Author Topic: Samways in dorset  (Read 15993 times)

Offline part time artist

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Samways in dorset
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 10 September 11 20:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
no idea about Doncaster although i know they have spread out more than just dorset
I'm woprking on Ancestry right now to see if i can find any links there
jane

Offline dhhound

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 10 October 11 18:44 BST (UK) »
I have a number of Samways in my family.

On my father's side from Swyre are Elizabeth b 1832 m Henry Northover, Mary b 1825 m John Northover 1849 d 1894 Newport, Monmouthshire, and Henry Samways, b 1849, m Alice Purchase Northover 1876, d 1883. His children I haven't tracked

On my mother's side from Maiden Newton is Job, b 1823 Rampisham, and his 5 children, 4 daughters 1 son. In 1901 the son Fredrick was living on Dorchester Road, Weymouth (Melcombe Regis), with his family and son Fredrick b 1897

I also have a second cousin who married a William Samways b 1882 in Southampton in 1919.

If any of this is of interest, I'd be happy to give you more details.

Offline part time artist

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Tuesday 11 October 11 22:19 BST (UK) »
hi dhhound
I dont recognise any of those names but I'll ask my cousin who has some slightly different branches to mine
thanks for the info anyway

Offline janeeidden

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 11 December 11 20:31 GMT (UK) »
my great uncle married Violet Samways born 1911 in Frome,somerset. Her father was George Robert born 1880 in Symondbury,Dorset,as was his father. Could there be a connection.?
Jane :)

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 08:39 BST (UK) »
Hi and Greetings from Tasmania... Rick Cragg
Our Samway from Bedfordshire, before that Kent and now DNA keeps bringing us back to Samways of Dorset....Samway left for the USA and Canada from Dorset when arrived in the USA they changed the surname to Sammis

Malcolm John Samway b 1927 Clacton-On-Sea Essex England
Frank Leslie Samway b1895 Westminster London
William Samway b 1844 Blunham Bedfordshire
William Samway b 1814 Potton Bedfordshire
William Samway b 1789 Brenchley Kent
Major Samway b 1752 Hollingbourne Kent
Major Samway ?.....we seriously believe this guy must be from Dorset as no information available on usual sites.

We understand when the railways arrived in Dorset many families were able to travel longer distances to work, therefore moved to other counties....
That said..
My Wife's Dad Malcolm Samway fought for England in the Navy WW 2 ..when WW 2 ended his ship was in Asia, The ship pulled over in Darwin,the Captain said if you want to stay here you can...
he and many others of the crew got off the ship in Australia and never went back home to England....I can only imagine that England was in poor shape.

So this is our guy ..not to be confused with the one below..George Ampleford
Major Samway b 1752
married 10 Jan 1780
Elizabeth Mancteleo b 1756

Elizabeth Mancktelo
Marriage: 28 MAR 1780 - Brenchley, Kent, England
Spouse: George Ampleford

One Family story was that a Samway went to the USA and came home with an American Indian girl,
I personally believe the surname Manctelo is more likely to be Huguenot originally from France..
We have much information on her, but it is Hard to believe the Christian name Major is so hard to find,there is however a [surname] Major from Dorset...cant help wondering if there is a connection
So Thankyou again...Major  is indeed our brickwall...any help Please
Kind Regards
Rick Cragg

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 14 August 19 09:39 BST (UK) »
My husband's late Aunt Margaret married twice. The first time to

Robert John Samways born abt 1917 married 1937

Was in the army and died 15th January 1938 in Poona, India (drowned)

There is a Robert John 1916 born Weymouth but unsure if it's this one as we don't know where he came from.
GEDmatch M157477

Offline RickyJack

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 16 August 19 01:00 BST (UK) »
Thankyou...There was a family rumor that a brother to Malcom John Samway went to India and died ..his name was Ernest Samway..never bothered to pursue as our direction was finding this elusive Major
I messaged the Dorset Family history Society some time back...there reply was..
I can advise that I have had a look at your Samway family in Kent and unfortunately I am unable to link them to any Dorset Samway family. It is difficult to know what generation of the family would have moved along the coast to Kent ....and went on to refer me to the Kent Archives
The Kent archive said.. apart from saying they didnt think the marriage certificate would have any more information on it that was already posted, they had most of their info on Find-my-past..when I checked FindMyPast nothing more than we already have Major b. 1752 married Elizabeth and so on..
We have Elizabeth's Family line but no parents or origin for this Major b 1752....All tips and suggestions very welcome  Thanks again Rick

Offline Laura Barry Pitman

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 13 January 20 13:39 GMT (UK) »
part time artist - those photos look so similar to my samways here in the states that its almost spooky. We are trying to hunt down a "Major" Samway who I believe probably moved away from Dorset to Kent and changed his name. Any chance I could show photos and we could maybe compare lines?

Offline jbnorris73

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 11 April 22 02:53 BST (UK) »
I have recently found information from the Long Island Genealogy website that my Sammis (maiden name) was changed as of the 1600s from the Samways surname in Dorset. My aunt traced our lineage back to John Sammis 1643 Windsor CT - 18 Jan 1693 Huntington NY, USA. His father was Richard Samwayes b. 1 Nov 1615 and married Esther Horsford or Hosford in 1642 in Windsor, CT. His parents are John Samways and Temperance Denslow who were married in Netherbury, Dorset on 6 Feb 1609. I have notes that the Samwayes (Multiple spellings) are a one county family name as of my info from 2010. I trust that this information is true as it's posted on an Early American Genealogy website. I'm very interested in the ancestry of my family and have spent years researching daily. I have found a lot of information through searches, Ancestry.com, and FamilySearch.org and I'm looking for more. I have gone through the entire Baptism, Marriage and Burials books and have printed a lot of pages of information to use in my research. I am looking to find out John Samwayes ancestors.