Author Topic: Isherwood + Whiteley  (Read 2001 times)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Isherwood + Whiteley
« on: Tuesday 14 September 10 17:53 BST (UK) »
Has anyone got any ideas where a middle name "Whiteley" is likely to have popped up in an Isherwood family? They seem to go back to Bolton, early 19th C; but I can't find any "Whiteley" married in... any brainwaves from the wonderful experts out there?
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Isherwood + Whiteley
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 September 10 09:32 BST (UK) »
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 16 September 10 22:10 BST (UK) »
Actually, that was one of the first places that I did try. The name appeared as a middle name about the mid1800s, and I haven't found it, despite trawling through the Lancs site umpteen times under all possible permutations. Thanks for the advice, though - perhaps I'm just very myopic. I'll try - again. Perhaps they've entered some more records in the months since I last tried.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 02 October 10 23:18 BST (UK) »
I'm still hopelessly seeking theWhitley connection. I'm pretty certain that it came as a "married-in" name, and I'me fairly sure there's a Bolton connection ( Bolton le-Moors) but I cannot rack it down. I'm happy as far back as robert Isherwood b. c 1823 Bolton, but uncertain further. any suggestions?

Offline Just Kia

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • RIP Grandma 17/01/1923-27/06/2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 09 October 10 03:55 BST (UK) »
I would suggest that you trace those lines back (if it's of interest) and you may find your Whitley comes from one of the women who married in or a sister/brother -in-law being remembered in the name. It could be a local person or a benefactor who is remembered in the name or it could be a famous figure of the time.

I had a "Gladstone" crop up and puzzled over it as I couldn't find any such relatives... I'd have spent less time looking if I had brushed up on my history - Gladstone was the name of the prime minister at the time.

I have to say I my interest was piqued by the name ISHERWOOD as I've got 2 instances of it on (seemingly) unconnected lines. Although, for the life of me I can't find the second instance - I'll look again in the morning - time to sleep now.

Edit:
Found it. It turned up originally as the middle name of one of the daughters of Martin and Mary Knight in Manchester. It turned out to be her mother's maiden name.
WIMBUSH - Everywhere :: MARLOW/JECOCK/JUSTICE - Northamptonshire/Warwickshire/Oxfordshire :: SCALES/BRIDGES/ENGLISH/SPINK/PETCH/GOOCH/COCKSEDGE - Suffolk :: GARRETT/GIBBS/FEARN - Warwickshire :: DEVOS - Scotland (Aberdeen)/France(Dunkerque) :: MURRAY - Ireland(Down)/Scotland(Lochs) :: TIGHE/TREACY - Cork

Stanley Charles SCALES b.1899 - Where are you?    ***   

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 February 11 17:32 GMT (UK) »
Update (of a sort) : Recent information has suggested that any Whiteley / Isherwood marriage may have been in Yorkshire - possibly in the Halifax area!! Oh dear, it gets wider still and wider! Is there any wonderful Riding-wide free searchable on line site to get me started, for the Old West Riding, like the Lancashire Parish Clerks Project does for Lancashire, does anyone know?