Author Topic: Anna Morrisroe  (Read 9580 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Anna Morrisroe
« Reply #27 on: Friday 10 September 10 19:12 BST (UK) »
Thats a shame - you must determine the specific parish or townland from which your ancestor came  - obviously made difficult, primarily due ...... disastrous 1922 fire in the Ireland Public Record Office, which nearly obliterated civil records.

not true, but a common enough mis-understanding...

no civil BMD records were damaged in any way during the events of the civil war and they are fully intact. The records destroyed included census records, and Church of Ireland parish records. Catholic records were unharmed as these were not considered state records (Church of Ireland was..) so had not been sent to Dublin for safe keeping.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 10 September 10 19:29 BST (UK) »
Only quote from research material I may have read. Hence:-

http://genealogy.about.com/cs/ireland/a/irish_genealogy_2.htm
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 10 September 10 19:39 BST (UK) »
Index to Irish Civil BMD records is available on familysearch - see : link

This covers BMDs from the start of civil registration - 1864 for births and deaths, from 1845 for non-Catholic marriages (e.g. Church of Ireland, registry office etc), and 1864 on for all marriages. Certs can be ordered from the GRO using the index references.

Knowing the district or county can be a great help in narrowing down the search for civil records, especially with common names. For earlier details parish records are required, and to research these the essential details are the family religion, and as detailed a location as you can establish - ideally parish or townland.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Online *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 10 September 10 19:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Shane,

I am sure Seamiuse will look at the links if he has'nt already.  This has been an ongoing project for him for some considerable time and he had many pieces on forums etc.,

This thread will perhaps explain the information Seamuise would currently like - which at the moment is "live"

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=481045.0

Regards
Sandra

http://www.mayo-ireland.ie/MyoAlive/Mag0696/ABishop.htm
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 10 September 10 19:52 BST (UK) »
there's actually another thread on the same family which I posted a response to a little earlier.

Anna Morrisroe & John Broderick

Summary of details located on Anne I posted in the other thread :

Name: Anne Morrisroe
 Birth Date: 26 Sep 1874
 Birthplace: Ballaghadereen, Mayo
 Father's Name: Patrick Morrisroe
 Mother's Name: Mary Morrisroe
 Reference Number: 149

src:  familysearch extracted civil record

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 10 September 10 19:58 BST (UK) »
there's actually another thread on the same family which I posted a response to a little earlier.

Anna Morrisroe & John Broderick

Shane

That thread now locked and any replies can be posted here to avoid duplication.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 10 September 10 20:03 BST (UK) »
The closest possibility I see for John Broderick's baptism is this one :

Baptism of John Broder of Knockanassig - 20 May 1866    (from www.irishgenealogy.ie)

It could be a mistranscribed surname.. or a variation of Broderick.
Father's name is Daniel and the baptism is about a week after the date of birth you have. The parish is Listowel / RC (Kerry)

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 10 September 10 20:13 BST (UK) »
On the same website there's also a marriage of the parents for that  John Broder :

Marriage of Daniel Broder and Ellen Buckley - 28 February 1865

The records for that parish at the time are very basic, and there's no parents, and just the date, witnesses and a single residence/townland included.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline Seamiuse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Never stop searching for the genealogical truth
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 11 September 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
Just for the record... this is driving me bonkers. So many dates, discrepancies and people I'm losin it. Can't keep it all straight  lol.

There is such an age difference in between the
information provided by anna ( his wife)on the death cert. when her husband dies in 1936 .... and that of the census information. What, whoever was giving the info for the census was bonkers? in 1920, 30 and (I found the 1900 but only one child is listed (john) the information for him matches correctly but John and anna's are like 7 yrs off?

What would YOU go by, death cert information  of whats on the census?
Notice the years of immigration are very different on every census.... ouch, who's got a tylenol?  lol
Morrisroe - County Mayo and  County Roscommon
Broderick - Co. Kerry