Author Topic: doherty athenry  (Read 10824 times)

Offline Mayomom

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: doherty athenry
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 January 15 06:22 GMT (UK) »
With regards to the Mary Doherty you are looking for, do you know if any of this information fits in with what you have? Thanks

Offline Gorman lough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 May 16 12:38 BST (UK) »
Wonder if this thread is still active?? I am also related to the Dohertys of Athenry. My father was Bernard Doherty born 31 August 1914. His father was Martin Doherty and Martin's wife was Mary Mullins. The family farm was in Cartymore, Turloughmore, Athenry. I was told by my father that his father, Martin, had five uncles (or brothers, not sure) who emigrated to America. There is also a Donegal connection, but I have no details. Martin Doherty and Mary Mullins are buried in the cemetery in Athenry.

Offline Monivea

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 May 16 19:41 BST (UK) »
Hello haven't had much time at this in the last few years.  Yes its the same family my grandfather was Bernards brother peter. Have found it hard to find information on this line

Offline Gorman lough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 May 16 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Monivea. I think that would make you my second cousin. By any chance do you know my grandfather's brothers names? I think one was called Edward who came back from America to buy a farm in Carthymore with Martin in the 1840s. There were four other brothers who stayed in America. I think they had connections with Boston and Long Island. Did your family ever hear of a Donegal connection? My father said we were originally from Donegal but not sure where.

Offline smartie-pants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 28 February 17 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm wondering if anyone is still here! My grandfather James was the last of the Doherty's living on the farm in Cartymore. He had 3 daughters who all married so the Doherty name has dwindled! I'm looking for information on his father Martin, my mom is convinced he emigrated to America and returned to buy the farm, does anyone have information on this? I recently met relatives from Boston and NY, there grandfather was Edward who remained in the states so I don't think he bought the farm. 

Offline Gorman lough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 03 March 17 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi, my name is Theresa Doherty. My grandfather was Martin Doherty, James Doherty was my uncle. My father was Bernard Doherty, James Doherty's brother. What your mother said I think was true. Martin came home for sure and bought the farm in Cartymore. I think Edward came home with Martin, but returned to the states. Martin stayed and married Mary Morrisey from Roscommon. They had 13 children as far as I know. I took note of most of the childrens names. Martin and Mary are buried in the graveyard in Athenry with your grandfather. The farmhouse is still there and some relatives live in and around Athenry. I would love to know the history of your grandfather and his 4 brothers who left Ireland just after the famine. I often think of them and how they got on in the states. It is lovely to know that you are a decedent of those brave men.

Offline smartie-pants

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 03 March 17 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Teresa, I think I met you at my aunts house  😯 She lives on the farm by the old house. I don't know anything of their history but I'm trying to find out. I couldn't even tell you how many brothers or sisters my grandfather had. Unfortunately I never got to meet him, he passed away in the 70's, I came along 20 years later. I know one our relatives has done the family tree and im doing my level best to find it on the internet. It's amazing we have cousins we don't even know about 😯

Offline Gorman lough

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 16 March 17 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi there, yes I remember you now! I had thought you were a relative from the U.S.! Its great that you have an interest. If you find any information please post it here. I would love to trace some of the relatives in the States.

Offline Mayomom

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 15 September 17 18:21 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if any of you did the Ancestry DNA test? I really believe there may be some connection. I am trying to see if John Doherty, Patrick Doherty (died 1900), Charles Doherty or Anne Doherty all listed as children of a Mary Doherty nee: unknown is known to any of you? Mary Doherty and her husband could have had more children also that I am unaware of. Mary lived with John her son during the 1901 census and John is listed as si glue on the 1911 census. I can't seem to find out where any of them are buried in Athenry. I know her son Patrick that died had three sons and a daughter.