Author Topic: Michael McCARROLL and Agnes GAFFIGAN, from Dundalk to Omagh 1912  (Read 2453 times)

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michael McCARROLL and Agnes GAFFIGAN, from Dundalk to Omagh 1912
« on: Saturday 04 September 10 02:03 BST (UK) »
When we learned that Agnes GAFFIGAN had joined Michael J. McCARROLL in marriage in Dundalk it had been assumed that they had made their home in Fintona where he had a public house and was a wine and spirit merchant among other endeavors.  But it has become clear that the two of them did not go directly to Fintona, and perhaps Michael had returned from San Francisco, California even before Agnes had joined him in 1912 and they got married on 29 July in Dundalk.

He had emigrated to America around 1899 and took up the grocery business with his brother Thomas on Hyde Street, around the corner from their residence on Central Avenue.  Thomas had gone there with his with, Kitty Daly from Newtownsaville.  Michael returned to Ulster around 1912, but we have no record of that return.

After their marriage the couple returned north, not to Corkhill or Fintona but to Omagh.  And we do have a record of the birth of their first child, my father Michael Joseph.  He was born 25 March 1914. And his birth record indicates that he was born on George Street in Omagh.  The family must have moved then to Fintona as all the other children were born there.

If there are any other records indicating when and where they resided in Omagh I would appreciate it if you could share them.

Thank you, Jim  ::)
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.

Offline jj.carroll

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michael McCARROLL and Agnes GAFFIGAN, from Dundalk to Omagh 1912
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 26 September 18 01:46 BST (UK) »
I am returning to these boards  :o having gone for quite a while.  Health issues, but now just wasting away with a new service dog.

On this Carroll-Gaffigan conundrum, I believe that I may have a plausible explanation.  Michael, like his brother Patrick (called The Yank, and why is a mystery to myself) had a number of trips to and from San Francisco over the years according to the then memories of the family.

A Tony had come up with an arrival at Queenstown that appeared to have been designed for the wedding day of Agnes Bridget Gaffigan of San Francisco.  The wedding was to be at the Roman Catholic Cathedral in Dundalk. 

Then Tony found another, but of 1908, reference to a landing in the port of Liverpool for a Michael Joseph McCarroll. Two things were wrong, although the dates for Mickey were correct in that he was 29 years old, they were off by a digit - making this McCarroll 39.  However, it could be that it was just a transcriber's error.  Another downside was that he was shown as an Irish national; however, our Michael had taken out citizenship before/after the Great Quake and Fire.  Having arrived in 1899 in The City, what with the wait it might have been that dual citizenship was the answer.

This, however, did not change the other factors in the "flight" and marriage of the two: Michael McCarroll and Agnes Bridget Gaffigan.

Then, it suddenly became a lot clearer.  The year 1912 had both its good and bad experiences.  Patrick was laid to rest in the Eskragh cemetery, nearly next to the family plot of the McCarrolls in 1912. This was witnessed personally.

Could it be that Mickey was there either visiting or because of the problems that were of the brother, that led to his death?  Could it be that Mickey decided to stay in Eskragh (or elsewhere around there), and assume the position of pub-master for his brother?

If this could have been like the actual happenings then he could have sent for Agnes Bridget Gaffigan.  But it leaves out a lot of other problems, like why the cathedral in Dundalk.  We do know that they went to Omagh, and stayed for at least two years - or until the birth of my father: Michael Joseph McCarroll.
Carroll, McCarroll, McCusker and McCosker from County Tyrone. Then there are Dillen for Derry, Gaffigan, McGaffigan, Crennan, and Amos.  Now adding: Leonard, Berry, and Gahagan from Strokestown, County Roscommon, also Gahigan, Hounihan, and Whonohan and another branch of Carrolls from County Cork.