Author Topic: "Twens" County  (Read 4539 times)

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"Twens" County
« on: Tuesday 14 September 10 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hi all

i was wondering if anyone could help me out, as to where Twens County is in Ireland please,

Im trying to find the parents to Mary Sedman born 1825 "twens county" ireland.

Mary is with James Moss in Holbeck, Leeds in 1851 as married, they got married 1848 Leeds.

many thanks
Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline culbaire

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: "Twens" County
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 17:24 BST (UK) »
could that be queens county which is county Laois

Offline Hackstaple

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Family researcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 17:29 BST (UK) »
It is a poor transcription but also poorly written by the enumerator. It is Queen's County.
Southern or Southan [Hereford , Monmouthshire & Glos], Jenkins, Meredith and Morgan [Monmouthshire and Glos.], Murrill, Damary, Damry, Ray, Lawrence [all Middx. & London], Nethway from Kenn or Yatton. Also Riley and Lyons in South Africa and Riley from St. Helena.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 17:44 BST (UK) »
Thankyou all,

Shall i post my query there in queens county then? or is anyone be able to tell me how i would find her parents please.

much appriciated

Weenie
Names i am researching are: Riley, Peaker, Jones,Smith, Dobson, Ford, Humphries, Cross, Peckston, Power, Raby, Raper, Snipe Hulse, Whelan, Darling, Morton, Wild, Moss, Ibbotson, Grimes, Broadbelt, Jowett, Nicholson
Areas of interest: Leeds, Castleford, Wakefield, Kent, Westham, Northumberland, Lancashire, Pontefract,  Flintshire, Liverpool

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 17:53 BST (UK) »
If I were you I'd ask a Moderator to move your enquiry to the Laois board, to avoid duplication.

Tracing Irish relatives this far back can be tricky.  Statutory birth records only started in 1864. Prior to that you are relying on church records which are often incomplete. Ideally you need to know the person's religion, and the parish or townland they came from.

Elwyn
Elwyn

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 17:58 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Elwyn,

that is all i know really unfortunatly, the other census just says Ireland. Although her son was from Birr

Will ask a mod to move it thankyou agtain

Weenie

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 18:20 BST (UK) »
or is anyone be able to tell me how i would find her parents please.

do you not have her father's name from the marriage cert ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline weenie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 18:27 BST (UK) »
i dont im afraid, one of my many lists of certs to get

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 14 September 10 18:42 BST (UK) »
It would be very useful in helping you confirm, or rule out, any baptisms you may find later. The marriage cert may also help establishing the religion for Mary's family.

see : Introduction to Irish Records

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests