Author Topic: Walsh of Wexford  (Read 51498 times)

Offline Plover

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walsh of Wexford
« Reply #18 on: Monday 11 May 09 22:47 BST (UK) »
Hi Raine,
Sorry for delay in replying. Internet problems!
It looks like your husband and I are second cousins. Lanigan was my mother's grandfather. I was born and grew up in Wexford and now live about an hour away. My sister is our "expert" on family and relations.
I cannot send any emails at this time as yr email address was blocked by rootschat. It is only possible after we exchange a number of messages, so this is a start.
Plover

Offline talmid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 17:29 BST (UK) »
Greetings - thanks for responding. look forward to the time that the block is lifted and we can exchange information via e-mail.
Best regards
Raine

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 12 May 09 18:41 BST (UK) »
You need to have at least 3 posts before you can use PM system:
www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Plover

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 17 May 09 15:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Raine
After a few more messages we should be able to exchange private messages via rootschat.  Plover

Offline MirPG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 May 09 16:27 BST (UK) »
HI Raine,
Capt. Tom or Lanigan Walsh lived in No.3 William Street, Wexford. His son Joe (a lighthouse keeper) & wife Lizzie and family later lived in No 1.  However, they have all moved from the Street now and N0. 3 was a B&B.  My late Aunt Kitty and her cousin Mary from Africa stayed  there some years ago while Mary was on a visit to Ireland. I think that would have been in the 1980's.   Lanigan was married to Mary Codd, 1st cousin of the mother of well known song writer Thomas Moore. There is a small booklet on the seafaring families of Wexford and a number of the Walsh family are mentioned in it, including my grandfather Pat. However I do not have a copy of it. My late Aunt Kitty,knew and was in touch with members of the family in Africa while she worked on the Cunard Liners that visited there and her daughter has met members of Alice's family while there a few years ago.

Offline Summerhill

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 22:24 BST (UK) »
Rattler,The 1911 census for Co. Wexford is now on line.I had a wee look and indeed there are walsh's listed in Bannow on that census.

Offline rattler

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 03 June 09 22:28 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I have been waiting for that to happen. Will make it a good deal easier for those of us living outside Ireland.  Anne
Wexford Town..
Harpur. O'Rourke. Foley. Walsh. Furlong.

Offline MirPG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 04 June 09 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Raine,
I forgot to mention in my last email that Lanigan also had a son Willie (William) who lived with his wife Maggie in The Faythe in Wexford Town with their family.  I only knew one Fr. Pat (A P.P. in Bolton, England.) but there were other boys in the family.  Lanigan had daughters also but I did not know them.  My Mother went on holidays as a child to cousins nearby in Swan View.  They may have been the Hogans. I had an uncle Billy a seaman, who was drowned age 21 in Argentia. I have a first cousin Billy and The Irish Olympic Boxing Manager is also another Billy in the family.
I spoke with my cousin Terry in England last week and told her of this website.  She has visited Alice's family in Capetown and still has contact with them.  Another counsin's husband has done a Family Tree which I have.  I will be in touch again.

Offline talmid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 06 June 09 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for further information. Am really getting behind with putting together all the information that I am being given. Thank you so much for all the input.