Author Topic: AMOS sisters - MARY GAFFIGAN, ANNIE McKEE and ISABELLA CAMPBELL  (Read 10288 times)

Offline inezpurcell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: AMOS sisters - MARY GAFFIGAN, ANNIE McKEE and ISABELLA CAMPBELL
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 18:18 BST (UK) »
hi sandra,

thank you so much for your reply! i was surprised to see it - i was trying to navigate the site and found your response.

i hope that jim is okay. i am so happy to find you all.

i wonder if isabella and inez somehow connect? the name inez on my grandmother's birth certificate comes out of the blue.

on the trail,
best wishes,
tracey

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 18:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Tracey,

Looks like you are doing fine navigating the site.  ;D Didn't want you thinking we were ignoring you  ;D  Will have to sit down in a quiet moment and have a reread of this thread since it was a little while ago I have forgotten much of the info.

Have a great day.
Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline inezpurcell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 18:52 BST (UK) »
thank you , sandra!

best wishes,
tracey

Offline inezpurcell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 30 May 13 08:08 BST (UK) »
hi all,

in searching the riley family, specifically letitia's husband thomas gaffigan, i found this death notice of margaret gaffigan in san francisco, wife of milton gaffigan:

http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn85066387/1913-05-20/ed-1/seq-4/

i hope that this helps someone.

tracey

Offline inezpurcell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 30 May 13 08:52 BST (UK) »
hi again,

there are many amos listings at this site:
and lots of gaffigans
http://sortedbyname.com/index.html

the more i search the riley/gaffigan line the more intrigued i am.

and the missouri/ california/ ireland/ scotland connection.

sometimes someone shines a light on things, coming out of nowhere.

hope this helps,
tracey

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 08 June 13 00:52 BST (UK) »
That was fine research; however, it is not one of my past relatives.  The mystery still lingers on all of these years.

But thank you  ;D
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline inezpurcell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 22 July 13 21:27 BST (UK) »
hi mr carroll,

i just found this:
http://www.sfgenealogy.com/sf/orphans/497.jpg

it may be something. who knows?

i continue the search for my riley ancestors.

best wishes,
tracey

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 22 July 13 23:12 BST (UK) »
 8) tracy,

Although it did not have anything on my father's side the fact that I found the Lick yearbooks was a partial success.  You see, my mother was a graduate of Lux - the women's school - around 1932 or 33.  While there was a pause after the 1931 year "books" it gave me a gratuitous feeling that the Gallaghers could be found somewhere in the archives.  As you know, they spelt it Gallagher but pronounced it as Galla-her, from Counties Donegal and Fermanagh. To allow them a little latitude would be to go with the Leonards, my grandmother on my mother's side who was born Hazel Leonard and married a Jim Gallagher.

These Gaffigans were my grandmother's people from my father's side, which makes me a Son of the Golden West.  Actually, she went to Ireland to marry my grandfather, Michael McCarroll (who had gone to San Francisco but returned to Ireland's County Tyrone.

Yes, it whets the appetite and one wonders how much could be found in these searches.
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 24 September 18 16:31 BST (UK) »
Hello Sandra -

I am back, not from the dead but just muttering around in my 80s. :-X

I have looked around but could not find most of my postings (which as you pointed out, stopped a long time ago - short for myself).

I tried to make heads or tails from the posting to date on the Amos sisters (who had left Ireland and gone to Scotland, for work), who one of turned up as the married companion of a Gaffigan that went on to San Francisco.  In any event, it did turn me on to a little more research into my past.

This Gaffigan had a distict past, and for the life of himself stated for all to know he was a Scot - not an Irishman.  Actually, he was a San Franciscan even though he wasn't born there.  There were scads of northern Irish that gravitated to San Francisco, even as youngsters that had lost their fathers in Scotland.

But that is just a bit of digression. :P

I am still wondering just what happened to my posting of the MacCarroll connection to Eskra, by way of a few stops in San Francisco.  But we shall make it due for a while and maybe I will return to these boards.

Jim Carroll