Author Topic: Suffolk Ag Labs move to NE mines-how did they do it?  (Read 11258 times)

Offline stonechat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Suffolk Ag Labs move to NE mines-how did they do it?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 16 September 10 21:44 BST (UK) »
In the Yorkshire coalfield where I lived for over 40 years there seemed to be little influx of displaced agricultural workers, most of the migration seems to have been of people who followed the mining industry from Cornwall, Somerset, Staffordshire  Wales etc. There is one case of a village named Wales nr Rotherham where the story I heard was that the miners would not leave Wales until their new village was so named!

Many of my Cheshire miners moved to Yorkshire with the work
Douglas, Varnden, Joy(i)ce Surrey, Clarke Northants/Hunts, Pullen Worcs/Herefords, Holmes Birmingham/USA/Canada/Australia, Jackson Cheshire/Yorkshire, Lomas Cheshire, Lee Yorkshire, Cocks Lancashire, Leah Cheshire, Cook Yorkshire, Catlow Lancashire
See my website http://www.cotswan.com

Offline cuthie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 16 September 10 21:49 BST (UK) »
Hope (s)he makes it. Surprised there has been no national publicity that I have seen.
Hi Redroger - there was an article on ITV news channel about this cyclist quite a few weeks ago, I think probably end July/beginning of August but can't be sure.  I did think what an arduous task on a bicycle, particularly a penny farthing.  However, I haven't noticed any other news item since the first one.
Cuthie

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 16 September 10 22:13 BST (UK) »
Stonechat: Thanks for that, wasn't aware.
Cuthie: Hope the bike is still going strong, at least I think they have solid tyres so no punctures!
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)