Author Topic: 1851 galashiels census lookup plse  (Read 3613 times)

Offline ktlloyd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
1851 galashiels census lookup plse
« on: Tuesday 05 April 05 21:24 BST (UK) »
hi dawn , was wandering if you would mind looking for some more scotts in your census.

andrew scott born abt 1818
catherine scott b 1826
isabella scott 1814
robert scott 1820
walter scott 1829

And a john scott born abt 1840

thanks kate lloyd

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1851 galashiels census lookup plse
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 April 05 17:58 BST (UK) »
Hiya,
I have had a look but i can't see them there. Was john Scott, born 1840, related to the family and also where was he born.
Dawn

Offline ktlloyd

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 09 April 05 00:06 BST (UK) »
hi thanks dawn ,
the john scott born abt 1840 is related to another scott family, and i have just realised that i shouldn't have asked for a lookup on him as i already have him in 1851,sorry abt that he's listed at ladhope 1851 living with his mother and stepfather,thomas murray and elizabeth scott.  ihaven't worked out yet whether elizabeth married another scott and had john scott son or whether he was illegimate. Elizabeth scott was the daughter of james scott land steward, and ann blyth they were also in the 1851 census. living at easter langlee from memory. are there any scott's listed in the census that where born yarrow.

Offline worth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 09 April 05 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi,

On the Galashiels 1851 census there are 4 Scotts born in Yarrow,

Agnes Scott aged 32 born Yarrow living with her husband and children

George Scott aged 28 born Yarrow living with his parents

Jane Scott aged 71 born Yarrow living with her son in law an his family

Janet scott aged 36 born Yarrow living with her parents (sister of the above George)

If you want the info on these people just let me know.

Dawn

Offline Alexandrina

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 April 05 04:53 BST (UK) »
Hi Kate,

If you have the 1851 census for Selkirk, could you please lookup a family by the name of MURRAY?

John MURRAY age about 30; born 1821-1823 in Selkirk.
married Helen MOFFAT in Selkirk -Banns Innerleithen in 1851

Helen's daughter Helen should be about 6-7 years old (from previous marriage.) Helen MOFFAT was aged about 35  in 1851.

I am trying to locate their address and also John's father James MURRAY.  John's mother Elizabeth HALL died in 1821-23 circa so James Murray probably married again.

If John & Helen are not in the 1851 census then the marriage (also 1851) probably took place later in the year, so I am wondering who John was living with prior to his marriage to Helen Moffat, and also if there were any brothers & sisters.

A son of the above couple named William Murray born 1855 in Selkirk married Elizabeth Lees born 1859. They were my GG Grandparents.

Thank you

Sandie
MURRAY NOBLE MOFFAT MACDOUGALL  LEES MCINNES  RINTOUL KENNEDY ANDERSON HALL KELSO REID BOWES STEWART LINTON GAFF LOWRIE  ELLIOTT  GRANT TURNBULL BURNETT STENHOUSE MONTGOMERY SWORD CARROLL DALGLEISH  Mostly of the Scottish Borders Selkirk & Melrose Temple Balantrodoch & Skye