Author Topic: The disappearing Levetts  (Read 5845 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
The disappearing Levetts
« on: Wednesday 08 September 10 17:01 BST (UK) »
Can any one find these people after 1851?

Ann Groom married James Levett on the 1st November 1842 in Tunstall Suffolk.

In 1851 they are in Norwich  - HO107/1814/301/1 together with Ann's mother Sarah Groom. Both give their POB as Tunstall. James's occupation is bricklayer.

Their daughter Menar Esther is born in 1851 and after that James and Ann vanish. Menar appears in the 1861 in Tunstall with her grandmother, Sarah Groom, and in 1871 as a servant also in Tunstall. She marries there in 1881 and gives her father as James Levett, bricklayer. It doesn't say deceased, but I know that doesn't mean anything.

I can't find James and Ann in any census or death records. Can anyone else spot them?

There is another James and Ann Levett in Suffolk, but this James gives his POB as Bredfield and Ann as Sudbourn. I know my Ann was born in Tunstall as I have the information from the parish records.

Thanks

Jan

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
Re: The disappearing Levetts
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 September 10 10:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

According to Google, Sudbourn is only about 4 miles from Tunstall.  Do you mean the "other" James and Ann you found are on a later census than 1851?  If so, my guess is that this couple is yours.  Tunstall, Sudbourn and Bredfield all have a postal address of Woodbridge, so I would think that in the 1800s, the area might have been Tunstall, or that is just what they said.

Lizzie

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 September 10 11:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the idea, Lizzie

I've just double checked and the "other" James and Ann Levett are on the 1851 census in Sudbourn, transcribed as Lovell. He is a blacksmith and remains so on later censuses, so definitely a different couple.

My James and Ann seem to disappear completely.  ::)

Jan

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 September 10 11:55 BST (UK) »
Oh well, the idea was good at the time. ::) ::)

As their little girl was with her gran in 1861, either they had both died, or her father had died and mother re-married and you haven't got her new name, or her father had re-married and you don't know his new wife's name, or both were working away.

Lizzie

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 September 10 12:00 BST (UK) »
As their little girl was with her gran in 1861, either they had both died, or her father had died and mother re-married and you haven't got her new name, or her father had re-married and you don't know his new wife's name, or both were working away.

Lizzie

Got to be one of these hasn't it?  ;D However I can't find a death for either of them or either in any later censuses. Only other option I suppose is that they emigrated and left Menar behind.

Jan

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 September 10 12:22 BST (UK) »
Jan

There is a James Lovett a bricklayer, supposedly born in Deopham about 1817, on the 1861 census (ref RG09 piece 1222 folio 94) with a wife called Rebecca and 5 children, aged 18, 16, 14, 13 and 7.  They all have the Lovett name, but maybe the older ones are Rebecca's children from a previous marriage.  I can't fine Rebecca Lovett and children on the 1851 census.  I can't find a marriage of a James Levett (Lovett) to a Rebecca either, although maybe they weren't married.  There is a marriage of a James Lovett in 1857 in Plomesgate, Suffolk, but there aren't any female names listed .  According to FreeBMD, Plomesgate covers Tunstall.

There is a death of an Ann Lovett in Norwich in December 1856, ref 4b 73.  Could this be your Ann?  You said James and Ann were living in Norwich in 1851.  Have you got their daughter's birth certificate?  What address does that give?

Lizzie

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 September 10 12:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lizzie

That gives me something to work on. The death looks promising as that would explain why Menar was with her grandmother in 1861.

I haven't got any certificates for this family yet as Ann was my gx2 grandfather's sister, but I think I now need to. Perhaps if I get Ann's death that will confirm if her husband was James.

Thanks for your help.

Jan

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 September 10 12:49 BST (UK) »
Bother - just found a marriage of a James Lovett in 1842 in St Faiths which is Norfolk. This would fit with the eldest child being 18 in 1861. On the same page is a Rebecca Bacon.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 September 10 13:01 BST (UK) »
Hi both  :)

There's this possible death as well:

James Levett - Jun 1860 - Plomesgate 4a 418

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost