Author Topic: Anna Morrisroe & John Broderick  (Read 6196 times)

Offline Seamiuse

• RootsChat Extra
  • Never stop searching for the genealogical truth
    • View Profile
Anna Morrisroe & John Broderick
« on: Tuesday 07 September 10 00:31 BST (UK) »
After rather heated discussions with the State of Ohio, Children's Services and the Catholic Social Service I acquired what I refer to as "The original six" documents in her adoption file sealed since 1933 in Columbus, Ohio.

In that file were maternity home records, baptismal record and.... a copy of her original birth certificate (which I was told at that time should have been destroyed and not been in that file as they are recreated using the adopted parents information). The representative was "one hand away" from tearing it up before I could see it before she was handed a warrant lol. 

Those six pages began what has become a long search for our roots.

Morrisroe - County Mayo and  County Roscommon
Broderick - Co. Kerry

Offline Seamiuse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Anna Morrisroe & John Broderick
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 00:32 BST (UK) »
Armed with the "Original Six" I was lucky to find that her birth mother and family had resided just outside my hometown of Cleveland in Willoughby, Ohio. A wealth of information was gathered as the family had lived there for more than 40 years. Birth cert's, Death cert's, medical information, grade cards, pictures galore and military information. Through this we met with relatives previously unknown who resided in the Michigan area and gained even more information, pictures and family lore.

About this time I petitioned (through 2 congressman and a senator) the US Army for the Bronze and Silver Stars awarded to two of my great uncles who had never received them. I was successful. In a Veterans Day ceremony (the first ever in the City of Willoughby) organized by myself with help from my fellow members of the Ancient Order of Hibernians the medals were presented to our family. Cpl John Frances Broderick (WWI and II) and Pvt. Renaldo James Broderick (WWII) received their much deserved accommodations. (see Cleveland Plain Dealer-Lake County section, 11 November 1995).

Now, I knew much information about the family while in Willoughby and began to go further back. Reaching many a dead end or, not having the time or ability to ascertain records unlike today combined with "life in general" my quest stalled, until recently.  ;D

Although I have always leaned toward my mothers side of the family (Morrisroe) I also search for information on my GGrandfathers side (Broderick, Co. Kerry). Frankly, back then I found it easier to trace Morrisroe's as the name is rather distinct to the area's of Ballaghadereen, Roscommon and Charlestown Mayo.
Broderick - Co. Kerry

Offline Seamiuse

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 September 10 00:35 BST (UK) »
Now to the present - Here's what I know

My mother - Born Loretta Ann Broderick- adopted name Jane Newkirk
born 3-7-33 Willoughby, Ohio, died 21 December 1999 University Heights, Ohio.

Loretta/Jane's Father was; John W. Adams
bd unknown
death:suicide-9-2-32
occupation: City Chemist is listed on the maternity home record and notes indicate suicide "Due to having lost his job and despondent that she would not marry him" and died before Loretta (my mother) was born.

Birth cert of Loretta lists his occ. as "laborer-Rubber Factory" (coincidentally most of Loretta's mothers brothers all worked at the Ohio Rubber Factory). His age at the time of Loretta's birth is listed as 22. (but wasn't he dead already? lol <shrug>)

Loretta/Jane's Mother was: Katherine Lauretta Broderick
b. 22 Oct 1909 Willoughby, Ohio
d. 3 Feb 1970 Willoughby, Ohio

Katherine Lauretta Broderick (later married Walter Adelbert Perkins)
Parents were:

John (some records indicate middle initial as "F" one shows "P") Broderick
b. 13 May 1866 Believed to be in Co. Kerry (per several gov't doc's)
d. 10 Feb 1936
Immigration:  1884  Naturalized 1893 (per several census)
Said to have come to America alone at age 12

Occupation- NY Central Railroad for more than 45yrs. Member of the Pioneer Railway Association Assoc and the Railroad Signalmen.
Father -Daniel
Mother- unknown to date

and
Anna Mary Morrisroe
b. 26 Sept 1874
d. 7 Feb 1948
Immigration:  1889  Naturalized 1893 (per several census)
said to have travelled to America at age 16 alone

Birthplace - many gov't/official doc's show her birthplace  as Co. Roscommon (her children were informants) although she is the informant on her son John Frances's death cert. and lists her place of birth Co. Mayo.) This COULD be that the line of the county changed in the 1800's moving her town of birth across the line and her kids didn't know better?

Father- Patrick Morrisroe
Mother - unknown to date

her siblings - It is family lore that she had only one sibling, a brother (name unknown to date) and that she was "of close relation to Bishop Patrick Morrisroe" (ref. to the bishop were found in correspondence from her to him circa 1915) although thanks to

Bishop Flynn of Achonry Ireland we know for sure she was not Bishop Morrisroe's sister.

Children of John Broderick and Anna Mary Morrisroe;
Edwin- born NY
Daniel -born NY
John Frances -born NY
Frances -born Ohio
Helen -born Ohio
Katherine -born Ohio
Margaret -born Ohio
Renaldo -born Ohio

I've been quite long winded (my apologies) but I feel as much information as I could provide may be of help to someone who may cross our tree, or perhaps be of assistance would be helpful.

The basic Question is; Does anyone know anything about John "P" or "F" Broderick in Co. Kerry (see above for particulars), or backwards from Willoughby Ohio USA to New York?

or

Anna MorrisRoe in Co's Mayo or Roscommon (see above for particulars). In her own pen Anna writes frequently about Ballaghadereen.

Any assistance is most appreciated and most welcome. Good Karma will come your way.

All th'best from the Space Coast of Florida, USA!
Broderick - Co. Kerry

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 September 10 19:04 BST (UK) »

Anna Mary Morrisroe
b. 26 Sept 1874
d. 7 Feb 1948
Immigration:  1889  Naturalized 1893 (per several census)
said to have travelled to America at age 16 alone

Birthplace - many gov't/official doc's show her birthplace  as Co. Roscommon (her children were informants) although she is the informant on her son John Frances's death cert. and lists her place of birth Co. Mayo.) This COULD be that the line of the county changed in the 1800's moving her town of birth across the line and her kids didn't know better?

Father- Patrick Morrisroe
Mother - unknown to date
Anna MorrisRoe in Co's Mayo or Roscommon (see above for particulars). In her own pen Anna writes frequently about Ballaghadereen.

I dont know if you've seen this extracted record for a birth of an Anne Morrisroe on the date mentioned above :

Name: Anne Morrisroe
 Birth Date: 26 Sep 1874
 Birthplace: Ballaghadereen, Mayo
 Father's Name: Patrick Morrisroe
 Mother's Name: Mary Morrisroe
 Reference Number: 149

The reference can be used to lookup the full civil references which yu can use to order a birth which will give more details. These are the corresponding references (the register page number ref. matches) :

Name: Anne Morrisroe
 Registration District: Castlereagh
 Event Type: Birth
 Registration Quarter and Year: 1874
 volume : 14 / page : 149

Castlereagh is the registration district and this covers areas in both counties Mayo and Roscommon. Ballaghderreen town is in Co. Mayo but quite close (c 5km) to the border with Co. Mayo. The location  given on the extracted record above may the a sub-registration district, rather than the town of the same name.

see:
 Introduction to Irish Records
 Ordering Certs from GRO Roscommon
 Details included on a Birth Cert

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 September 10 19:57 BST (UK) »
To avoid any more duplication this thread now locked. Please post any furth replies on US board-
www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,480559.0.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!