Author Topic: McMAHONS of TUMGRANEY/TUAMGRANEY/TOMGRANEY  (Read 5002 times)

Offline rryan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McMAHONS of TUMGRANEY/TUAMGRANEY/TOMGRANEY
« on: Tuesday 14 September 10 01:13 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on my McMAHON family.Michael born abt 1799 to Patrick McMAHON & Helen COLLINS.On Michaels death cert it states he came from Tuamgraney or Tuamgarry Clare.Needs to be clarified.
Any info greatly apprecieted.
Thanks Rae

Offline McMahonCore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Core, Feakle, Co Clare, Ireland.
    • View Profile
Re: McMAHONS of TUMGRANEY/TUAMGRANEY/TOMGRANEY
« Reply #1 on: Monday 15 September 14 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Rae,

I realise this is an old message and this may be way off base but here are my thoughts on where these McMahon's might be from.

From what I gather here and from other messages that you have posted elsewhere this is the timeline we are dealing with:

- Patrick McMahon (married to Helen Collins)
 - Son Michael McMahon (b~ 1799 married Catherine Griffin)
 - Their Son Patrick McMahon (b~  1836)
 - Michael & Patrick McMahon emigrated to Australia ~ 1850 -1860.

It is possible that Patrick McMahon was from the townland of Capparoe, Tomgraney (land owner in 1827). There are only 2 Collins listed in the Applottment Books in Tomgraney & 1 in the Griffith Valuation. Patrick Collins is a land owner in the townland of Coolagoree, Tomgraney which is only a mile from where Partick McMahon would have lived. Similarly, the only Griffins listed in the Griffith Valuation in Tomgraney are in the townland of Fossamore which is also only a mile from where Patrick McMahon lived.

There are no McMahon's listed in Capparoe in the Griffith Valuation so its possible that this may be a result of Michael and Patrick emigrating in 1850's?

From my point of view I believe that the Patrick McMahon that I mention here from Capparoe is possibly a brother to my ggg grandfather John McMahon. John was a land owner across the river in the neighbouring townland of Core, parish of Feakle in the early 1800's. Most of the families in Core at this time look to have origins in Tomgraney. Also all my family back to my gg grandfather at least are buried in Tomgraney.

This is all just speculation but if you have any more recent thoughts on this let me know.

Regards,
Noel McMahon.

Offline tgarwood

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 November 15 01:03 GMT (UK) »
NOEL-

I believe somehow these McMahon's are somehow part of my husband's family. 

James Fitzgerald (1802-1869) married Catherine McMahon on 18 Apr 1842 in Shanagolden in Limerick Co

They had many children. One being:

Michael McMahon Fitzgerald (our relative) immigrated to Australia.  He married Bridget Sharkey from Ireland in 1891 in Victoria Australia.

I have had some difficulty getting the Ireland information on the McMahon/Fitzgerald Family. I have information organized on ancestry tat I can screen shot and attach or email.

Let me know if you are familiar with any of these names.

Thanks
Tina

Offline McMahonCore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Core, Feakle, Co Clare, Ireland.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 November 15 10:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tina,

Good to hear from you. All I have from this potential branch of the family is what is above. It's only speculation given the information I have and knowledge of the local area. Send you on what you have and I can reply with my family tree. I have no record of a Carherine McMahon but given she was born around 1800 and moved to Limerick that's not surprising.

I'll send you a PM with my e-mail address.

Regards,
Noel.

Offline bobjudybrown4042

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 15 January 18 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Am looking for information on the parents of timothy Mcmahon b1841 and wife Mary Horan b.1841.  They had numerous children including Catherine, Ellen, Mary, Patrick, John, Tim, Michael, and Margaret.  They occupied a farm on that fronted on the Corrakyle Road and on the back side was bounded by the Corra River.  Also any information on John, Tim, and Michael who remained in Ireland.
Thanks
Bob Brown

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 15 January 18 07:01 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 15 January 18 07:04 GMT (UK) »
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp  for Civil Registers

Just put Surname in and  Scarriff  as district

You can select B D or M's  from options on left and also decades
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.