Author Topic: Trow family of Berriew  (Read 6323 times)

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Gwell Angau na Chywilydd - Mametz Wood 1916
    • View Profile
Trow family of Berriew
« on: Wednesday 06 April 05 11:57 BST (UK) »
Does anybody know of the family of Joseph Trow, born approx 1815 probably Berriew or Welshpool.   He was a butcher and his daughter, Jane, was born about 1836 in Berriew.   She married Joseph Renfrey 1 July 1856 in Welshpool Parish Church.   Any information on Joseph and family most welcome
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Jump into your genes...and dig up your roots
    • View Profile
Re: Trow family of Berriew
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 21:33 BST (UK) »
Hi

I took an interest in your post because I too have a line of TROW in my family tree, although mine originated from Mochdre, Montgomeryshire.

I have searched the 1851 Montgomeryshire census and cannot find any Joseph Trow.  He must have either died by that date, or moved out of the area.

The only possibility that I could find for his daughter Jane is the following:

At Little Llandinier, Berriew

Jane Trow age 18 years, House maid born in MGY Berriew.

Maybe someone who has access to the 1841 Montgomeryshire census could find them for you.

Jan

All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

TROW From Wales to New Zealand

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 23:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan, thanks for the respose.   I know that Joseph Trow was alive in 1851 because I have his daughter's marriage certificate from 1856.   I originally thought that they came from the south of the county where there are many Trows.   I shall try the 1841 Census next as you suggested.   Regards Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk   Research:   Clements, Jenkins, Jones, Williams, Davies, Renfrey in Cardiganshire.   Trow, Jones, Clayton in Montgomeryshire.  Renfrey, Datsun, May, Stephens in Cornwall.   Foster in Liverpoo.l   Milliner, Fry, in Gloucestershire.  Mawby, Popple in Rutland.   Kent, Fry, Robinson, Nott, Griffiths in Somerset.   Willis in Oxfordshire.   Fishlock, Snell, Fry, in Wiltshire

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 06 April 05 23:38 BST (UK) »
Just a thought....................where was Jane living at the time of her marriage?

Jan
All UK Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Bennett, Owen, Owens, Hudson, Crisp, Challinor/Challoner/Chaloner, Lewis, James, Richards, Simon, Mills, Evans, Trow, Davies, Turner, Beaton/Betton, Lloyd, Jenkins, Evans.....and a ton of JONES!!!!

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 07 April 05 00:51 BST (UK) »
The marriage certificate says Welshpool...........................which covers a multitude of sins.  The witnesses were both Joneses, David and Sarah, also not too helpful unless Sarah was a sister who became incognito by marrying a Jones!   Dave (Jones)

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 07 April 05 21:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

I have had another look and came across this family living in Llandyssul.  Note that the Head of the family was not at home on census night - could that be your Joseph ???

TROW, Jane, wife 49 years ag labs wife and children
Thomas 24 years, David 22 years,  Charles 11 years, James 8 years and Jane 14 years

I have looked through the 1851 again for a Joseph Trow, to see whether he was visiting somewhere but can't find any!!! 

In the 1891 census I found one of my TROW's visiting a family in Shropshire!  It might be worth you posting a look up on the Shropshire Board for Joseph - you never know ;)

Hope this help a bit anyway.

Jan

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 April 05 13:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan,
Thanks for the thought, but unfortuately this is not my Jane Trow.   She married Joseph Renfrey, a Cornish miner, in Welshpool in 1856.   The family then lived in Berriew where the first 5 children were born.   2 girls died in 1866 - fever outbreak - and sometime between then and 1869, when the next child was born, the family (Renfrey) moved to Aberystwyth.   Joseph Renfrey and Jane (Trow) died there in 1899.   By the way Joseph Renfrey was not present on 1881 Census day either.
Perhaps Joseph Trow will appear on the 1861 Census.   Josephs seem to be a bit elusive!
Thanks again

Dave

Offline Lloydy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 11 April 05 09:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave

I've found Joseph Renfrey and his family in 1861, living at Abernant, in the parish of Berriew.

Joseph Renfrey 26 year old Bricklayer Labourer, his wife Jane age 26 and their children:

Mary J age 4, Joseph T age 2 and Emily A age 1

Joseph, Mary J and Joseph T were all born in Cornwall (CON), Jane and Emily A were born Berriew, Montgomeryshire.

It would appear that after Joseph and Jane's marriage in 1856 they went back to Cornwall for Mary's birth in 1857 and Joseph's in 1859.  By 1860 they would have been back in Berriew for Emily's birth.

Jan

Offline davierj

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 11 April 05 17:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

This is the family and thanks for the info.   Emily A together with her as yet unborn sister, Amelia, died 1866.   Joseph T also features in the 1871 Aberystwyth Census, as does the rest of the family, but he and his father are both missing in the 1881.   Probably away from home!   The father is a Plasterer's Labourer in 1871 and by 1881 he is a mine engineer (Jane is shown as a Mine Engineer's wife).   Perhaps whille he was moving about he took any work he could, but by 1881 he was settled in Aber and want back to his original job of hard rock miner.
Another anomaly is that in the 1871 Joseph T's place of birth is given as Berriew.
This is what makes it all so intersting!

Cheers Dave