Author Topic: O'Fallon's of Roscommon  (Read 28757 times)

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: O'Fallon's of Roscommon
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 October 10 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hello again,

I'm a bit confused here - I don't see the boys with the aunt and uncle in 1851  :-\

In 1861 there is another sister with Maria- Margaret Keogh plus Charlotte and husband - is that the right family?

The families are presumably Protestant and from what I saw elsewhere- are they established - so would not have perhaps escaped the famine through poverty?
That's why I wondered if there was a will or family papers.
The parents may have just died and there is no record of their graves.
Are you sure of the townland/parish where they lived?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alecjack

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 18 October 10 12:26 BST (UK) »
Hi heywood
Thanks for your prompt reply.
I feel sure that John Wiiliam jnr emigrated to Canada/USA at the same time as girls went to London, an American contact i have believes he was only 16 when he went.
Mathew Redmond we believe went to Liverpool and was taken in by another relative, and then spent the rest of his life there.
Yes you have the right family Alicia married a John Keogh in 1859 in Hackney.
I don't think they were Protestant as my GGranmother is buried in Brighton in the Catholic section of the graveyard, however her husband was quite well off and much older than her and almost certainly Protestant, my Grandfather their son was Protestant and so was my Mother, so i think the money carried the day as far a religion was concerned.
Have been unable to find any papers and my visit to Roscommon History Centre revealed nothing, thats what makes it so interesting.
No regards townland/parish all i have has come from Charlotte's marriage and death cert. and the USA contact re. John William and marriage and death certs. for Mathew Redmond. Alicia after her marriage to John Keogh emigrated to USA and died Old Forge Lackawanna Pennsylvania abt October 1876.
Regards alecjack

Offline WILLIAM MCNALLY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 October 10 13:14 BST (UK) »
wow so we are related  yes belmont rd rings a bell , i have got up to mathew redmond and did know his wife maiden name , love to chat more if u have msn , where in liverpool are u ? iam in childwall , thanks for ur reply
IAM WILLIAM ANTHONY MCNALLY MY NAMES IAM SEARCHING FOR ARE , MCNALLY , O'FALLON , MULHALL AND KINSELLA

FATHER WILLIAM MATHEW MCNALLY  ,  HIS FATHER THOMAS MCNALLY BORN ABT 1909 AND WENT TO AUSTRALIA AROUND LATE 40S ,  HIS FATHER WAS JOHN PATRICK MCNALLY  ALL FROM LIVERPOOL AREA AS FAR AS I KNOW
MY FATHER MUM WAS ELSIE VERONICA O;FALLON , AND HER FATHER WAS WILIIAM REDMOND O'FALLON , AND HIS FATER WAS MATHEW REDMOND O'FALLON  WILLIAM REDMOND WAS BORN 1872 .

Offline WILLIAM MCNALLY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 October 10 13:29 BST (UK) »
i have the marriage certicate of william remond ofallon  who married ada mary mcilvenna , william was age 29 when married at west derby liverpool , they where married in november 1902 , and william father mathew redmond did live in 59 belmont rd and on the certicate it says he deceased , he must of died in that year of williams wedding , william was my great grandfather , and his daughter elsie veronica o'fallon who was born in 25/11/1917 she was my nan and married thomas mcnally  10/8/1934.

william redmond was a engine fitter and mathew redmond was a cleark of works , school board officer
IAM WILLIAM ANTHONY MCNALLY MY NAMES IAM SEARCHING FOR ARE , MCNALLY , O'FALLON , MULHALL AND KINSELLA

FATHER WILLIAM MATHEW MCNALLY  ,  HIS FATHER THOMAS MCNALLY BORN ABT 1909 AND WENT TO AUSTRALIA AROUND LATE 40S ,  HIS FATHER WAS JOHN PATRICK MCNALLY  ALL FROM LIVERPOOL AREA AS FAR AS I KNOW
MY FATHER MUM WAS ELSIE VERONICA O;FALLON , AND HER FATHER WAS WILIIAM REDMOND O'FALLON , AND HIS FATER WAS MATHEW REDMOND O'FALLON  WILLIAM REDMOND WAS BORN 1872 .

Offline alecjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 October 10 14:55 BST (UK) »
Att. William Mc Nally
I have found some notes i received from another distant relative of the O'Fallons, and it says your GGrandfather William Redmond had 10 children so you must by now have 100's of relatives.
It looks like we share the same GGGrandfather John William born Athlone Roscommon abt 1805 and his wife Jane Conry who he married abt 1831 that is missing from all relatives research and its this pair that i am keen to get any information.
Are you in touch with any O'Fallons still left in the Liverpool area ? if so they may have some information handed down over the years.
I live down on the South Coast in a place called Seaford,don't think there is any O'Fallons down here but there must be relatives still in Liverpool area as this is where many of the Irish families settled in the late 1800's
Regards
alecjack

Offline WILLIAM MCNALLY

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 October 10 15:30 BST (UK) »
wow he had 10 children , ive only been doing this a few months and have no contct with ofallons , to be honest i dont know if my nan who is elsie veronica ofallon { mcnally ]  had brothers and sisters , i think she had 1 sister who lived in llandudno in wales , and love to know who her brother and sisters where ,  do u have anything at all if there was a alex in the fmaily ?
regards
william anthony mcnally  ,  there are strong links to the ofallon name , my dad was william mathew , his brother was john and brother thomas and sister bernadette

Offline alecjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 October 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
Att. William Mc Nally
Have only got bits and pieces, but have details of your GGrandfathers brothers and sisters one of which was Albert Earnest O'Fallon born 19/12/1881Liverpool died abt 1942 at 13 Greencroft Road Wallasey Wife's name Hannah Kitching Born 14/01/1878 Settlebeck Sedburgh Yorkshire died abt 1950 at 44 Greencroft Road Poulton Wallasey.
They had 4 children.
Robert Redmond Born 6/2/1899 Killed France 1917
Irene Josephine Born 1/10/1900 Dyke Street Liverpool
Nora Lilian Born 10/11/1902 23 Salisbury Road Liverpool
Mathew Earnest Born ?        23 Salisbury Road Liverpool. Died Preston Lancs. 1960 ?
Hope this gives you something to go at.
Regards
alecjack

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 19 October 10 16:47 BST (UK) »
Hello again alecjack,

The only references I can see online are those from USA which you must have regarding JW jnr.
 Fallon (O') and Conry seem to be very common in that area and I imagined it would be difficult to track down the right families and area. The gentleman in USA says he has done a lot of research. I was going to ask you how you know the mother is jane Conry unless it has been passed down through the family.
The link between the McConnells (is that the right name as Maria is McDonnell in 1861?), the Keoghs and the Fallons seems to be evident in 1851 and 1861 censuses.
There is a death for a Ross Keogh which would perhaps substantiate the other reports re these particular Keoghs and the lost house at Keoghville that the USA  chap states elsewhere.
What is interesting/confusing between those two censuses, is those other 'children' who don't seem to fit with the McConnells:
Henry Colls son 14 yrs b Middlesex
Isabella Colls daughter 1 yrs b Middlesex

regards

heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alecjack

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 20 October 10 11:31 BST (UK) »
Hi heywood
Thanks for your interest in the O'Fallons, perhaps we may get there in the end
I have all the USA information, most of it coming from George Duffy, all my other contacts in the UK have based most of theirs on Duffy also, i think he started in the 50's, he is a descendant of the Keogh's.(Alicia marries John Keogh 1859 Hackney, emigrates, dies Old Forge Pennsylvania 5/10/1876)
Regarding Jane Conry the USA data is as follows.
John William O'Fallon B Athlone Roscommon abt 1805, thought to have died 3/3/1838 (I am suspicious of this data, if correct childrens birth dates look wrong for Mathew Redmond abt 1838 and Charlotte 1838-1840, JW Jnr. 1834 and Alicia 1838 or he is not the right JW O'Fallon snr.)
Married Jane Conry 1831 Duaghter of Mathew Conry of Kindrum. Co. Roscommon, as revealed in the index of Marriage License Bonds, Diocese of Elphin. LDS film No. 0100868. She was born 1810.
There does exists a marriege settlement deed between the O'Fallon's and the Conry's Circa 1831. It is thought to be among the Registry of Deeds in Dublin and the LDS church are thought to have a microfilm of it No. 0100868
The link to the Mc Donell's is that Peter married J W O'Fallon Snr sister Maria thus becoming the Auntie and Uncle and it was them that took the two girls to London,that fact i have proven on UK census 1851.
One very interesting detail i found which is very much a long shot, i found a Jane Conry in the 1841 census, Birmingham, right age,right time, right name if returned to maiden name, but no marriage or death cert for UK,did she then emigrate/return to Ireland ??
There is so much mystery surrounding this family that is makes it virtually impossible to leave this investigation alone, most of the decendants have given up.
With kind regards
alecjack