Author Topic: RAF Thorney Island  (Read 6367 times)

Offline Sunnee_Dee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
RAF Thorney Island
« on: Sunday 12 September 10 00:54 BST (UK) »
Hi  :)

I have been given this photo of my grandad, which has been kindly dated at approx 1950 in another thread - thanks Hackstaple.  8)

On the back is written:
1139321 LAC Allibon
4829 A C Flight
RAF Thorney Island

I have no idea what he did within the RAF & no clue as to what these numbers mean  ??? , so was wondering if anyone here could shed some light on it at all?

Allibon(e) - Warwickshire (Burton Dasset, Pillerton Priors/Heresy, Radford Semele, Barford)
Ballard - Worcestershire
Phillips - Swansea
Cook - Malvern
Williams - Scotland (Glasgow)
Josephs - Jamaica (Spanish Town)

Offline elinga

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My mum and dad circa 1946
    • View Profile
Re: RAF Thorney Island
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 September 10 02:00 BST (UK) »

sorry I cant help you too much but
his rank Lac means Leading Aircraftman, which is the second rank for airmen!
some of the uniforms are working and some are dress uniforms  (Number Ones)
take a look at this link and it will explain a little bit about RAF Thorney Island for you!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thorney_Island_(West_Sussex)#RAF_Thorney_Island
regards
Elinga
Everyday is a school day !!!!

McCrory/McCrorie Orr and McCafferty , Northern Ireland
Orr, Adair, McCafferty,McCrorie and McCrory, Millar,Strachan, Lewis,Linn, Arnott, Scott,Kerr,McKinnon , Jeffrey or Jaffrey,Lambie, Findlay and Meechan Ayrshire Scotland.

Offline Wendi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Peeking into the past
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 September 10 09:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunnee_Dee !

Me know nothing about the RAF either  :D but "A C Flight" would appear to stand for " Airfield Construction Flight "

You, or your Mother if she is still around can apply for his Service Record if you wished.

Wendi  :)
"Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it!  No matter if I have said it,
unless it agrees with your own reason and with your own common sense" ~ Buddha

SCOTT ~ Monmouthshire & Glamorgan
BUCKLEY ~ Cork & Manchester
FRANKLIN ~ Clerkenwell, London
BRADY ~ Kildare & Manchester
DERICK ~ France
FRIEND ~ Kent & Portsmouth
TYLDESLEY ~ Lancashire

Offline Sunnee_Dee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 12 September 10 16:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Elinga & Wendy.  :)

Thanks to you both for your helpful information.

Applying for his service record seems like a good starting point, I'll speak to my dad as it appears I'll get more information if I apply with next of kin consent.

Maybe when I have that information to hand I can make sense of the numerous dates & squadrons listed online for Thorney Island, and see where he fits into it.

Thanks again!

Dee.x
Allibon(e) - Warwickshire (Burton Dasset, Pillerton Priors/Heresy, Radford Semele, Barford)
Ballard - Worcestershire
Phillips - Swansea
Cook - Malvern

Offline Flakdodger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bo.... Odd eyes - odd brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 12 September 10 20:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunnee_Dee,
I would be inclined to date the photo a little earlier: mid-war, say 1943, given the mix of tunics.
These chaps are ground crew, rather than aircrew, but their trades are not obvious..
A C Flight is not obvious - is it written as A/C Flight?
Your Grandfather's service number was from a batch issued to recruits going into the RAF at RAF Padgate (a recruitment centre) in September 1939.
As Wedi says, obtaining his service record will give you chapter and verse - and we are here to translate any abbreviations that crop up.
Cheers
Dave
The only free cheese is in a mousetrap

Offline Sunnee_Dee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 13 September 10 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave  :)

Thanks for your info, that sounds right as I was always under the impression that he was ground crew - I'm just not sure where I heard it from, very frustrating!

It's written as 4829 AC Flight, no slash. It's just written in his own handwriting though and it looks like it was just scribbled on quickly (in crayon, lol), so who knows...

Is it normal to start out at a centre a fair way from home, in this case about 150 miles?

As you might be able to tell I know nothing at all about the military & how things work - and you can guarantee I'll be back for help with understanding his service record.  ::)  :D

Dee.x
Ballard - Worcestershire
Phillips - Swansea
Cook - Malvern

Offline Flakdodger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Bo.... Odd eyes - odd brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 13 September 10 22:33 BST (UK) »
Dee,
I still can't figure 'A C Flight'.
A Flight is a small unit (flying or non-flying). Very often with just a letter prefix, for example B Flight.
The four digit number series for Flights was in the 1300-1500 range so 4829 is a mystery to me. A C can also stand for Army Co-Operation (and a couple of the chaps appear to be wearing army battledress).
But I don't associate Army Co-Operation with Thorney Island, it being a famous Coastal Command airfield.
Don't worry about starting points, there were only a handful covering the whole country, so some sort of journey was going to be necessary.
Cheers
Dave
The only free cheese is in a mousetrap

Offline Spider!

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 13 September 10 23:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Sunnee
Your post caught my eye because of the title 'RAF Thorney Island' where I was stationed in the late 60's. I was working Argosy aircraft in those days. Probably can't help you too much. However, their uniforms are interesting. The LAC at the front, second right, has a chevron on his sleeve which is unfamiliar. We certainly did not have that sort of insignia in the 60's. I see that at least one airman is wearing gym shoes. I wonder whether this group were part of a RAF Marine Craft Unit flight. I see that RAF Thorney Island also controlled a nearby bombing range in the 50's. I think this group were part of a small RAF MCU detachment which had something to do with that range. Sorry not to clear muddy waters but it is another thought!!
Hepburn - Inverurie, Alvah
Ryrie - Keithhall, Leith
Ord - Alvah
Webster - Oldmeldrum, Kirkton Rayne, Inverurie

Offline Sunnee_Dee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 08:10 BST (UK) »
Well at least thats one confusing point that's not so confusing anymore and I don't have to try & work out what he was doing 'up north' any more!  :D Thanks Dave!

If the writing wasn't in his own hand I'd be inclined to mistrust it, but as it is I think I'll have to go with it for now even though it doesn't seem to make sense.

Spider, interesting info - and every bit helps, even a clearer picture of the place rather than just his role there is good, so thanks to you too.  :)

Sounds like there are a lot of possibilities and I guess I'm just going to have to wait til I have the info at hand to get the real story...

Patience has never been my strong point!  ::)

Dee.x
Ballard - Worcestershire
Phillips - Swansea
Cook - Malvern