Author Topic: AMOS sisters - MARY GAFFIGAN, ANNIE McKEE and ISABELLA CAMPBELL  (Read 10250 times)

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: AMOS sisters - MARY GAFFIGAN, ANNIE McKEE and ISABELLA CAMPBELL
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 04 September 10 14:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Jim,

The Pennsylvania - Philadelphia Marriage Index runs 1885 - 1951 so drew a blank there on Isabella Ames.

Tried to locate James OConnell in 1880 - daft thought being could Mary have re-married  ???

Where is Thomas Gaffigan  ???  I can see a possible in 1900, 1910 and 1920.  With Thomas on the 1910 is a mother Mary aged 78 years born in Ireland 1832 but Thomas appears to have been born in Massachusetts in 1859  ???  His wife was Emma Hart married 1893 but Thomas was widowed by 1910.

Tried to come forward in the hope of finding something in the lines of John Gaffigan's children that might link Campell - McKee  - John Amos Gaffigan born 31 Aug 1884 in San Francisco, CA. Died 23 Aug 1946 in San Mateo, CA. Owner of Gaffigan Sheet Metal Works. I see there still is a Gaffigan Company in San Mateo. He married Marguerite Mary McCarthy  b: 04 March 1892 in Santa Clara Co, CA.  So far I can see nothing -

Still searching  ???

Regards
Sandra  ;) 
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 04 September 10 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hello Jim,

Where is Thomas Gaffigan  ???  I can see a possible in 1900, 1910 and 1920.  With Thomas on the 1910 is a mother Mary aged 78 years born in Ireland 1832 but Thomas appears to have been born in Massachusetts in 1859  ???  His wife was Emma Hart married 1893 but Thomas was widowed by 1910.

Regards
Sandra  ;) 

Just blown this possibility out of the water - marriage record for Thomas Gaffigan shows fathers name as John and Mother as Mary Conners.  :(
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 04 September 10 14:58 BST (UK) »
Have you been in touch with this contact on the link below - they seems to be saying John Amos Gaffigan was married previously  ??? Last worked on the site in June 2010.  But they are no further back than John  ???

http://www.rootschat.com/links/09pm/

ADDED:- Same person on this link

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hhickman/pd3.htm

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 04 September 10 15:16 BST (UK) »
Sandra, thank you for your illusive hunt.  I had read the first posting and thought, "How did she ever go there... with Thomas?"  Then I saw the next one, and was relieved.  

I really think that it was a scriviner's error and that Izzy was the Ames because Amos is so little known in Northern Ireland.  I think in all of my searches around there we only came up with a handful and none of them proved out.  I will now go back over it and try again.  That there were three girls, or sisters, that all indicate that they were from Ireland is an indication that there is something there.  And, the fact that Patrick took Mary to Scotland so he could find work and is shown in two census records but there is no record of his death complicates the whole darned thing.

Also, when I said that John was a bit imaginative that was an understatement.  He held out that he was a highlander and good Queen Victoria had given him the Highland Outfit that he wore to America - and he never was near the highlands being more familiar with Paisley and the Glasgow area.  He denied he was Irish and held out he was a Scot, born in Scotland, and this was in an Irish comunity (in the late 1800s San Francisco was over 30 percent Irish!).  But, we don't have a record of his father's death.

That is why I had turned to attempting to find something on those two sisters.

Oh well, for an old man it is much more than a game.  Actually, it is now easier to keyboard than it is to talk due to a stroke that does keep me from blathering too much.  But, I guess I make it up with all of this posting.

Again, thank you very much.  Jim  ::)

Whhhooops, something more just came in.

No, I don't have information on his marriage previously.  Could it have been his son?

But I will look it over and let you know, after I shave and shower.  It is 8:15 in the morning now, in the High Desert of Utah.  Jim
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 04 September 10 15:33 BST (UK) »
Hello Jim,

It is surprising that no-one is connecting these 3 sisters in Ireland  ???

Funnily enough when I looked through 1860 Census entries for an Isabella Ames/Amos, I find one in Utah  ???  Spooky  ??? Just for information purposes I will type it below - this one born 1835 Scotland.  ??? Everyone else listed has got various birthplaces. How do you make any sense of that one  ???

1860 Cache, Utah Territory

Ira Ames 55 Born Utah
Catherine Ames 48 Born Utah
Sarah Ames 46 Born Ohio
Isabella Ames 25 Born Scotland
Saml Ames 18 Born illinois
Merredith Ames 15 Born Pennsylvania
Henry Ames 8 Born Utah

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 04 September 10 15:59 BST (UK) »
Hello Jim,

Just to make you aware, there is a family tree on the "A" site which says Patrick Gaffigan born 1822 Ireland and Mary GIBSON born 1833 Ireland  ??? No further details other than they have attached the 1861 Scotland Census and then followed the line of John, giving him a wife called Margaret Jackson  ???

I've also noticed 2 entries in San Francisco Directories which you may or may not have already:-

John A. Gaffigan - Year: 1889  City: San Francisco  - Location 2: 16 1/2 Sumner  - Occupation: Pressman

and

John A. Gaffigan  - Year: 1890  - City: San Francisco  - State: CA
Location 2: r. 1131 Twenty-second  - Occupation: Musician and Pressman

Sandra

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 04 September 10 16:08 BST (UK) »
Entries for Thomas Gaffigan - US City Directories

1879 -1881

Mary Gaffigan - widow - r 2 Lewis
Mary A Gaffigan - widow - r 1025 Harrison
Thomas A Gaffigan - labourer - r 1025 Harrison

Thomas Gaffigan - Year: 1889 City: San Francisco State: CA  - Location 2: 33 Lafayette  - Business Name: S. F. Box Co. Occupation: Sawyer

Thomas A. Gaffigan - Year: 1890 City: San Francisco State: CA -  Location 2: r. 33 Lafayette  Business Name: S. F. Box Co. Occupation: Sawyer

Name: Thomas E. Gaffigan  Year: 1890 City: San Francisco State: CA - Location 2: r. 618 Jones Business Name: W. H. Dwyer & Co. Occupation: Clerk

Sandra

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 04 September 10 16:59 BST (UK) »
San Francisco Morning Call Newspaper - Vital Records for 1869-1900 

http://www.jwfgenresearch.com/SFCall/6900-57.htm

Gaffigan, Thomas A married in 1880 to Riley, Letitia   Could this be Thomas  ???

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 04 September 10 17:17 BST (UK) »
Now here is food for thought:-

1900 Census Redwood City, San Mateo, California

John C Conlon 43 Born England. Clergyman
Mary E Conlon 32 Born England. Sister
Rachael Kearns 50 Born England. Male. Clergyman
Letitia Gafigan 38 Born Sept 1862 Missouri. Father Ireland Mother England. Had 4 children and 2 survive. Widowed.
Mable Gafigan 18 Born August 1882. Father St Louis  ??? Mother Scotland
Milton Gafigan 11 Born Jan 1889. Father St Louis.  ???  Mother Scotland

1910 Census  Oakland Ward 1, Alameda, California

Letitia Gaffigan 45 Born Missouri. Parents Ireland.
Milton Gaffigan 21 Father Born SCOTLAND. Mother Missouri.
Mabel Gaffigan 23 Father Born SCOTLAND. Mopther Missouri.