Author Topic: Jackson/Hewitson  (Read 3730 times)

Offline Bullamore

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jackson/Hewitson
« on: Thursday 09 September 10 19:42 BST (UK) »
Hello there,
I am looking for any information on Nancy Jackson bn 1839 Haile, Cumberland, England and her  husband James Hewetson bn 25 Dec 1836, Bromfield, Cumberland, England.
I believe Nancy and James Hewitson moved to Guelph about 1863 and had eight children.
I am hoping that someone may be able to help?
With Kind Regards
Bullamore

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jackson/Hewitson
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 September 10 20:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Bullamore

I have found the death registration for a James Hewittson, age 42, farmer, born Cumberland, England, Church of England.  He died on September 19, 1879 in the County of Wellington, Division of the Township of Guelph.  He had been kicked in the abdomen by a horse.  Dr. Howitt signed as the physician and the informant.

The 1871 Canada Census, Wellington South, Guelph lists the following:
James Hewitson, 34, born England, C of E, Farmer
Nancy Hewitson, 33, born England
Hannah Hewitson, 12, born England
Daniel Hewitson, 8, born England
Elizabeth Hewitson, 5, born Ontario
Margaret Hewitson, 5, born Ontario
Jackson Hewitson, 5 months, born Ontario

I'll see if I can find anything else.

Susan

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 September 10 20:30 BST (UK) »
There are 4 birth registrations for children of James Hewittson and Nancy Jackson in the County of Wellington.

Edward Jackson Hewitson b. 23 Nov 1870
Isaac James Hewittson b. Feb 23, 1873
Sarah Ellen Hewittson b. Sep 20, 1875 (James was a tenant on Lot 14 & 15 Dir A Church of England Glade(?))
Nancy Mary Hewittson b. Feb 24, 1878 (James was tenant on church of England Glade(?)

Perhaps someone else can look and see if they can decipher where he was tenant.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 09 September 10 20:32 BST (UK) »
A 2nd marriage for Edward Jackson Hewitson on March 10, 1908 Guelph.  Widower, farmer, b. Guelph Twsp, Wellington County, s/o James Hewitson and Nancy M. Jackson to
Mary Victoria House, 29, b. Pilkington Twsp, d/o Geo House and Henrietta Thacker.

Debbie

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 09 September 10 20:34 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

You may want to search the following site.  The Canada Census returns for 1871, 1881 and 1891 are listed.
http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#p=allCollections&r=0

You can search the next site for 1901, 1906 (Western provinces only) and 1911 Canada Census.
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/index.html

I did notice that in the 1881 Census, Margaret Hewetson, age 13 was living with a George Jackson family in Guelph.  The household included an Elizabeth Jackson, age 75, born England so perhaps Nancy's family emigrated to Canada also.

Cheers,
Susan

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 09 September 10 21:24 BST (UK) »
Some names to look for in census
Daniel Hewitson, 25, b. Cumberland Eng., bachelor, farmer, s/o James and Marsey Hewitson, married March 28, 1888 Eramosa Twsp, Wellington County to
Bessie Bathgate, 23, d/o Peter and Elizabeth Bathgate, b. Eramosa Twsp

birth registrations for James Wilbur Hewitson b. Aug 25, 1889 and Stanley Bathgate Hewitson b. Aug 5, 1896 - both in Wellington County with parents Daniel Hewitson and Elizabeth Bathgate.

Marriage of James Wilbert Hewitson of RR #3 Rockwood, Ont. on Feb 28, 1923 at Guelph, Wellington to Jennie Irene Glennie, 33, b. Winterbourne, Ont. d/o William and Elizabeth Glennie.
Wit:  brother Stanley

Marriage of Stanley Bathgate Hewitson, 29 b. Nicol Twsp, of Lot 3 con 10 Nichol Twsp, farmer, on Jan 8, 1926 to Mary Emlyn Boys, 24, b. ERamosa Twsp, d/o George Albert Boys and Bertha Bott.

Debbie

Offline susano

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 09 September 10 21:35 BST (UK) »
I also noticed on the 1881 Census that a young Sarah Hewetson, age 5, is living in the household of a Walter Brydon in District of Wellington, Township of Guelph.

I suspect that Nancy Jackson Hewetson may have died sometime after Nancy Mary's birth in 1878 and before the 1881 Census but I haven't been able to find any record of her death.  I haven't been able to locate her on the 1881 Census either.

If you have access to a library with Ancestry, it may be worth your while to spend some time searching for Hewetson/Hewittson/Hewitson entries.  There appear to be a lot of them....possibly not all related.

Susan

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 09 September 10 23:29 BST (UK) »
Hannah Hewitson, b. 1859 Eng., married John Brydon b. 1854, s/o Robert Brydon and Helen Elliott
Mar 24 1880 and had
Nancy Bertha b. Jan 4, 1885 Proton Twp Grey county
Mary Elizabeth b. March 5, 1885 Guelph, Wellington County
Helen Douglas b. Jan 1, 1881 Proton Twp Grey County
Edna Jane b. Sep 11, 1893 Guelph, Wellington County

Also a marriage record for Cassie Christianna Brydon, d/o Hannah Hewitson and John Brydon who at 24 married 24 year old Ernest Frederick McGee on Oct 28, 1915 at Guelph.

Mary Bertha, 27 married Chas Wm Plester, 24 year old farmer on Jan 12, 1910 Erasmus Twp Wellington County.  (not sure which daughter this is as the names seem mixed up)

Nillie Brydon, 19, married Marcus B. Bolls, 28, Feb 20, 1900 Guelph.

Debbie

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 09 September 10 23:31 BST (UK) »
Margaret J. Hewittson of Hespeler, 21, b. 1867 Guelph, d/o James Hewittson and Nancy Jackson married Oct 10, 1888 at Hespeler, Waterloo County to
Joseph W. Hannan of Hespeler, b. 1868 England s/o alford Hannan and Louiza Knight.

Debbie