived for that short time, according to John's Journal (and you must sift through that because it took a lot of imagination for him to compile), "in a large rustic holding as a hostelry." It was owned by a Doctor Lambert.  According to an 1880 census record a Bernard Lambert lived on High Street in Alameda and he was a retired physician.

:-\ Sandra, I had been in correspondence with a person that indicated she was a daughter-in-law of John Amos Gaffigan for a while, and then it ended when the bubble was busted up, and she had to attend to her children.  It seems that she had a "Journal" and you had to read it with quite a bit of salt because it was after the fact and did not relate to a lot of real world.  But, it contained enough to look around San Francisco and I have used it as a starting point in many of my searches.  Aggie B, my grandmother, evidently did not get along with John her father and was very closed mouth about the early years.  Actually, very little in that family could have been civil discourse for John went a little batty in his mid-life and later.

I never heard about the Thomas Campbell, but then I actually heard little about that part of the family.  His journal did not mention those children and he did mention the Crennan girl, who he married in later life.

I have Charles Campell/Camppell working as a collar maker, not an engineer or commission(?), and as it was transcribed to me it was a Campbell.  His Journal stated about 1867, "We are sent to a childrens scholll at No 1 Thompson Ave.  More to lose our brogue than anything. There was six houses on this little street. No 1 by Mrs Kelly and her daughter who kept the little school  #2 by the Crenan (sic) family - 3 by the Driscoll family 4 - by Mr Goodenough and wife - 5 by Miss Annie Amos and 6 by Mr. and Mrs Campbell..."  There was no Thomas Campbell on that street at the time Mary came to live with the two sisters.

But, I do think that you may have found an entry that could lead to some place.  That was the "Ames" one.  The age does track a bit for Isabella as she was 2 years younger than her sister Anna.  Given that she had listed her age as 22 in 1853 she would have been born about 1831 or 1832.  Because there may have been something (???) going on between the McCarrolls and the Amos girls, and she left for Philadelphia from Londonderry (Moville?) that is a port in Ulster and closely associated with those of Tyrone.  We have never been able to track those girls, only Mary and Patrick and the fact that they were both born in Ireland.

??? Could there have been something about Connecticut?  Mary and the kids stayed there, according to the Journal, before they left for California.  Or, alternatively, because this person came through Philadelphia (and a lot of Irish did), she may have gotten married around there.  Could Anna have been married to someone there, or over in Ulster - we may never find out.

Just remember, in Latin the term for Irish was Scotus.  And it is just across the lake, and a lot of Irish had gone over there, and a lot of Scots had come over to Ireland and Ulster over the years.

Thank you, thank you!   Jim