Author Topic: John Nally b 1813 Irishtown, convict to Aust. 1837  (Read 10947 times)

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Nally b 1813 Irishtown, convict to Aust. 1837
« on: Tuesday 07 September 10 11:19 BST (UK) »
Hello All,

John Nally was tried on 14 Oct 1836 for aggravated assault and transported to NSW aboard the "Heber" the following year. These details are from the Irish Transportation database.

His birth details were shown as 1813, in Irishtown, Westmeath.
I believe there is either an Irishtown in the parish of Mullingar and another in the parish of Rathconrath, or one Irishtown shared by the 2 parishes. 
Ballinacarrick (sic) is also mentioned. Is this likely to be Ballynacarrig/y or Ballynacarrow?

I had his parents' names as possibly John Nally & Jane, but don't know what that source was. He married Co Longford born Catherine Docherty/Doherty/Dougherty in East Maitland, NSW in August 1845, prospered & had 10 chn, Jane, Catherine, Mary, John Joseph, Margaret, Ann, Ellen, Bridget, Marcella & Elizabeth.

I found a Catherine Nally & a Thomas Nally in Irishtown in Griffiths valuation-could they be related to my gtgtgtgfr John?

I believe the Nallys are numerous in Westmeath,  ;D  but if anyone could add any further info about John's family & circumstances, that would be very much appreciated!

Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline minnie1703

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: John Nally b 1813 Irishtown, convict to Aust. 1837
« Reply #1 on: Monday 23 May 11 19:41 BST (UK) »
hi i am doing my partners side of the family tree and i have 3 marcella nally's in my tree...the oldest was married to thomas nally and had a son called james(dont know if there is more) he was born 1787 and died 1867....alot of the nally moved to argentina....james had a daughter called marcella also....i am sure qwe are related in some way:)x hope this helps

Offline Jack2227

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 23 May 11 22:58 BST (UK) »
Might be related.

Headstone in Tyrrellspass cemetery

James Nally Knockmore, Tyrrellspass
8/6/1987 (74)
----------
Jack

Offline annmck

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 11:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Minnie!

I was v. interested to read your reply, (Marcellas galore!) & even more so to hear of Patrick & Catherine & their son James in your other thread.
My John was born abt 6 years before Patrick, in Irishtown/Ballinacarrigy, and was transported 2 years before Patrick & Catherine's marriage.

How likely is it that they were related? I wonder if John may have been an older brother or cousin to your Patrick. Do you know if he, or indeed if James, had any siblings?

John had 9 daughters, Jane, Catherine, Mary, Margaret, Ann, Ellen, Bridget,  Marcella & Elizabeth, & 1 son, John Joseph.
It would be interesting to see if any of the other girl's names crop up with your lot-though I guess they're pretty common anyway (I bear 2 of them!!)
Cheers
Devir/Dever/Diver, O'Donnell, Sweeney, Doherty/Dogherty/Docherty( DON), Flanagan (Newry, DOW), Hennessy (Ballybunion, KER), Nally (Ballinacarrick,WEM) Meer (Paradise, Ballynagard, CLA) McKinnon, McLeod, Beaton, McLennan, (Skye, inc. Raasay) Christie (Dunblane & Glasgow) Wilson, Swan, Orr, (Airdrie)  Marshall (Burnley LAN/Stockport CHS) Burcham, Chamberlain, Crisp, Cone, Hewitt, Everard, Williamson, Jermy, Wade (NFK/SFK) Bell (CUL) Baglee & var. (DUR)

Offline Pastmagic

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Levington House, Mullingar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 May 11 12:36 BST (UK) »
There are two different  townlands called Irishtown in Westmeath:

Townland Acres Barony                                     Civil parish           Poor Law Unoin

Irishtown   767   Rathconrath                             Rathconrath         Mullingar
Irishtown   785   Moyashel and Magheradernon     Mullingar         Mullingar

See irish resources link
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/board,385.0.html

To understand these terms, you need to know about them!

free on line records for general Nally interest in Ballynacargy/Ballynacarrigy

http://ancestorfind.net/docs/Marriages%20Sonne.pdf
http://ancestorfind.net/docs/Ballynacargy_INDEX_A_to_Z.pdf

First you have to check which Irishtown you are looking for. Can you clarify the reference to Ballinacarrigy and the source for it?. Nally occurs very frequently in both townlands.
It is in the Rathconrath one.

For the Nallys who went from Westmeath to Argentina see:

http://www.irlandeses.org/settlers.htm

For maps of townlands, lists of available parish records etc see

http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/index.htm

You probably know that the only convict sailing of the Heber in 1837 was this one:
Heber               arrived     Sidney      12 07 1837  NSW,   left  16 03 1837  Dublin    sailed for   118  days  243 males embarked,       217 arrived Master    Jn Campbell    Doctor    Alex Neill.

Surviving records:

http://www.records.nsw.gov.au/state-archives/guides-and-finding-aids/nrs-lists/nrs1155#h

Heber 1837   p.81   List of Military Convicts; Chief Justice's Warrants for Military Convicts (copies); Lists of sons of convicts, embarked as free settlers; and Stores received on board

Sorry if you have this info already, just in case anyone else is trying to find out about this ship.

Offline albertosvaglia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 May 11 17:44 BST (UK) »
I´m Alberto Savaglia from Argentina and I descend from Bryan Nally (1827-1900) He was son of James and grandson of Thomas you said. I had a lot of information about Nallys and trying to put all together into a family tree. Please contact me.

Offline albertosvaglia

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 29 May 11 02:56 BST (UK) »
I´m Alberto Savaglia from Argentina and I descend from Bryan Nally (1827-1900) He was son of James and grandson of Thomas you said. I have a lot of information about Nallys and trying to put all together into a family tree. Please contact me

Offline minnie1703

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 29 May 11 03:25 BST (UK) »
hi alberto, we recently just got in contact.....i was wondering if you have a family tree that is fully viewable as it would help me make alot more sense of the information available....mary lochrie thanx

Offline atoz184

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 14 January 19 12:28 GMT (UK) »
I have an ancestor Catherine Nally (nee Dalton) (circa 1820) from Westmeath Ireland. Records have her as being married to a Bryon? Nally and had 4 children with him before she was convicted of sheep stealing and transported to Australia on the Midlothian in 1852. please see her information on the below website.
http://www.foundersandsurvivors.org/pubsearch/convict/chain/ai52223

I also am having trouble finding any information about the Nally family, if you have any luck can you let me know, if I have any luck I will contact you

Thank you

Jeff