Author Topic: smith/smyth/mctaggart genealogy  (Read 4301 times)

Offline wjsmyth

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
smith/smyth/mctaggart genealogy
« on: Wednesday 06 April 05 00:17 BST (UK) »
i am looking for info on malcolm smith/smyth father peter smith/smyth malcolm was born in campbeltown in 1861 he had brothers john smith.and twins edward and charles it is said he also had a sister any one know this family i would be very pleased to hear from them.it has took me almost 2 years to find them.been searching in the wrong country thought because malcolm was married in ireland he was irish that was my big mistake never take anything for granted well good luck to all you searchers  and best wishes john smyth
researching smyth.savage. mccoy.mccutcheon.king.
these are the names i am most intrested in some others are holland .rooney.and fisher with county down ireland connections

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: smith/smyth/mctaggart genealogy
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 May 05 08:13 BST (UK) »
John,

I have just answered you as below on another list.  But I will repeat it here in case anyone else is interested in the family.

Another person on that forum had given you excellent advice about ScotlandsPeople at:
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

I have added:
"However, have you looked at the IGI (free!!) on:
http://www.familysearch.org

If you search the IGI for a Malcolm SMITH, father Peter SMITH, b Argyll ca 1861, there is only the one.

Malcolm SMITH b 11 May 1861, Campbeltown Argyll, parents Peter SMITH and Betsy McTAGGART.

Click on that Campbeltown batch number and enter Peter SMITH in the father's name boxes - there are four other children with father Peter SMITH in that batch.
*John SMITH b 27 Aug 1857, parents Peter SMITH and Elizabeth MC TAGGART
*Twins Charles and Edward SMITH b 8 Nov 1864, parents Peter SMITH and Elizabeth MCTAGGART

There is also the following:
*Flora SMITH b 31 May 1859, parents Peter SMITH and Elizabeth TURNER - I wonder whether Elizabeth's surname could be a transcription error? There are no other births to a mother named Elizabeth TURNER in the batch, and there is no marriage of a Peter SMITH to an Elizabeth TURNER, nor births to a Peter SMITH and an Elizabeth TURNER in the IGI in the British Isles around that time.

The marriage of Peter SMITH and Elizabeth/Betsy is also in the IGI.
Peter SMITH m Betsey MCTAGGART, 25 Nov 1856, in Campbeltown.

You may well be able to find the death of Elizabeth/Bets(e)y on ScotlandsPeople as married women are indexed under both their married and (if known) maiden names - MCTAGGART a lot easier to search for than SMITH! With luck, her death cert will list the names of her parents and this will take you further back ..."

And then I added another thought.

"If you have now found more information (censuses and death certs) about the parents and birthplaces of John and Elizabeth/Bets(e)y, you might be able to find them in the 1841 Argyllshire census much of which is online at FreeCEN at:
http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl

There is a Betsey MCTAGGART, age 15 (ages were rounded down so this might mean anything from 15 to 19) in Campbeltown - this might be yours but equally well might not. MCTAGGART (less often MACTAGGART) is not an uncommon name in Argyll.

There are a few Peter SMITHs - though none in Campbeltown."

Good luck,

JAP

Offline wjsmyth

• I am sorry but my email address is no longer working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: smith/smyth/mctaggart genealogy
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 May 05 00:09 BST (UK) »
jap i hope you see my reply i am over whelmed with the success of my postings.really i did not think i would get very much but some of the readers of these postings.have been so helpfull.i can only say a BIGthank you to all of you may god bless you all,and keep you safe and anyone who reads this keep on helping
 you have made an old man very happy  thank you  best wishes john smyth
researching smyth.savage. mccoy.mccutcheon.king.
these are the names i am most intrested in some others are holland .rooney.and fisher with county down ireland connections