Author Topic: Looking For Policemen ????  (Read 35041 times)

Offline mentmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking For Policemen ????
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 23 October 08 00:27 BST (UK) »

Does anyone know where I might find the records of police who served in the City of London police 1901.

Offline Kimberly81

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Tuesday 11 November 08 14:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chris,
I'm researching my Family Tree and came across your post. I am also related to William Hunt - he was my GGG Grandfather. Thought I'd get in touch, perhaps you would like to share information?
Kimberly

Offline i_am_stewart

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 19:37 GMT (UK) »
As this thread is getting a little old, a few of the early links don't work any more. I am having real trouble finding out how to obtain police records.

From what i can make out from the above my best bet is to actually go to National Archives - Kew to get any info. I have tried searching: http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/RdLeaflet.asp?sLeafletID=104
But to me the website doesn't make any sense.

On the 1861 Census my GrGrGr Granddad (Joshua Luetchford, Born: 1821, Living: Elder Road, Norwood) occupation is listed as Police Constable. I would love to find out more. Anyone off any advice? Is it worth me posting a "Lookup request"

Sorry for my ignorance, a bit of a newbie on this FamilyTree business!  :-\

Cheers
Stewart

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 20:07 GMT (UK) »
There was an article, by Karen Foy and Simon Fowler, about the history of Police in the November edition of Ancestors magazine. They mentioned that Police records are usually held by the constabulary in question or by local record offices. In some cases records were destroyed ... either during the war or when amalgamation or reorganisation took place. The NA can tell you if there are records and where they have been deposited. Unfortunately the recording of information by the police was not standardised so some records are better than others. 

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Wednesday 21 January 09 20:46 GMT (UK) »
For all those who reported broken links on this topic:

The Black Sheep Index at  www . lightage . demon . co . uk has moved to http://www.blacksheepindex.co.uk

13.10.2007:
> Owing to demon's incompetence I am unable to provide a link to my new
> website from my old one, so please note that the Black Sheep Index,
> Police, Railway and Mining indexes are now at:
>
> wwww.blacksheepindex.co.uk
>
> I would be grateful if people will pass this on to other interested
> parties
>
> Many thanks
http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/CHESHIRE/2007-10/1192267479

the 4 w's (wwww.blacksheep..... was a typo

The Police Orders site www . policeorders . co . uk now seems to be at
http://free.dominoserver.de/information/podb.nsf

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 00:18 BST (UK) »
At the moment I am working on transcripts for the Metropolitan Police's Registers Of Leavers, in view of making them available to all on the National Archives' <a href="http://yourarchives.nationalarchives.gov.uk/">YourArchives</a> website. I have one question in relation to an aspect of my transcriptions. Would you expect to find officers who cancelled their leaving in the list?

I have a <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/34769344@N05/3236788816/in/set-72157613081627727/">photo</a> to demonstrate - it's the right-hand-side. At the moment I have not transcribed them, as they didn't technically leave the force - and as such I didn't think that they would be helpful to people. But I thought I would ask if people would think the information both helpful and important.

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 00:31 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome
From my point of view, all information in the Registers should be transcribed - although 'technically' they didn't leave, it could still help someone, just by finding their name - all little details help.
Cheers, Cougar
Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)
This information is Crown Copywrite. from the www.national archives.go.v.uk.

Offline BarnabyP

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 02:25 BST (UK) »
As I thought Cougar. Thanks for the feedback. It hopefully won't take too long to add those few that rejoined to the list. I can then start checking and when that's done, upload what I have done.

Hopefully this will prove a useful resource for those looking for ancestors in the Metropolitan Police Force.

Offline Cougar

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Wednesday 01 April 09 04:20 BST (UK) »
Congrats on doing this and for sharing - don't forget to put the site on rootschat, perhaps under a separate heading 'Police Leaving Registers' and the area or similar then leave the link with a short description of what the registers are about, the years covered etc,  so that it is easy for people to find.
Good hunting,
Cougar
Researching STANLEY(Coventry to Shoreditch area, EWENS,(somerset) BARBER,(Holloway) WOOD,(Shoreditch area) WHILLANCE,(N-U-T Northumberland)  ROSSER,(Glamorgan Wales) REYNOLDS,(Kent) SPILLER (London)
This information is Crown Copywrite. from the www.national archives.go.v.uk.