Author Topic: Joseph Metcalf -Sinker in pits  (Read 2960 times)

Offline pckl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Joseph Metcalf -Sinker in pits
« on: Sunday 12 September 10 15:55 BST (UK) »
Hello,

I know from family stories and the 1901 census that my great great grandfather, Joseph Metcalf was a sinker in the pits. In 1911 he was a "coal miner deputy".

He was born 1871 at West Stanley, Durham. I believe he sunk pits at Killingworth, Morpeth and Ashington. One daughter was born at Killingworth and another at Ashington. He was deputy at Morpeth.

Would there be any records mentioning him? What pay he got?  Photos??

Thanks

pckl
LESLIE, McLEAN, CARROLL, RICHMOND, GALLIGAN, DUFFY, McCOMBS, ARCHIBALD, DYKES
STOREY, METCALF, MAVIN, KNOX, RENNER, HALL, STEEL, KEITH/McKEITH, MILLS, ROBINSON, BROWN, DAVISON, WIDDRINGTON, POTTS, JOHNSON
QUINNIN, RUDD, COYLE, BARRASS, SANDERSON, TURNBULL, GLOVER, CLEMENTSON, MAUGHAN, HUNTER, HEMPSEED, BRUCE/BREWIS
HARBERTSON, TAYLOR, SHARP, ERRINGTON, RIDDLE, HINDMARCH/HYMAS

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Metcalf -Sinker in pits
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 12 September 10 23:43 BST (UK) »
pckl,

In my research of coalminers, the only surnames I encounter in coal industry are fatalities.

But photos of sinkers seem to be popular in the modern books of past times
( the sinkers wore a thick protective hat, something like a sou'wester )

Sinkers , by the nature of their work, moved around a lot.  Perhaps as his family grew, Joseph moved to a more settled working routine, as a deputy.

What pit was he at at Morpeth ?

Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline pckl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 September 10 23:50 BST (UK) »
Hi again Michael.

I have no idea! All I know is, in 1911 he was living at 14 Edward Street, Middle Green, Morpeth...

Hi first daughter, my great grandma was born at Stanley, Durham, his home village. His second daughter was born at Ashington. 3rd daughter back at Stanley. 4th at Morpeth. They did have a son sometime, called Jack who died young. I'm not sure where he was born.

thanks

pckl
LESLIE, McLEAN, CARROLL, RICHMOND, GALLIGAN, DUFFY, McCOMBS, ARCHIBALD, DYKES
STOREY, METCALF, MAVIN, KNOX, RENNER, HALL, STEEL, KEITH/McKEITH, MILLS, ROBINSON, BROWN, DAVISON, WIDDRINGTON, POTTS, JOHNSON
QUINNIN, RUDD, COYLE, BARRASS, SANDERSON, TURNBULL, GLOVER, CLEMENTSON, MAUGHAN, HUNTER, HEMPSEED, BRUCE/BREWIS
HARBERTSON, TAYLOR, SHARP, ERRINGTON, RIDDLE, HINDMARCH/HYMAS

Offline Mr. Tibbs

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 September 10 08:14 BST (UK) »
I checked where you are from because, if you haven't already visited, it is worthwhile going to Woodhorn Mining Museum for a wider understanding of the life the miners led.  There are many archives there too.  I, too, doubt that you will find mention of your ancestor's name but you never know.  Maybe like my grandfather your ancestor had a hobby that surprised you: mine was oil painting.  At Woodhorn there is an art exhibition of the "Pitman Painters" and explanation of how miners came to paint among other interests.  Another place to visit is the Mining Institute next to the Lit and Phil in Newcastle.  Here, you get a real insight into the link between mining and engineering and how Newcastle became the global hub of engineering in the nineteenth century.  These visits would "put bones" on your understanding of miners and the lives of them and their families.  Good luck with your research.

Offline thomas1879

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 September 10 19:50 BST (UK) »
if you go on the durham mining web site they have names of miners i found my great grandad on this
hedley frost gwynn nevison hopkins

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 28 August 21 00:31 BST (UK) »
This is a very old thread but it came up when I was googling  'pit sinkers' (some of my ancestors were sinkers).

This book, a little old now, may be of interest:

https://east-durham.co.uk/the-pit-sinkers/

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 28 August 21 06:17 BST (UK) »
http://www.durhamrecordoffice.org.uk/article/11118/Hidden-Depths-Search-Results?SearchType=AtoZ&SearchStart=A

Another good site is the 'Hidden Depths' of the Durham Archives.  I found a couple of items (letters) on here relating to my Great Grandfather, amongst other things.  This was long before Covid so I was able to view the originals at the Archives.  Items of interest. can be ordered and purchased though.

Incidentally, for anyone wishing to learn more about what life was like for mining ancestors I would thoroughly recommend 'Tommy Turnbull A Miner's Life' by Joseph Robinson.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21362117-tommy-turnbull

(The book is about the life of the author's Uncle by marriage and not his Grandfather as related on link.)

I have been to Beamish and Woodhorn which are both brilliant but I didn't know the half of how tough things would have been for my coal mining ancestors until I read this biography.  Reading about the coal strikes after the Great War (which were really shut outs by the mine owners until miners agreed to accept new crippling terms) was a real eye opener. :o

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 28 August 21 10:08 BST (UK) »
My ancestors and kin were miners in many places - the Midlands, North Wales, Yorkshire, Northumberland  and Durham and Lancashire. I grew up in a coal mining village in north Wales*. My father was a face worker and was badly injured. He worked on in pain so that his two daughters could go to university. He, uncles and neighbours often recounted mining stories and of fatal accidents to their mates.

I was specifically referencing the occupation of Pit Sinker.

* I forgot to mention the ones who went to USA
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 August 21 11:16 BST (UK) »
This is a very old thread but it came up when I was googling  'pit sinkers' (some of my ancestors were sinkers).

This book, a little old now, may be of interest:

https://east-durham.co.uk/the-pit-sinkers/

Thanks for that - one of my ancestors was a sinker. I've just put the book on reserve at the library  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk