Author Topic: Obtaining certificates for overseas births,deaths & marriages  (Read 2449 times)

Offline Francesanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Archibald Gilchrist - My Grandfather
    • View Profile
Obtaining certificates for overseas births,deaths & marriages
« on: Wednesday 08 September 10 23:44 BST (UK) »
My Great Granddad spent a large part of his military life based in India with both his wives (he was widowed out there) and children. Is it possible to obtain certificates for marriages,births & deaths now that I've got dates and names. Not sure how to go about applying and to whom. So overjoyed at finally finding out their names etc :). but not sure where to go next.  Can anyone help me? many thanks in advance for any help and advice.
Foxall - Fenton, Staffs.
Gilchrist - St.John Canada - Paddington,London
Grubb - Thanet, Kent

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Obtaining certificates for overseas births,deaths & marriages
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 September 10 09:09 BST (UK) »
hi francesanne
if you want to post the details we may be able to look up the info here , also it might be worth while posting this on the armed forces section as well
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 September 10 13:44 BST (UK) »
Depending on the time frame, a lot of b,m,d ex-pat Anglican records for India are held at the British Library.

http://www.bl.uk/reshelp/findhelpregion/asia/india/indiaofficerecordsfamilyhistory/familyresearch.html

They charge £18 for a copy cert

Dawn

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Francesanne

• RootsChat Extra
  • Archibald Gilchrist - My Grandfather
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 September 10 15:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you both so much for your advice & suggestions. I will certainly give the British Library a go. Certificates a little expensive but worth every penny if I can discover some more facts regarding Great Granddads 1st wife. I've discovered a lot of previously unknown information from FAMILY SEARCH India Deaths & Burials/Births & Baptisms/Marriages.

I'm trying to learn more about JANE GILCHRIST born 1849, died Poonamalle,Madras on 29th April 1886. Believe she was Irish but trying to obtain her maiden name & where/when she married JAMES GILCHRIST.

Family Search has provided me with much information on the children of his 1st marriage, which I never expected to learn. Feel like the jigsaw is gradually being completed. Very excited to learn all these new facts.

Once again, sincere thanks for help.
Foxall - Fenton, Staffs.
Gilchrist - St.John Canada - Paddington,London
Grubb - Thanet, Kent

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 September 10 16:42 BST (UK) »
hi francesanne
can you give us more info on gt grandpa not much to go on at moment where he was born etc , it might even be worth posting on the armed forces section as well keep 2 threads running
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 September 10 20:48 BST (UK) »
I've had a look at your profile and seen where you are.

May I suggest you consider joining the British Library, it doesn't cost but you do need to have a valid readers ticket (so passport, driving licence, utility bill)

You can then visit the Reading room and see the entries in the registers for yourself on microfilm and print them yourself for a modest cost rather than spend £18 on an 'official' transcription with the same information.

Do have a look at the BL site to work out in advance which presidency you need, there are 3 to chose from, and there are 3 sets of registers for each.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline gortonboy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gorton
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 September 10 22:13 BST (UK) »
 Jane McCully, and they married at Comber, County Down, on 17 January 1871...after jane died,,he remarried alice maud grubb in madras 18th april 1889
MCHUGH {mayo/manchester}   OHora,MCHALE{mayo/manchester /chicago}  KENNY{Manchester}   TIMPERLEY{wilmslow-bollin fee,Manchester} SMITH{manchester}  LEE{Colne,manchester,Cheshire} VENABLES {Styal.Cheshire} PAYTON {Staffs/Manchester}McCARTHY{TIPPERARY/MANCHESTER}  EAMES/AMS/HEAMES/HAMES/AYMES {Wilmslow/Manchester} Eames/Aymes  {Ireland/Manchester/Cheshire
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk